Value of Jake Gardiner to the Jets

WHLfollower

Sep 16, 2013
As there were talk on the Hot stove about Jake Gardiner, teams are asking about him. Would the jets make a move on him. Personally I think his value roughly a late round 1st to a 2 2nd round pick. I would offer to the jets would be something like this.

To Jets
Gardiner + 2nd round pick + Raymond Mason

To Leafs

Jacob Trouba + J.C Lipon or different prospect

Raymond will add to Jets special teams and help on the wing side of things. Gardiner can be slotted as the 2nd pair out the gate.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
If you guys don't like the trade proposal, either:

A> Counter

B> Ignore it

C> Explain why you don't like it.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
As there were talk on the Hot stove about Jake Gardiner, teams are asking about him. Would the jets make a move on him. Personally I think his value roughly a late round 1st to a 2 2nd round pick. I would offer to the jets would be something like this.

To Jets

To Leafs

Raymond will add to Jets special teams and help on the wing side of things. Gardiner can be slotted as the 2nd pair out the gate.

Raymond has no value on a 1-year deal, and teams generally don't trade guys they just signed on a 1-year deal because it is seen as in bad faith. At the trade deadline, maybe.

It would take a lot for Trouba, more than anyone would offer, like a legitimate #1 centre.

The best the Jets could offer for Gardiner would probably be Postma and a pick or prospect.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

To Jets

To Leafs

Trouba is worth more than everything coming back.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
I wouldn't do that trade. We need a guy like Trouba. Moves the puck, is a tough kid, competitive, etc

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Also I've watched 2 of the first 3 Leafs' games, and Gardiner was the worst player on the Leafs in both games. Guy cannot stay on his skates to save his life, gives away the puck left and right. We don't need another strictly offensive minded defenseman.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
The Jets are overflowing with offensive minded D-Men so there would be very little offered for one that can maybe crack the bottom pairing if someone is injured.

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
Raymond has no value on a 1-year deal, and teams generally don't trade guys they just signed on a 1-year deal because it is seen as in bad faith. At the trade deadline, maybe.

It would take a lot for Trouba, more than anyone would offer, like a legitimate #1 centre.

The best the Jets could offer for Gardiner would probably be Postma and a pick or prospect.

Same could also be said of Gardiner, they are high on him as much as Jets are on Trouba. Toronto would also want a "legitimate #1 centre" or a top paring dman so basically it would take an overpayment to move him.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Same could also be said of Gardiner, they are high on him as much as Jets are on Trouba. Toronto would also want a "legitimate #1 centre" or a top paring dman so basically it would take an overpayment to move him.

Gardiner doesn't even belong in the same sentence as Trouba.
Trouba looks to have the ability to be a top 10 D man.
Gardiner is no where near that.

There probably are teams that will pay highly for a young mobile defenseman but the Jets aren't that team.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
[mod]
I'd rather believe that the OP doesn't understand the relative value of all the players involved.

I'll politely say, the Winnipeg Jets decline.

Last edited by a moderator:

troubadour*

Trouba for Gardiner straight up sounds like a swell deal to me get it done Chevy

WHLfollower

Sep 16, 2013
Trouba for Gardiner straight up sounds like a swell deal to me get it done Chevy

As a leaf fan that be great. As a Jet fan umm no thanks. You are way over rating Gardiner. He still a good d-man just he does not suit the leaf style of play, if he goes to Jets, Caps, Canucks, or even Calgary.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
No.

Trouba is a cornerstone type of D-man. Gardiner is a peripheral D-man on a good team. 'Nuff said.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
To the Leafs: Trouba + Wright+ 6th round pick + 7th round pick

To the Jets: Kessel, Kadri, Reimer and Phaneuf

:sarcasm:

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
As a leaf fan that be great. As a Jet fan umm no thanks. You are way over rating Gardiner. He still a good d-man just he does not suit the leaf style of play, if he goes to Jets, Caps, Canucks, or even Calgary.

He was being sarcastic because your proposal is ludicrous.

No offence Jet, but do you think this is a trade offer the Jets would entertain for a second?
It seems like having this thread open will only lead to smart ass comments from Jets fans.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I'll go with C.)

While Gardiner is a great player and all that...I'm not really seeing why we need him with Buff and Toby. Bogo has some offensive upside and I would take Trouba over Gardiner everyday of the week. Trouba reminds me of a young Chris Pronger with that mean streak...all be it a clean one...and that offensive upside, granted not as high.

Raymond really adds nothing to the equation, and while I would have loved to sign the guy there's no way I'd give up anything of value for a soon to be UFA, unless we were in the playoff hunt. In which case I wouldn't be selling off Trouba anyways.

The 2nd round pick is nice though, but we went out of our way to acquire extra for the 2013 draft with the knowledge that this year was probably going to be a wash and the draft isn't as deep.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
As others have pointed out on here, Mason Raymond has no value to the Jets on a one year contract, so what we're really looking at is:

Jake Gardiner + a second

for

Jacob Trouba + a prospect

That's a ridiculous offer. It's also been said that it would take a serious overpayment to pry Trouba out of TNSE's hands, and I don't see MLSE biting on anything like that.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I dont see any value in the Jets taking Gardiner.
I don't think I see a need for the Jets.
Especially at the price you are asking.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
as a Torontonian who is force-fed the Leafs and has followed the Gardiner Follies for the past few years, i'd state that Gardiner is and always has been over-rated by Toronto brass.
he excelled in a very good D system that employed sub-par talent.
last year's whole concussion/benching thing was mystifying.
this season, Gardiner looks too light on his skates and like he can't do much of anything.

i think that the real Gardiner's top potential is a #4 d-man. he'll never be better than that.
Trouba's ceiling is a #1 all-star d-man, and that's w/o Toronto sports media hyperbole that was slathered on Gardiner. Trouba is going to be that good.

so, the short answer to the OP is: that trade would never be done by Wpg.

if the Jets were to acquire Gardiner, it honestly would be for Postma and a 2nd round draft pick. and that would be a great trade for Toronto, since I'd make the trade for Postma and a 4th round pick. in the end, the Jets don't need Gardiner, so no trade would likely take place.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

To Jets

To Leafs

Since Clitsome was also slotted on the 2nd pair coming out of the gate, how about:

To Jets

Morgan Rielly + mid-level prospect

To Leafs

Clitsome + 2nd round pick (2015) + your pick of bottom 6 player on the last year of their contract who isn't a RFA.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Since Clitsome was also slotted on the 2nd pair coming out of the gate, how about:

To Jets

Morgan Rielly + mid-level prospect

To Leafs

Clitsome + 2nd round pick (2015) + your pick of bottom 6 player on the last year of their contract who isn't a RFA.

I'd take that deal.

I must also say that OP picked an awful time to make this post, seeing as we had just lost an atrocious game. Didn't help our receptiveness to this proposal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->