Value of J Williams

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I don't see Pittsburgh and the Kings being good trading partners in pretty much any situation. If Toffoli was ready for big minutes, I think the Kings would be more willing to trade Williams. Toffoli still has some work to do in the minors, though, so the Kings don't really have the luxury of trading away a top-six winger unless they're getting one back.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Fair enough. We don't really have any legit top 6 guys we could send back. Just looking around for 2nd line guys with a RHS.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I don't see Pittsburgh and the Kings being good trading partners in pretty much any situation. If Toffoli was ready for big minutes, I think the Kings would be more willing to trade Williams. Toffoli still has some work to do in the minors, though, so the Kings don't really have the luxury of trading away a top-six winger unless they're getting one back.

This^

That said if TT were ready JW is a proven performer and would likely cost a high pick and an upper prospect depending on where and who.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Williams in the perfect top six play maker.

Tofolli wouldn't Replace Williams anyway, they play a different game.

Pearson is more like Williams.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Style-wise, yes. But Toffoli and Williams are right wings, while Pearson is a left wing.

They can play ether wing, Just like Vey can.

Tofolli has spent time at LW. The King like to draft guys that start out Centers and can play both wings.

Vey can play all three spots, Pearson can play both wings. Tofolli has played Center in Jr's and has time at both wing spots.

Does anyone remember what Nolan was drafted as ? A Center.

Loki taught the Kings a lesson, don't draft guys that can't play other spots.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Also getting lost in all the Tofolli talk (awesome kid).

Is Linden Vey, Id argue Vey is Manchester's best player.

Leads the team in points, plays a 200 ft game, Not afraid to hit people. Win's faceoff's at a decent rate.

Vey can also play all three spots up front.

LAX attack*

I disagree with y'all, I think Williams is very movable, he has his moments but those moments are not enough to justify those other times when he is invisible or outright atrocious. Two things however, one, he is on a contract that is looking like it is an absolute bargain, and two, the Kings don't have enough offensive depth to let Williams go. Oh yeah, he's probably only worth a 2nd round pick at this point. Quite frankly if we were to do a deal with the Pens, I'd want Orpik back in return for Williams to solidify the d-corps for the next 2-3 years.

northernKing

Jul 15, 2004
Just curious as to what it would take to get him in Pittsburgh? Recognizing that LA has no real reason to move him.

Well LA could use another veteran on d and Lombardi did have interest in Martin as an UFA a few yrs back. Plus moving Williams would make room on RW for Iginla lol!

KingKopitar11*

I think Toffoli would do well if he replaced JW. Kopitar is much more of a play maker and TT is more of a natural sniper. Tall and what not, and Kopitar is more of a passer so he can set up TT. I'm not saying he's overall better than JW but he has a really good size and shot which is sort of missing from the Kopitar line

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Well LA could use another veteran on d and Lombardi did have interest in Martin as an UFA a few yrs back. Plus moving Williams would make room on RW for Iginla lol!

As bad as Kings fans want to believe Iggy can be had for cheap.

The conversation would start and end with Tofolli as the starting piece.

The Flames are not going to trade Iggy in short season for throw away's.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
As bad as Kings fans want to believe Iggy can be had for cheap.

The conversation would start and end with Tofolli as the starting piece.

The Flames are not going to trade Iggy in short season for throw away's.

They won't trade Iggy at all unless they are out of the playoff picture. If they do fall out though, it won't matter if it's a short season or not.

I bet even as a rental Iggy would cost something along the lines of a 1st, a 2nd, one of our better prospects (Toffoli, Vey, Pearson, Forbort, etc., likely give Calgary a list to choose from) and some veteran who has several seasons ahead of him like Lewis or Clifford or King. Roughly what rentals like Hossa and Kovalchuk fetched for Atlanta.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
They won't trade Iggy at all unless they are out of the playoff picture. If they do fall out though, it won't matter if it's a short season or not.

I bet even as a rental Iggy would cost something along the lines of a 1st, a 2nd, one of our better prospects (Toffoli, Vey, Pearson, Forbort, etc., likely give Calgary a list to choose from) and some veteran who has several seasons ahead of him like Lewis or Clifford or King. Roughly what rentals like Hossa and Kovalchuk fetched for Atlanta.

Ohhhh I got a "Bingo"

"You just say Bingo"

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007
Two quotes I live by in sports.

Herb Brooks:"I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right players"

Coach Miller: "KYP" Know your personnel.

Williams is not the problem. Our forwards are not the problem. With Mitchell out Kings need a veteran defenseman - Muzzin is not the answer, Drewiskie is not the answer, but until Dean finds somebody at the right price these guys will have to step up. It is not that these guys are terrible but it puts a strain on Greene, Voynov, and Martinez, to have to play minutes that they are not comfortable at yet. Mitchell is so important to a team he is the #1 guy next to Quick when I think importance to the way this team plays.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I disagree with y'all, I think Williams is very movable, he has his moments but those moments are not enough to justify those other times when he is invisible or outright atrocious. Two things however, one, he is on a contract that is looking like it is an absolute bargain, and two, the Kings don't have enough offensive depth to let Williams go. Oh yeah, he's probably only worth a 2nd round pick at this point. Quite frankly if we were to do a deal with the Pens, I'd want Orpik back in return for Williams to solidify the d-corps for the next 2-3 years.

His contract coupled with his production would land us a first round pick +. I mean how many comparable wingers to JDub can you find out there? Add that to our lack of NHL ready top 6 prospects and the Kings asking price would be up in a similar range. 1st + pretty good prospect for JDub.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad