Value of bottom D

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I would not to see Hjeda, EJ, Wilson, or O'Byrne moved, but with the amount of teams beginning to need depth and replacements on D, curious as to what Hunwick, O'Brien, and even possibly Zannon could fetch. I would personally prefer picks/prospects to begin building our depth at both Wings.

Ideas?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The reason other teams want defenders is because you're going to have a lot of injuries this year. That's the reason we can't trade any of ours.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The reason other teams want defenders is because you're going to have a lot of injuries this year. That's the reason we can't trade any of ours.

This, its becoming quite obvious injuries are gonna be a real problem for everyone this year, we need as much depth on Defense as we can, forwards too.

I actually think we should trade a pick for forward depth if we make any moves. Defense has plenty of depth but offense is lacking.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

Would rather move one or two of our healthy scratch guys and gain some assets while we still have Gaunce, Elliot, and Barrie to platoon up and down from LEM to cover injuries if needed.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Would rather move one or two of our healthy scratch guys and gain some assets while we still have Gaunce, Elliot, and Barrie to platoon up and down from LEM to cover injuries if needed.

Having NHL capable defenders that can play when injuries happen is a bigger asset than another 3rd round pick.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Having NHL capable defenders that can play when injuries happen is a bigger asset than another 3rd round pick.

I don't think it would be a bad idea at the deadline, especially if it's Hunwick. Not that I have anything against the guy (anymore), but he's going sooner or later.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
None of those guys are getting traded this year. Zanon just signed a multi year deal as a UFA, and O'Brien and Hunwick gave up their UFA right to sign multi year deals.

Teams don't trade players like that in their first years. It hurts their chances with other UFA's.

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
I don't want to get rid of Zanon so fast. Its only been 4 games. Let the guy build some chemistry. So far I'd say he's played up to my expectation of him.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Improving the bottom D won't have results unless the 2nd pairing D isn't fixed.

O'Byrne/Wilson/Hejda are closer to 4th-6th dmen. We need to bring in some 2nd-3rds.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Improving the bottom D won't have results unless the 2nd pairing D isn't fixed.

O'Byrne/Wilson/Hejda are closer to 4th-6th dmen. We need to bring in some 2nd-3rds.

ding ding ding. These guys shouldn't be even close to first pairing.

I think everyone will agree with this , we have EJ as a top Paird D , all the others are mostly bottom pair players

foppagirl21

Jan 16, 2011
Denver, CO
I think everyone will agree with this , we have EJ as a top Paird D , all the others are mostly bottom pair players

Yup. Obviously keep EJ as one of the top liners and Wilson / O'Byrne as the 5-6 guys. THEN find #s 2-4 and BAM - defense!

...if only it was easy.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Yup. Obviously keep EJ as one of the top liners and Wilson / O'Byrne as the 5-6 guys. THEN find #s 2-4 and BAM - defense!

...if only it was easy.

For now a top pair with EJ/Wilson , its ok... until we have a better partner for EJ . It's not the best, to have Wilson on the top pair but i'm not losing any sleep about it.
Let just say that he's the best solution , for now.

finds71

Jan 18, 2011
Canada
For now a top pair with EJ/Wilson , its ok... until we have a better partner for EJ . It's not the best, to have Wilson on the top pair but i'm not losing any sleep about it.
Let just say that he's the best solution , for now.

Best solution? Sign O`Reilly and trade Statsny for a top pairing D. :handclap:

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Zanon, O'Brien, and Hunwick were signed just before becoming UFAs, or in Zanon's case, as a UFA. Wilson was re-signed as an RFA. EJ was re-signed as an RFA.

Hejda and O'Byrne. Big Sexy isn't going to be re-signed by the Avalanche(at least up until Christmas, neither side had even thrown out a feeler) so I think he will definitely get traded. A Cup contender would love to have a big shot blocker/PKer on their bottom 4. Hejda, meh... he could go, but he's had the injury and was signed as an "expensive" free agent just 18 months ago.

I wouldn't move EJ and Wilson, and I'd re-sign O'Byrne if possible. The rest could go, but for various reasons, it's very unlikely that they do.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I'm really not too upset with Wilson's play at all over the last couple years. While he may not be a great (but I think decent) pairing with EJ and not a shut down pairing guy, I like having him in the rotation. The more i see this short season playing out, the more it feels like the Avs will let the young guys play through the year with LEM. But I can easily see at least 3 of them making the team to start 13-14.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
My only reservations about Wilson surround his injury history. Apart from that I have no problem with him sticking around.

I'd also like for us to keep O'Byrne. He was a key component of the PK's resurgence last season and Sherman made a good move by acquiring him. Too bad he followed that up by getting Hejda, O'Brien, Hunwick, and Zanon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad