GDT: Valimaki-mackey? | Flames (7-5-1) @ Canucks (6-11-0) @ 8PM MT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Andersson really needs to sit. He is no top pairing.
I'm not on the train of "people need to sit for this effort," but they need to switch something up defensively, lower the minutes of Gio/Andersson and start changing the pairings/lines around. Putting Monahan, Gaudreau, Andersson, Leivo, and Giordano on the ice with the net empty doesn't make sense to me with how they struggled. Playing the same lines as though nothing was wrong is the major issue, Ward needed to adjust more.

Reactions: Yung Rotini

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I’d skip Rittich on Monday and go right to Domingue. Teach these lifeless scrubs how out of hand it can get if you don’t have a Vezina caliber goalie to carry you
They're about due for the annual, near double digit defeat anyways.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I'm not on the train of "people need to sit for this effort," but they need to switch something up defensively, lower the minutes of Gio/Andersson and start changing the pairings/lines around. Putting Monahan, Gaudreau, Andersson, Leivo, and Giordano on the ice with the net empty doesn't make sense to me with how they struggled. Playing the same lines as though nothing was wrong is the major issue, Ward needed to adjust more.
Tkachuk needs to sit, he's been terrible all year

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Tkachuk needs to sit, he's been terrible all year
With Backlund out, this should give Ward reason to switch things up. The thing holding the Flames back from truly changing the lines was wanting to keep the Backlund line together, and wanting Bennett on the 1st line over the 4th. This hopefully opens the way for Tkachuk to be lowered down the lineup

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I wouldn’t sit Tkachuk but he’s been next level bad
I'd consider it if you're confident he takes it the right way. But I'm sure that Tkachuk knows he's struggling, everyone on the team knows he's struggling, sitting him makes it better how? Unless you're VERY confident you're assistant captain is going to be even more inspired following a scratch it's a very risky move.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Since Ward is incapable of adjusting. Sitting is the only choice to wake up these people.

You think they showed up tonight?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I'd consider it if you're confident he takes it the right way. But I'm sure that Tkachuk knows he's struggling, everyone on the team knows he's struggling, sitting him makes it better how? Unless you're VERY confident you're assistant captain is going to be even more inspired following a scratch it's a very risky move.
I think Ward's exhausted every other choice. He's let him play out of his funk and given him ample opportunities to get us "clutch" points, he's given his line softer minutes and less minutes. None of it has worked and he's gone past being invisible to becoming an outright detriment to the team.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Since Ward is incapable of adjusting. Sitting is the only choice to wake up these people.

You think they showed up tonight?
Ward adjusted once and called it a day which is by no maens good, but I'm also under the impression that no one other than Valimaki and Markstrom showed up to play. You can't sit an entire team. Maybe targetting leadership is what it takes but it seems like the Flames took a struggling team lightly, and the Canucks had their season on the line. I wouldn't mind sitting Tkachuk or Dube, or even Giordano, but picking and choosing who to sit after that effort is a tough move since it was all shit.

Reactions: DFF and Yung Rotini

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I think Ward's exhausted every other choice. He's let him play out of his funk and given him ample opportunities to get us "clutch" points, he's given his line softer minutes and less minutes. None of it has worked and he's gone past being invisible to becoming an outright detriment to the team.
The fact that Tkachuk led the team in ice time is a major issue after tonight. He's being elevated and the more I think about it giving him a night to look at things from up top would be ideal. That entire line didn't seem ideal outside of Lindholm playing angry so Tkachuk, Lindholm, and Dube leading in TOI just doesn't make sense.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Ward adjusted once and called it a day which is by no maens good, but I'm also under the impression that no one other than Valimaki and Markstrom showed up to play. You can't sit an entire team. Maybe targetting leadership is what it takes but it seems like the Flames took a struggling team lightly, and the Canucks had their season on the line. I wouldn't mind sitting Tkachuk or Dube, or even Giordano, but picking and choosing who to sit after that effort is a tough move since it was all shit.

I agreed it's hard when we have so many deserving people.

But something drastic needs to happen. I 'd rather tank than for this aimless hopeless effort.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The fact that Tkachuk led the team in ice time is a major issue after tonight. He's being elevated and the more I think about it giving him a night to look at things from up top would be ideal. That entire line didn't seem ideal outside of Lindholm playing angry so Tkachuk, Lindholm, and Dube leading in TOI just doesn't make sense.

Tkachuk has been looking crappy since scoring than fancy behind the leg goal a year ago

He thinks he is some kind of ballerina or magician or something

What he is, is a useless hockey player that doesn't deserve half his pay.

Reactions: Boomstick

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Tkachuk has been looking crappy since scoring than fancy behind the leg goal a year ago

He thinks he is some kind of ballerina or magician or something

What he is, is a useless hockey player that doesn't deserve half he is pay.
Definitely frustrated with his play. He scored the nice deflection in game 1 in Winnipeg, and hasn't done much since. Sure he has points, but he's not leading by example that's for sure. Maybe he's still thinking about Muzzin.

Reactions: DFF

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I believe this game actually shows just how vital Nikita Nesterov is to our success

Reactions: DFF

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Honestly, if we're sitting any vet, it should be Gio. He's this year's Hamonic/Wideman/Bartkowski type liability.
I don't think it's a coincedence that Gio's best game of the season was when he was kept at 18 mins of ice time. He's 37, who are we trying to fool anymore?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So I see Bennett got a goal tonight. Well I guess that's one positive about tonight's game. Other than that this team has been playing like shit so I stopped watching half way through the 2nd.... just before Benny scored apparently.

Reactions: Boomstick

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
So I see Bennett got a goal tonight. Well I guess that's one positive about tonight's game. Other than that this team has been playing like shit so I stopped watching half way through the 2nd.... just before Benny scored apparently.

Stopped watching?

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
The breakout last night was non existent. Looked like a family skate out there and then they will flub passes to each others skates. Vancouver just clogged it up and that was that.. While our D scheme is once again collapse and just let them shoot from the outside. This team plays with 0 pace most of the time and if it wasn't for Markstrom we'd have a few less wins for sure. It honestly this feels this team tries to play like the Blues, but we don't have the personnel to do it... We really need to be playing like Vegas.

Was probably the poorest I've seen any team play or right up there.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I am still sticking with that we don't have enough speed up front to create separation through all 4 lines. Monohan, Tkachuk and Lucic get alot of minutes without being able to push the puck up the ice in tight checking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad