Value of: Valeri Nichushkin

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
While Val hasn’t been great I’d much rather get rid of Pitlick, Comeau, Hanzal, or Ritchie. He’s been good when used on the third line and is solid in most aspects of the game except for his shot which might be the worst in the league.
Yeah Nuke cant find the back of the net right now but he does a lot of other things really well. He is good defensively and creates zone entries with his possession. Those 2 things + his ability to retrieve pucks in the corner still have value. He will never be close to what was hyped at draft time but I think he can be a pretty decent 3rd line RWer. Coaches love Comeau so he is here for a while but Nuke is easily better than Pitlick and Ritchie this year

Reactions: Kcb12345

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Yeah Nuke cant find the back of the net right now but he does a lot of other things really well. He is good defensively and creates zone entries with his possession. Those 2 things + his ability to retrieve pucks in the corner still have value. He will never be close to what was hyped at draft time but I think he can be a pretty decent 3rd line RWer. Coaches love Comeau so he is here for a while but Nuke is easily better than Pitlick and Ritchie this year

Exactly what I was thinking. I’m more than happy with Radulov-Gurianov-Nichushkin-Comeau down the right side. My only complaint is I wish Comeau was Russian as well. Now to fix our left wing issue.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Can Nuke play LW? We are stacked at RW but haven't figured the mix out at LW yet. Ironic because for years we were light on the RW, especially RHS RW.

Guentzel Crosby Hornqvist
Pearson Malkin Kessel
Nuke Brassard Rust
ZAR Cullen Simon

Could work for us. If you put Nuke with Malkin, you need to put Rust on the other side. Kessel/Malkin is score, but they forget to play defense a lot.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Can Nuke play LW? We are stacked at RW but haven't figured the mix out at LW yet. Ironic because for years we were light on the RW, especially RHS RW.

Guentzel Crosby Hornqvist
Pearson Malkin Kessel
Nuke Brassard Rust
ZAR Cullen Simon

Could work for us. If you put Nuke with Malkin, you need to put Rust on the other side. Kessel/Malkin is score, but they forget to play defense a lot.
He played LW a bit in Russia over the last 2 years but has mostly been RW since coming back.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Maatta, at this point is, is overpaid while playing on the 3rd pair from what I hear. However, I think if paired up with Heiskanen he could really do well. Who knows? Stars fans are fed up with Nuke and Honka, and Maatta seems to have worn out his welcome in Pittsburgh. I'm not too keen on moving Pitlick though. He was a solid on the checking line last year. Replace him with Comeau and I'd take this deal.

Maatta isn't terrible by any stretch of the imagination, he's just not a good fit and we have a lot of his type of defensemen on the blueline. When Schultz and Letang comes back, Maatta holds more value tog get back what we could need.

Comeau's contract is so dumb and bad, you need to sweeten that pot heavily for anyone to take him at this point.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I wouldn't mind that.

Lindell - Klingberg
Maatta - Heiskanen

Looks pretty solid, if you ask me. Nordic enough

Maatta would let Heiskanen rush up more often, the issue right now on the Pens is that Maatta tries to be a PMD and gets caught, but when he's in his own end, he's fine. If we didn't just add Pettersson and Johnson likely not being a guy JR wants to move, someone has to go to fix up the forward depth.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Maatta would let Heiskanen rush up more often, the issue right now on the Pens is that Maatta tries to be a PMD and gets caught, but when he's in his own end, he's fine. If we didn't just add Pettersson and Johnson likely not being a guy JR wants to move, someone has to go to fix up the forward depth.

Likely so. And well in Dallas Maatta would only need to be a number 4. Instead of the number two he has been asked in Pittsburgh. So less minutes and less pressure.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Likely so. And well in Dallas Maatta would only need to be a number 4. Instead of the number two he has been asked in Pittsburgh. So less minutes and less pressure.

Well more like #3 that he's been asked to be - Remember our #1 is Letang, then our #2 is Dumoulin. Schultz got a lot better at both ends and became our #3 (sorely miss the guy on the blueline right now). Then we had a bunch of 4/5 types in Johnson and Pettersson and Rig has been a solid #6.

Maatta is a guy that people see us complain about, mostly because we're just assholes on the Pens board. He'd do better in the West and watch, the moment he goes to the west and people see him look better there, they'll be like "Did the Pens make a mistake moving Olli?" lol.

Reactions: Jorkkila

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I liked it

I’m interested to hear your take as a fellow Kings fan who believes this is horrible value for a top 4 defenceman.

Honka’s value is low. He’s incredibly inconsistent and even with Hitchcock gone he’s shown little confidence in himself.
Nuke isn’t worth more than a mid round pick.

Where’s the upside for the Kings? Much rather target a pick and prospect over 2 reclaimation projects

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I’m interested to hear your take as a fellow Kings fan who believes this is horrible value for a top 4 defenceman.

Honka’s value is low. He’s incredibly inconsistent and even with Hitchcock gone he’s shown little confidence in himself.
Nuke isn’t worth more than a mid round pick.

Where’s the upside for the Kings? Much rather target a pick and prospect over 2 reclaimation projects

hard to say. Depends what else is out there. My ideal trade for Martinez would be a prospect on the cusp of the NHL. That to has its risks as the prospect can not pan out.

Nuke and Honka both have higher likely hood in helping the kings in the next 3 years (which I think is the kings true "re-tool" window) than a 2nd round pick would.

If LA could get a sure fire prospect for Martinez great, however if all that is being offered is a 2nd rounder I would rather go with this.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Honka, like Val, shows flashes of brilliance but most of the time seems to be a step off. Of course, that seems to be the status quo in big D right now.

flashes of brilliance but a step off seems to be status quo for a lot of young players and prospects. Is it a little too early to give up on these guys?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
flashes of brilliance but a step off seems to be status quo for a lot of young players and prospects. Is it a little too early to give up on these guys?

Val could be one of those guys that is suddenly really good at like 25 I suppose

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Caps: Nichushkin
Devils: Burakovsky
Stars: Zacha

?

I’m sure Caps could get some value out of Nuke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad