Valeri Nichushkin v. Alex Burmistrov

Skiffer55

Logan Stanley's Cup
Jun 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I don't think this is a legitimate comparison.

The two players play totally different styles. Burmistrov is a Center who is mainly a play-maker. Nichushkin is a big winger who , when on his game, can drive to the net and cycle the puck rather well.

Yes, Nichushkin has had a very disappointing season so far. No goals is not ok. I think that him going back to Russia for 2 years actually hurt his development. He needed to use that time to get adjusted to the North American game and smaller ice surface. Instead, he ended playing on the bigger ice surface in the KHL. It was a waste of his time and now he is back in North America having to once again try to adjust to the NHL...

My point is him going back to Russia will not help his game in any way. He has the talent and upside to play in the NHL. Burmistrov never did. Therefore, Nichushkin should stay in the NHL and battle through this period. If he is waiver excempt (not sure), getting more ice time in the AHL would help. If he is not waiver excempt, then he is just going to have to suck it up and work harder and try to score an ugly goal to get his confidence back.

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
He will be traded at some point this season I assume. He's had some really sweet setups to other players this season and for a while it looked like he could maybe carve out a career as a playmaker but he and his teammates can't finish to save their lives which is killing his entire game and making him just about useless. A guy as big as him with the tools he has should be better than this. I suppose some people just can't put it all together though but he's better than what the stats say imo. Stars fans love to give him a hard time because he left for Russia but really he could easily have quite a few more points this season. I don't think hip surgery was too good on his skating either obviously so that doesn't help

He needs to crash the net more and go in with more determination.

Some positives: He's good at forcing turnovers and cycling and shielding the puck as mentioned above and this year he's been good at finding the open man to setup. He's also been better defensively than expected

Last edited:

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Burmistrov was a legitimately good defensive player before he went to Russia, just couldn't score for shit. When he came back to the NHL he couldn't play offense or even defense anymore?

Very odd career trajectory

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I remember that guy being awesome the 1st year, I wonder if the right team and given a role, if he could redevelop.

I remember Jagr being one his biggest backers, too. He had such high hopes for the kid, as did most of us. Rookie season riding shotgun with Benn and Seguin seemed promising, and it's been downhill ever since.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
I think if the Jets ever got the guy, he can be reworked and put in a role that would be good for him.
Just seems that we have good luck with talented players that buy in; and they come out on top as well.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I remember Jagr being one his biggest backers, too. He had such high hopes for the kid, as did most of us. Rookie season riding shotgun with Benn and Seguin seemed promising, and it's been downhill ever since.
This Jagr thing really needs to be put to pasture. Jagr wasn't hyping Nichushkin up on his own. Jagr was back in Dallas for his first game after his short stint with the Stars, and Jagr, being good with the media, said some nice things about the Stars and praised Nichushkin. That was it. One throwaway interview before a game where a player plays nice with his former team's media guys.

Jagr never once said anything about him after that. People have given those handful of nice words far more weight than they deserve.

And Nichushkin's rookie season was 34 points. He played with two of the best forwards in the game at that time and managed 34 points. His rookie season was okay but nothing special.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
This Jagr thing really needs to be put to pasture. Jagr wasn't hyping Nichushkin up on his own. Jagr was back in Dallas for his first game after his short stint with the Stars, and Jagr, being good with the media, said some nice things about the Stars and praised Nichushkin. That was it. One throwaway interview before a game where a player plays nice with his former team's media guys.

Jagr never once said anything about him after that. People have given those handful of nice words far more weight than they deserve.

And Nichushkin's rookie season was 34 points. He played with two of the best forwards in the game at that time and managed 34 points. His rookie season was okay but nothing special.

I know it wasn't much, but it was still nice to hear glowing reviews of a young rookie from one of the game's all-time greats. And sure, it was just that one snippet....and obviously we both know that Nuke isn't likely to meet such lofty expectations anyways.

Or even come close, from the looks of it. :help:

I expected an increase on the 34 points in his soph year, but alas it was not to be. Doubt he even hits 30 points this season, six years later.

Skiffer55

Logan Stanley's Cup
Jun 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't think this is a legitimate comparison.

The two players play totally different styles. Burmistrov is a Center who is mainly a play-maker. Nichushkin is a big winger who , when on his game, can drive to the net and cycle the puck rather well.

Yes, Nichushkin has had a very disappointing season so far. No goals is not ok. I think that him going back to Russia for 2 years actually hurt his development. He needed to use that time to get adjusted to the North American game and smaller ice surface. Instead, he ended playing on the bigger ice surface in the KHL. It was a waste of his time and now he is back in North America having to once again try to adjust to the NHL...

My point is him going back to Russia will not help his game in any way. He has the talent and upside to play in the NHL. Burmistrov never did. Therefore, Nichushkin should stay in the NHL and battle through this period. If he is waiver excempt (not sure), getting more ice time in the AHL would help. If he is not waiver excempt, then he is just going to have to suck it up and work harder and try to score an ugly goal to get his confidence back.

See, but this is exactly what happened with Burmi.

Also, Burmi had awesome underlying numbers in the NHL before he went to Russia. Kid was an NHL talent and was dealt a shitty hand by Claude Noel. Then he came back and his game fell apart.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I remember people in the Vancouver draft thread were so pissed that we passed on Nich to draft a "3rd liner"

Confirmed with Link: - Canucks draft F Bo Horvat 9th Overall (1st Round)
I don't blame fans for getting these wrong when even NHL teams can't.

Fans saw Nichushkin's highlight video from his age 16 and 17 play in Russia and got excited. I got excited.

Where so many (like me) got it wrong was failing to recognize that his one dominant move of rushing the net and using his long reach to push the puck around the goalie doesn't translate to the NHL where goalies can move side to side. It turns out he can't lift the puck and has a shot equivalent to a low level beer leaguer.

Reactions: Elysian

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
The only similarity is they were both rushed into the NHL way too soon.
Especially Nichushkin considering time and patience is essential when developing big gangly power forwards. Also didnt help that he basically sat out an entire year of hockey at age 19.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad