Valeri Nichushkin placed in NHLPA assistance program stage 3 - suspended without pay for min. 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaCarriere

Clearly a popular guy at this point.

Hope they find a way to terminate his contract this offseason, pay out Nuke, and eat whatever cap hit they have to. Basically just Mike Richards the guy.

A lot more money remaining on nukes contract than Richard's. They can buy him out, but it would be around 1.7M for the next 12 years.

I dont see them being able to terminate his contract unless it comes out he did something illegal. He will probably finish his 6 months in the program and get reinstated, leaving the Avs in a crappy situation. Do they package him with assets and try to trade him and his problems away? Do they buy him out? Do they hope he's figured out his problems? That's the only 3 scenarios I see happening.

I personally think his problems may be alcohol related, given what happened last year in the playoffs, but who knows. I think if it was something illegal like coke, oxys or even weed we would have heard about possession charges by now.

If it is alcohol related, terminating his contract outright might be a lot harder that in the Richard's situation, seeing as how alcohol is legal. Richards was caught at the border with oxys without a prescription... and he even eventually got a settlement.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
So the guy like a couple bumps here and there. It’s not a performance enhancing drug.

You remove every player in the NHL who occasionally does some bumps and you’ll struggle to ice a full lineup.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Clearly a popular guy at this point.

Hope they find a way to terminate his contract this offseason, pay out Nuke, and eat whatever cap hit they have to. Basically just Mike Richards the guy.

Jack Johnson should probably just keep his mouth shut and focus on not being a pylon

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Whats the relevant section of the CBA here for players in substance abuse program? Can't seem to find it.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
A lot more money remaining on nukes contract than Richard's. They can buy him out, but it would be around 1.7M for the next 12 years.

I dont see them being able to terminate his contract unless it comes out he did something illegal. He will probably finish his 6 months in the program and get reinstated, leaving the Avs in a crappy situation. Do they package him with assets and try to trade him and his problems away? Do they buy him out? Do they hope he's figured out his problems? That's the only 3 scenarios I see happening.

I personally think his problems may be alcohol related, given what happened last year in the playoffs, but who knows. I think if it was something illegal like coke, oxys or even weed we would have heard about possession charges by now.

If it is alcohol related, terminating his contract outright might be a lot harder that in the Richard's situation, seeing as how alcohol is legal. Richards was caught at the border with oxys without a prescription... and he even eventually got a settlement.

Honestly at this point I dont think he's capable of this. Dude just came out of rehab at the end of February... Didn't even last 3 months.

I actually think he might have played his last game in the NHL period. He'll relapse over the next 6 months, get moved into "Stage 4" of the NHLPA program and never get reinstated into the league again.

Playing in the KHL by September.

Which really sucks because the dude was an absolutely sensational player, but even beyond hockey he has a young family that are likely going to be suffering the most from all of this.

Reactions: katfude and Avs44

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

Does the NHL drug test for alcohol?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Did we ever find out what really happened last playoffs, where he was also suspended mid-playoffs with that whole crazy “heavily intoxicated human-trafficked woman in his hotel room” situation? Ugly details of hotel room incident involving Valeri Nichushkin

Seems like that story just sorta disappeared without real details ever coming out?

The Avalanche quelled a lot of the info on Nichushkin’s part.
The Seattle police apparently investigated the woman and found no illegality.

I dont think we’ll ever know.

Last edited:
Reactions: ponder

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
This sucks for the Avs. Clearly a guy that is struggling with addiction. Hopefully he can get things on track so this is a one time occurance.
This is the second playoffs where he derailed his teammates' chance to win. That is incredibly selfish to everyone around him.

A one time occurence is being caught in say, Singapore with 1 kg of marijuana. They give you the noose and hang you at dawn for that in 2024.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Did we ever find out what really happened last playoffs, where he was also suspended mid-playoffs with that whole crazy “heavily intoxicated human-trafficked woman in his hotel room” situation? Ugly details of hotel room incident involving Valeri Nichushkin

Seems like that story just sorta disappeared without real details ever coming out?
league swept it under the rug pretty quickly and sent nichushkin back to russia for the offseason

Reactions: ponder

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
This sucks for the Avs. Clearly a guy that is struggling with addiction. Hopefully he can get things on track so this is a one time occurance.

He's currently on stage 3... after failing drug tests last year. Also getting found in a hotel room with a trafficked woman. This is no one time occurrence

Reactions: Anantika

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
I predict the Avs will terminate him then negotiate some sort of settlement similar to Mike Richards and Evander Kane. Likely played his last game with the avs regardless.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
He's currently on stage 3... after failing drug tests last year. Also getting found in a hotel room with a trafficked woman. This is no one time occurrence
The stage 3 suspension is a first time occurrence for him. Hopefully when all is said and done it sets him on the right path. Currently he is obviously too big of a wild card to put any trust into. That's often the case for those who struggle with addiction.

A one time occurence is being caught in say, Singapore with 1 kg of marijuana. They give you the noose and hang you at dawn for that in 2024.
Lol are you saying this is the kind of stance we should be taking?

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
Fine, then I can ask: Why is it required of workers to not use recreative drugs if it doesn't affect their work?
Cause the person cutting the checks says so. If you don't want to accept the terms and conditions of your employment because you disagree with them or find them arbitrarily restrictive, then feel free to not accept the employment. Simple as.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I predict the Avs will terminate him then negotiate some sort of settlement similar to Mike Richards and Evander Kane. Likely played his last game with the avs regardless.
Richards was a different situation. He got caught with a controlled substance at the Canadian border and the Kings terminated his contract. He contested it and the resulting arbitration was he'd get bought out at a significantly reduced rate and cap hit. Basically a million a year for 12 years or whatever it was.

He was never in the player assistance program.

Reactions: DaveG

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Fine, then I can ask: Why is it required of workers to not use recreative drugs if it doesn't affect their work?

It's all fine and dandy until one day, those holes in the preventative barriers line-up and it leads to an incident.

This is such a shitty attitude towards drugs/alcohol. "It won't happen to me" said the guy who drank three pints and then drove home.

I'm amazed that a teacher, such as yourself, isn't able to think critically on this.

Nuke signed a contract, that 100% would have had some kind of wellness policy included. He violated that, again.

End of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad