Valeri Nichushkin placed in NHLPA assistance program stage 3 - suspended without pay for min. 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Wow, damn that sucks. Really hope he gets the help he needs, still so young and never want to see someone's life get derailed.

Hoping for you Val!

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Assuming this isn't for PEDs, playing that well during addiction is flat out impressive.

Wish him the best.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
it would be a shame if the Avs bought him out and he landed in LA.....jokes aside, this is super rough and I hope he gets help. it would be an absolute shame if this was it for him. he's been so f***ing good

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Of course it does but not all classes are insulated with millions of dollars. The rest of us have to figure out our shit or we're on the street.
Depression, behavioral issues, etc…..they dont go away with money. They can’t be paid to just go away. He’s a human being and we all deserve a little empathy. I’ll give him a little more to make up for you.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Assuming this isn't for PEDs, playing that well during addiction is flat out impressive.

Wish him the best.
Again, no it's not. Drugs like cocaine don't cripple a players ability to perform. Often they increase it. I'm sure it's decreasing now, but 80% of all NHL players in history could be classified as drug addicts or alcoholics.

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
Holy crap. What a mess.

Wish the best for him in overcoming his addiction. But, man, he has really let the Avs down multiple times. They need to cut ties if they can. Feel bad for the organization and fans. Huge blow this playoffs.

Reactions: Canadienna

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
I don’t agree with drug use but as long as it’s not PEDs I don’t see why it matters. There’s no way he’s the only one in the league using drugs. Assuming he’s a coke head or something that only negatively affects himself. Either way hopefully he gets the help he needs

It matters because it's illegal. The moment it becomes legal is when it's a non issue.

NHL doesn't want to be seen as a bastion of illegal drug abusers. They have an image to uphold.

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Again, no it's not. Drugs like cocaine don't cripple a players ability to perform. Often they increase it. I'm sure it's decreasing now, but 80% of all NHL players in history could be classified as drug addicts or alcoholics.
If you don't think having to source narcotics constantly in different cities, to stave off withdrawals, while hiding it from teammates you are constantly around and doing everything else required to be an NHL player, you're delusional. Sure, there's people who are functional addicts, but not many are able to be at the top of their field.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

Wish him the best.
The league has different wording for players that get suspended/reprimanded for PED use. They don't shy away from an explanation of why the player was suspended, they say for using performance enhancing drugs.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
I don’t agree with drug use but as long as it’s not PEDs I don’t see why it matters. There’s no way he’s the only one in the league using drugs. Assuming he’s a coke head or something that only negatively affects himself. Either way hopefully he gets the help he needs
A. It is illegal so the NHL shouldn’t just ignore it.

2. If they were aware of his illegal drug use, ignored it and say he crashed his car into a group of pedestrians after a game, the NHL would be paying out a likely 8 or 9 figure settlement.

D. He is putting himself and his body at risk (fentanyl is cutting down people in their prime on a daily basis).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad