Valeri Kamensky: The Forgotten Russian

Ruston*

[Yt]jgW0Ymx8vgc[/MEDIA]

Dude was good. Not your stereotypical soft Euro. Punched out Ulf Samuelsson, which is always a plus. Excellent playoff and international performer. Member of the triple gold club. Too bad he doesn't get more run.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
One of my favourite 90s players. He probably could've produced quite a bit more if not for injuries, I think he had a bad knee.

His hockey IQ and agility were what stood out for me. I think he's retired in Conneticut.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
[Yt]jgW0Ymx8vgc[/MEDIA]

Dude was good. Not your stereotypical soft Euro. Punched out Ulf Samuelsson, which is always a plus. Excellent playoff and international performer. Member of the triple gold club. Too bad he doesn't get more run.

Beauty of a player. Love that russian-type of player who can both outsmart and outskill you. And god I miss the 90´s and their rivalries.

And even if I´m one of few Samuelsson fans around probably almost anywhere - Kamenskys whole body language och punch there is fantastic. Just one tap too many...

More on him in this very forum:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=857283

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
I rather liked his game, probably would've been a fan if he hadn't played for the hated Avalanche. Definitely a forgotten cog on their '96 team.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Great player. Still remember his long swooping strike.

Unfortunately he totally messed up his leg before playing in the NHL.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Unfortunately he totally messed up his leg before playing in the NHL.

Also was 25 when he came over. Last year with the CSKA he played on a line with Bure and both had 46 points. I think if a healthy Kamensky comes over to the NHL at 20 he would or could have been a Kovalev, or probably even better. I don't think he touches Fedorov, Bure, and Mogilny [talent wise] territory but he's up there with the Kovalev and Kovalchuk guys.

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
I first noticed Kamensky during the two game Rendezvous 87, he scored two goals in the second game.

But most obvious about him was that unlike many of the Soviet forwards, he wasn't 5'9", he was 6'1" yet still had all the hand and skating skills in the world.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Not totally sure that he was better than his Team USSR/CSKA linemates Bykov and Khomutov, but arguably he was the flashiest and certainly biggest/strongest of the three, and the only one who played in the NHL. In his book, Viktor Tikhonov 'whines' a bit about Kamensky's sometimes uneven play. Wasn't anything wrong with him in the 1987 Rendez-Vous nor the 1987 Canada Cup, that's for sure.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
An interesting debate point: Kamensky is Jewish, which made his ascension in soviet hockey that much more remarkable. Which begs the question; is he the greatest Jewish hockey player of all time?

His main competition is Mathieu Schneider, Sarah De Costa and Bobby Nystrom (Bobby converted to Judaism during his marriage).

Sounds like he has a good case!

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
What's your source for Kamensky being jewish? Never heard that one before.

And yes, he's better than Schneider.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
An interesting debate point: Kamensky is Jewish, which made his ascension in soviet hockey that much more remarkable. Which begs the question; is he the greatest Jewish hockey player of all time?

His main competition is Mathieu Schneider, Sarah De Costa and Bobby Nystrom (Bobby converted to Judaism during his marriage).

Sounds like he has a good case!

... plenty of good ones, different types of players, Mike Brown, Michael Cammalleri, Jeff Halpern, Mike Veisor, Larry Zeidel along with the aforementioned Schneider & Bob Nystrom - then from Russia or one of the old Soviet Block Countries youve got Evgeny Babich, Vitaly Davydov and Vladimir Myshkin amongst others.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Will always be remembered if only for that end to end rush in Game 2 of the 1987 Canada Cup final. Wow.

But what a force in the NHL as well. He was one of those guys that just seemed dangerous every time he touched the puck. He didn't score on every shift, but he made you nervous on every shift if you were the opposition. He had speed, hands, and that wicked shot. Wasn't a lot different than Kovalchuk in my opinion, and he was a key component in Colorado's great years.

Unfortunately he was born in 1966. We didn't see him in the NHL until 1991. He wasn't young like Bure, he was 25. Good enough that we still saw some prime years but not early enough that we saw a potential HHOF career. Great player though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->