Friedman: Vadim Shipachyov given permission to seek a trade

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
What exactly has happened that they didn't see as a possibility?

That we'd have 13 forwards outplay him? :dunno:

If they actually let the guy play they might have had a legit scoring threat to play for the team for years. You know, like the exact thing they told their fans.

"For years"?? I think most Vegas fans were assuming he'd be here for the two years and that's it. Now the timeline just got accelerated, that's all...

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I would say they didn't give Shipachyov a fair chance. Him being sent down to AHL to begin with was a farce. He should have been given a fair shot to learn the ways of the team. A total of 30 minutes of ice time is not it.

Reactions: haveandare

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Really?? So you are of the opinion that the KHL is at a higher level than the NHL?

No, but it's miles above the AHL and if Vegas feels like he's not good enough to play for them then they should just let it be and let him go back to the KHL. Playing for the Chicago Wolves never was an option.

He's not willing to do that because he has an over-inflated opinion of himself and his ability.

He's not willing to do that because he's 30 years old and has nothing left to prove at such level. It would be nothing but wasting the last good years of his career.

If someone grabs him then good...if not...then maybe the only one wrong about his value is him and people like you.

Going back to the KHL is fine, finding an address in the NHL is by no means necessary.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
That we'd have 13 forwards outplay him? :dunno:

Except that there weren't 13 forwards that outplayed him. Certainly not before opening night, when he didn't even get to play. Although I guess it's technically being outplayed when you're sitting at home.

But don't tell me he was sent down because he was outplayed when he was sent down before ANYONE played.

"For years"?? I think most Vegas fans were assuming he'd be here for the two years and that's it. Now the timeline just got accelerated, that's all...

Yes "for years". 2 would make it plural. Or were you reading it as "four"? I'll be sure to type them as "fer" and "4" from now on, jest fer you so you don't get confused.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Because he's waiver exempt and making a move for the future (even if it's a 7th rounder three years from now for some dman) is more important than him getting into a game. He's not getting paid minor money to play in the minor leagues, he's still getting 4.5 in a Chicago Wolves uniform.

He's getting paid more money for a longer amount of time than an other NHL was willing to pay because he can move down to the AHL and we needed someone that could be a great player and move down from time to time. He just doesn't want to do it.

Like I said a few posts ago, if he wanted to play every single game in the NHL this season, he should have signed one of the one year offers he got from any other team that offered one.
Boy do they have you guys drinking the koolaid.

You honestly think that when Ship and Mcphee signed that contract both parties knew he intended to swing the player back and forth to the minors regardless of play? Because that's what you're saying. That even if Ship excelled, he should have known he'd be playing games in the AHL - because apparently one of the primary reasons they signed him was due to his waiver status. No chance a player of his caliber signs off on that.

VGK marketed him as the 1C, all interviews with management pointed to him being the 1C. They got greedy with their defense situation, mismanaged multiple players and now Ship is pissed, as he should be.

Management f***ed up, simple as that.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I agree, and like I've said earlier, this may not have been a problem had it happened next year or if there were another Russian or two in the system.

To me, this seems to be more him not wanting to be away from his wife and kids for any extended period of time. Would he still be waiver exempt next year?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't think they messed up as much as people think. They gambled, and are winning without their top 2 goaltenders right now, two of their defensemen were successfully waived and assigned to the AHL, Tuch is playing well and Theodore is now up with the big club. Ship seems to be the only casualty of the gamble, but they should be able to get something for him.

I don't know if the situation was badly mismanaged or not, but this is a results-oriented business and McPhee has the results right now.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Because he's waiver exempt and making a move for the future (even if it's a 7th rounder three years from now for some dman) is more important than him getting into a game. He's not getting paid minor money to play in the minor leagues, he's still getting 4.5 in a Chicago Wolves uniform.

He's getting paid more money for a longer amount of time than an other NHL was willing to pay because he can move down to the AHL and we needed someone that could be a great player and move down from time to time. He just doesn't want to do it.

Like I said a few posts ago, if he wanted to play every single game in the NHL this season, he should have signed one of the one year offers he got from any other team that offered one.
You're insane if you believe that they paid this guy 4.5 million to be a good sport and go to the AHL

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I don't think they messed up as much as people think. They gambled, and are winning without their top 2 goaltenders right now, two of their defensemen were successfully waived and assigned to the AHL, Tuch is playing well and Theodore is now up with the big club. Ship seems to be the only casualty of the gamble, but they should be able to get something for him.

I don't know if the situation was badly mismanaged or not, but this is a results-oriented business and McPhee has the results right now.
What if they would perform even better if Shipachyov was playing right from the start? Or does that not matter simply because right now they're doing "good enough"?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Boy do they have you guys drinking the koolaid.

You honestly think that when Ship and Mcphee signed that contract both parties knew he intended to swing the player back and forth to the minors regardless of play? Because that's what you're saying. That even if Ship excelled, he should have known he'd be playing games in the AHL - because apparently one of the primary reasons they signed him was due to his waiver status. No chance a player of his caliber signs off on that.

VGK marketed him as the 1C, all interviews with management pointed to him being the 1C. They got greedy with their defense situation, mismanaged multiple players and now Ship is pissed, as he should be.

Management ****ed up, simple as that.
I don't think Ship knew what was going on, and I don't imagine his agent would have any reason to tell him what was going on if it meant a lower salary and one less year of contract.

To ignore the fact that he's one of three NHL ready players on the team with waiver exemption and to pretend that's not at least part of the reason he was signed here is just silly.

From the drop of the hat, Vegas was going to have seven too many players likely ready for the NHL roster. What point is there in signing another if they're not waiver exempt?

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut

Ah I didn't realize he was sent back down. I figured this was over when they called him up.

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
This isn’t the greatest situation but people have to realize that Vegas is a new team and finding an identity for the team is more important than anything right now. After the first few games they seem to have found something that works right now. It probably won’t last but why should they upset the identity they established for one player?

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I've never really understood why he is waiver-exempt. Is it because this is his first time in the NHL? Is there even such thing as a 1-way, 4.5m contract that is waiver-exempt? Can someone help me out on this?

A one/two way contract has nothing to do with whether you're waiver exempt. Its based on draft age and pro GP. However, a player has to be under an NHL contract before it starts getting calculated. This is Ship's first NHL contract.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Honestly, I think they're mistreating him, but he shouldn't have signed with a franchise with zero history to indicate how they'd treat a player in his situation if he cared about being up and down.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
This isn’t the greatest situation but people have to realize that Vegas is a new team and finding an identity for the team is more important than anything right now. After the first few games they seem to have found something that works right now. It probably won’t last but why should they upset the identity they established for one player?
Especially when the one player is apparently not giving full effort on a team that's now got an identity of playing high effort games all the time.

Sure, it won't last forever, but he's the odd one out and he's waiver exempt.

Shea Theodore has got a better track record as an NHL player than Vadim Shipachyov, and he went down to the AHL and lit it up. Now he's back in the NHL. Shea didn't even have the luxury of making big money in the AHL while he did it either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sir Goose

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Honestly, I think they're mistreating him, but he shouldn't have signed with a franchise with zero history to indicate how they'd treat a player in his situation if he cared about being up and down.

Or at least waited until after the expansion draft to sign.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Or just don't suck and play some defense, he's had some bad turnovers no need for that on a winning team right now.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Hilarious how defensive fans of other teams get over Shipachyov.
He's the "name" player they thought of when they were thinking of Vegas, so seeing him be quasi-dismissed is jarring. "But... but... he's the franchise player! They're supposed to be sucking without him!"

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Hilarious how defensive fans of other teams get over Shipachyov.

I mean, the situation is stupid as hell. I'm rooting for the VGK and I think this whole thing is beyond idiotic. Don't sign the guy if you're going to do that to him. Don't mislead your fans. Seems pretty cut and dry. I think the people defending McPhee are hilarious, personally.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Or just don't suck and play some defense, he's had some bad turnovers no need for that on a winning team right now.

He was +3 despite playing only that many games. Only one forward is above that, and he has played all nine.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I mean, the situation is stupid as hell. I'm rooting for the VGK and I think this whole thing is beyond idiotic. Don't sign the guy if you're going to do that to him. Don't mislead your fans. Seems pretty cut and dry. I think the people defending McPhee are hilarious, personally.
What don't people understand about he's not ready to make the team? They are playing decent hockey and have no interest in shuffling lines and giving him a ton of ice time? "But he's already one of their best offensive players!" Until he's actually proven that, he isn't. It doesn't matter what he did in the KHL, if you can't bring it then you can't bring it. Do you really think their fans care? They're winning a ton of games. Shipachyov is an after-thought for them at this point. They didn't "do" anything to them besides give him 9 million dollars to be in their organization for 2 years. He's not entitled to anything more than that. I liked him, and I'd love to see him making an impact in the NHL right now, but if it's not there, it's not there.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
He played 3 games. Why sign a guy from another league for that kind of money if you don't intend to have patience with him beyond 3 games?

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
He played 3 games. Why sign a guy from another league for that kind of money if you don't intend to have patience with him beyond 3 games?
Nobody from Las Vegas or the VGK side has said anything about not having patience with him. In fact, I think they've shown a lot of patience not suspending him the first time he went down for "roster related" reasons and decided he would just appear to sign his presence with the Wolves and come back to Las Vegas.

The person asking for the move and the shopping of trades is on the Shipachyov side. I'm sure Vegas would love nothing more than to have him come up to the NHL and play so he'll have more trade value if he truly wants to leave the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->