Vaccine and vaccination thread part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Thanks. Does that mean it's more effective? I don't understand what that means in non-scientific terms.
That would be the idea. To oversimplify, in order for the antibodies to work, they need to know the right shape of the spike protein on the virus. If the way the J&J vaccine produces the spike protein is a little off from how it actually looks when it's on the virus, the antibodies won't match as well.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
That would be the idea. To oversimplify, in order for the antibodies to work, they need to know the right shape of the spike protein on the virus. If the way the J&J vaccine produces the spike protein is a little off from how it actually looks when it's on the virus, the antibodies won't match as well.

Thanks, I got Moderna so that makes me feel a lot better!

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Do you understand what "not 100% effective" means? No vaccine is 100% effective. They do prevent a lot of infections, hospitalizations and deaths. That has been proven again and again with real world data.

The only scam is people believing pharmas are big bad worse than any other company.

Im curious to what @Treb thinks about the new mask guidance brought on by the CDC. Obviously, the science backs their claim, but there are a lot of layers involved here.

It's fine. Might be a bit early since there is still a bunch of unvaccinated, but maybe it gives them the push.

Guessing it's just the fact that they only have to deal with players potentially being out with side effects once vs. twice.

I think @Treb or someone else might have linked something about the mRNA vaccines doing a better job of presenting the spike protein in the proper configuration which may account for the differences as well as the timing of the trial.

That was AZ and Sputnik V. J&J difference might come from the fact it's only 1 dose and not 2.

Reactions: Hoek

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Do you understand what "not 100% effective" means? No vaccine is 100% effective. They do prevent a lot of infections, hospitalizations and deaths. That has been proven again and again with real world data.

The only scam is people believing pharmas are big bad worse than any other company.

It's fine. Might be a bit early since there is still a bunch of unvaccinated, but maybe it gives them the push.

That was AZ and Sputnik V. J&J difference might come from the fact it's only 1 dose and not 2.

So why not give two doses?

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
I know there has been some previous conversations about what group of people might not be able to get the vaccine so figured I would throw in this story. Ran into the mom of one of the kids who goes to my kid's daycare, who was diagnosed with cancer within the past year. She had just gotten home from the hospital after a bone marrow transplant. Not only is she not able to get the Covid vaccine, because of everything she has gone through it basically wiped out every single one of her previous vaccines and she needs to re-get them all once she is able.

So this is the type of person who herd immunity is meant to help and anyone still not getting it solely because they don't think they need to because of their age or condition should really think about the type of people they are putting at risk.

On an interesting side note, she said that this past year has actually been safer for people like her because of all the extra health precautions people are taking. Her doctor told her that there have been less people needing to come in for infections because of what most people think of as minor bugs and illnesses, but are potentially deadly to people with compromised immune systems like herself.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
By refusing a vaccine, these anti-vaxxers are literally saying that their rights extend beyond where others' rights end and that they don't care if other citizens die because of their "choice." It's literally anti-American, from a philosophical standpoint and from an actively harming fellow American citizens standpoint.
Stupidity, ignorance and entitlement are unfortunately much too common among us. Stupidity and ignorance breed anti-vaxxers and, more generally, anti-science attitudes. Add to the mix the feeling of entitlement and lack of social responsibility and you get people who feel it is more important to travel abroad to hot spots for weddings and funerals than the lives of the people that are endangered when they return home. It is beyond pathetic how those same anti-vaxxers are fine to be cared for by the health care system of the West, which is a product of science yet refuse to believe the same science when it comes to vaccines. Somehow they are now the experts and they draw their expertise from nutcases and delusional social media accounts.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Seemingly good news for Canadians from the U.K.. Canada, like the U.K., decided to vaccinate as many people with one doze as possible before giving the 2nd shot and as a result of shortages, a period of 12 weeks in the U.K. and 16 weeks in Canada between shots was introduced. Studies in the U.K. show that people who got 2nd shots 12 week later had 3.5 times higher antibody counts than those who got their 2nd shot 3 weeks later. So it seems that delaying the 2nd shot produces stronger immunity response. Remember that the Pfizer recommended period of 3 weeks between shots, and Moderna's 4 weeks, was based only on the trials which had those intervals. The trials simply did not have the luxury of time to experiment with different intervals.

Reactions: SensibleGuy

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Got Moderna yesterday and spent the entire night with extreme shivers (was 25 degrees all day and I had to wear snow pants, winter jacket, and multiple socks/blankets), full body aches, super sore arm, pounding headache, and nausea. Took some Tylenol this morning and now I am just tired with a bit of a sore arm.

That sucked.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Got Moderna yesterday and spent the entire night with extreme shivers (was 25 degrees all day and I had to wear snow pants, winter jacket, and multiple socks/blankets), full body aches, super sore arm, pounding headache, and nausea. Took some Tylenol this morning and now I am just tired with a bit of a sore arm.

That sucked.

Sounds very similar to my AZ experience. Might've been the worst night of my life! But thankfully symptoms passed pretty quickly.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I was sick back over Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada...very sick. Started feeling it Thursday evening, went for the test Friday morning and was sick as a dog by Friday evening. Severe body aches, chills, headache, crazy night sweats Fri and Saturday night...like woke up in a sopping wet t shirt. Super fatigued and afraid to take a shower because I felt like I might pass out. By sunday I was starting to feel a bit better...and that evening the result came back negative for Covid. Monday I felt better still and Tuesday was back at work. Ever since, I've been thinking my test might have been a false negative. Just seemed like such a weird thing to be that sick when there wasn't any flu going around and have it not be Covid.

Anyway, I got a shot of AZ three weeks ago, and the day after I felt pretty rough - and it was very similar to how I felt when that Thanksgiving bug was coming on. Achy, headache, fatigue.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I was sick back over Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada...very sick. Started feeling it Thursday evening, went for the test Friday morning and was sick as a dog by Friday evening. Severe body aches, chills, headache, crazy night sweats Fri and Saturday night...like woke up in a sopping wet t shirt. Super fatigued and afraid to take a shower because I felt like I might pass out. By sunday I was starting to feel a bit better...and that evening the result came back negative for Covid. Monday I felt better still and Tuesday was back at work. Ever since, I've been thinking my test might have been a false negative. Just seemed like such a weird thing to be that sick when there wasn't any flu going around and have it not be Covid.

Anyway, I got a shot of AZ three weeks ago, and the day after I felt pretty rough - and it was very similar to how I felt when that Thanksgiving bug was coming on. Achy, headache, fatigue.

Hm. I've also heard vaccine side effects can be stronger for those who have had COVID. :dunno:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

That sucked.

So I was fine except for late at night (around 2:30am) when I was about to go to sleep I suddenly developed intense nausea and chills. I had to turn the heat on and I kept waking up in the middle of the night feeling sick. Next day had a pounding headache in the morning, but I felt felt after that.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Seemingly good news for Canadians from the U.K.. Canada, like the U.K., decided to vaccinate as many people with one doze as possible before giving the 2nd shot and as a result of shortages, a period of 12 weeks in the U.K. and 16 weeks in Canada between shots was introduced. Studies in the U.K. show that people who got 2nd shots 12 week later had 3.5 times higher antibody counts than those who got their 2nd shot 3 weeks later. So it seems that delaying the 2nd shot produces stronger immunity response. Remember that the Pfizer recommended period of 3 weeks between shots, and Moderna's 4 weeks, was based only on the trials which had those intervals. The trials simply did not have the luxury of time to experiment with different intervals.

So if the efficacy is already 95%, how much better could waiting 12 weeks be?

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

That sucked.
its weird how some people have such bad side effects.
i had both doses of pfizer and i think i might have had a bit of a sore arm. that was it on both doses.
my allergies us what is bothering me now.
ive also heard moderna and j&j are giving the worst of the side effects.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Here’s the science that convinced the CDC to lift mask mandates

"I think part of the problem before this was that there was something of a mixed message: The vaccines are very effective, but you still have to wear a mask," Dowdy said. "This is now a strong statement that we know these vaccines work, and for those who are fully vaccinated, it's appropriate to take some steps toward living life a bit more normally."

THIS. The CDC really hurt their credibility by being as conservative as possible. It also felt like they would walk back any good news because it wouldn't be conservative enough. That hurt their credibility even more.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Welp. An unvaccinated teacher at my son's daycare just contracted COVID, so they have to shutdown the infant rooms for at leats this week. None of the vaccinated teachers have tested positive yet.

These idiots are negatively impacting the lives of everyone around them. Now we have to scramble to find a baby sitter and use vacation/PTO to cover the other days off. Im lucky enough to have great benefits at my job, but other parents may not be that lucky.

I wonder if being an idiot was worth it for this lady? She not only has to deal with COVID, but she's also the dumb-dumb who had a whole section of the daycare completely shutdown for a week.

Sorry for the vent, but Im annoyed as hell right now. Ignorance isn't bliss anymore. It impacts the unvaccinated directly and everyone around them including our work lives.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It can help with the longevity, but also against variants as the reduction start from higher.
Isn’t efficacy about prevention of serious illness? 95% is about not getting so ill hospitalization is needed? So the study from England about delaying the second dose increasing antibodies kind of indicates less symptoms if contract Covid?

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yeah, it's pretty frustrating. I have several relatives and people close to me who are not planning on getting the shot. Some are "Trump people" (Canadians! lol). My ex wife isn't planning on getting it. Says she doesn't like being a "guinea pig". This is a woman who has several tattoos and got a boob job about 8 years ago. I don't have an issue with those things, but I'd imagine the risks associated with them are much higher than those associated with the vaccines. My S/O isn't planning to get it. She's a "hippy" type of person - which I love about her actually - and she hates any meds. Doesn't even like taking pain-killers. So my hope is that things are made unpleasant enough for these folks that they give in and just get the shot eventually. In the mean time I'm pretty sure there's enough of us with some sense that we'll get the job done for them...

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty frustrating. I have several relatives and people close to me who are not planning on getting the shot. Some are "Trump people" (Canadians! lol). My ex wife isn't planning on getting it. Says she doesn't like being a "guinea pig". This is a woman who has several tattoos and got a boob job about 8 years ago. I don't have an issue with those things, but I'd imagine the risks associated with them are much higher than those associated with the vaccines. My S/O isn't planning to get it. She's a "hippy" type of person - which I love about her actually - and she hates any meds. Doesn't even like taking pain-killers. So my hope is that things are made unpleasant enough for these folks that they give in and just get the shot eventually. In the mean time I'm pretty sure there's enough of us with some sense that we'll get the job done for them...
Covid, as long as it has hosts, will still be around. Those not vaccinated can still get serious illness if they contract the virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->