Raptors Discussion: v95|Masai's back! The panic and dread can now end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
some really good guards too available in the lottery next year too. on paper right now we are not a good team, and i prefer to not try to sneak in the back door of the playoffs to get destroyed in the 1st round by a contender and lower our lottery pick at the same time. with our trouble bringing in FAs etc we have to rebuild via the draft, since i really doubt theres another kawhi hail mary to be made. im fine sucking for 1 or 2 more years to make us a contender again.

Yeah makes a ton more sense to A) Stockpile some assets like Achiuwa that we can later use to pry a disgruntled superstar away from there team and B) have another down year so that we can get a top 10 pick to add to our young core.

We have some nice pieces yeah however to compete with the big dogs we need at least one other franchise player. And as you said other than a trade our only real way to acquire one outside of a trade is through the draft.

I'd rather finish bottom 5 than squeak into the playoffs as the 8th seed and get swept. Masai has always known it's either championship or bust. Once again another sound management decision.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Dream offseason continues.
Free agency be like:
F99C724D-86B8-4624-A6D9-436E24C85BF8.gif

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Guards: FVV Flynn Trent Jr.

Forwards: Anunoby Barnes Siakam(if he stays) Boucher

Centers: Trash

If we want to be a contender, we need to upgrade our centers. Is this correct?

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Lol what a mess

Depth signing, replacement for Matt Thomas as a wingman and shooter. Clearly management isn't planning to over pay to address the holes on the roster via free agency which is a good decision... Teams are over spending on players that should likely be depth signings and back ups. Lots of time left before the season starts.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica

even with a good center we arent a contender imo, we just lost our best player and our leader and his minutes are being taken by malachai flynn lol

Reactions: A1LeafNation

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
So did the trade details eventually come through or no

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont

IMO, we need more then a center.

We have a pretty steady 5 man unit..but our bench, as it stands, is IMO pretty bad.

In the past, we'd be able to throw our FVV or GTJ...now we are expecting them to start....so I see a lot of gaps / struggles with Flynn and Barnes.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
IMO, we need more then a center.
We have a pretty steady 5 man unit..but our bench, as it stands, is IMO pretty bad.
In the past, we'd be able to throw our FVV or GTJ...now we are expecting them to start....so I see a lot of gaps / struggles with Flynn and Barnes.

team isnt too far , yes the center is a huge problem. we dont have a starter yet alone a backup center.

for the bench we got dragic (assuming that was part of the deal) , flynn , barnes , boucher, precious .. which isnt bad , just very very very young and unexperienced (except dragic who is a fantastic guard, especially off the bench)

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
Dragic staying would be a huge L. Masai didnt need to S&T with Miami and now would wasting 19M in cap space on a guy who doesnt want to be there and doesnt fit the team. Hope the hold up is Miami sends their 1st if Dragic cant be flipped.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
PG: FVV; Flynn
SG: Trent Jr; Johnson
SF: OG; Barnes
PF: Siakim; Boucher
C: Birch; Achiuwa

that’s not a bad team is it ? 7-10 seed for sure ?

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007

Yeah I'd say we would be fighting Boston and NYK and ATL for playoff spots.

MIA PHI BKN MIL are locks.

Really hope we move Dragic or atleast get a 1st from Miami for taking him. If not that offseason is a big L

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica

why would we want 7-10th seed? better to fail hard, play our youngsters big minutes and allow them to make mistakes and get another very high pick next year, then re-evaluate.
also birch has interest from chicago, so theres no guarantee hes back.

masai "play in for what? we want to win championships here" i doubt they are going to be satisfied with or lean towards this type of success.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto

You're missing Goran Dragic who will be a surefire starter if retained.

No deal is imminent with him and the Raptors may decide to keep him until the trade deadline before flipping him. He's also still a very solid player.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I just dont get the reason why no center has been added yet. Just doesnt make sense. Now Birch is supposedly visiting the Bulls.

Something has got to give. They cant be serious going into a new season with Baynes and Gillipsie can they?

Both Lopez and Drummond both signed 1 yr deals just now.

They must be up to something. It doesnt make sense.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
I just dont get the reason why no center has been added yet. Just doesnt make sense. Now Birch is supposedly visiting the Bulls.

Something has got to give. They cant be serious going into a new season with Baynes and Gillipsie can they?

Both Lopez and Drummond both signed 1 yr deals just now.

They must be up to something. It doesnt make sense.
it makes sense if we want to be really bad :naughty:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
it makes sense if we want to be really bad :naughty:

That is the only thing they can be going for. Another lottery pick!!!

There are some key free agents next summer at that spot that they can be targeting:

Ayton
Zeller
Wiseman
Valencounas
Zubac

Expiring contracts off the books is Dragic, Gillipsie, Boucher, etc..

Maybe they tank and go for it next season. Who know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->