Raptors Discussion: v94 | Raptors land 4th pick in NBA draft lottery. Draft set for July 29

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Dumb move. We're not contending, and we keep our best asset thats at the twighlight of his career on an expiring contract that likely wont resign anyways. Can someone shed some light on the logic here?
So would you trade him for anything we can get then? Thats what a bad management does.
We can still resign him

Reactions: donghabs98

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It feels ridiculous to not be thrilled about Lowry staying a Raptor, but I really think it would have been a better move for him and the organization to have gotten assets for him now

Reactions: Nylanderthal

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
If you like the potential players MIA and PHI *were* willing to offer, that's one thing, but being angry they didn't take the best offer they got today shows a lack of understanding of how the NBA works. There are still options and value available with Lowry still in the fold. There's simply less wiggle room to sell a player like Lowry in the NBA than there is baseball or hockey where there's more prospect/pick capital to come together on a deal on.

Reactions: stickty111

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Some see him as a future superstar. He’s an incredibly talented scorer that can create his own shot or run point and play make for others. At only 21, his skill set is far advanced for his age. He’s known as a gym rat so his ceiling is seemingly pretty high at this point.

If I was Pat Riley I’m not trading him for a 35 year old.

That's fair. And thank you for not just jumping on the "OMG he's being racist!" bit. I knew that mentioning the white kid thing was probably going to get taken the wrong way, but hoped that people might understand the point I was trying to make rather than presume it was something it wasn't.

I have to ask though, is he a playmaker? Just as a point of comparison, VanVleet isn't usually regarded as a particularly strong assists guy (it's certainly part of his game, but he is more of a scorer) and his rate assists totals are like double what Herro's are. and Herro's #s would put him 4th on Maimi roughly in line with Igoudala, who hasn't been considered a functional playmaker since his Philly days

HC7

May 2, 2018
It feels ridiculous to not be thrilled about Lowry staying a Raptor, but I really think it would have been a better move for him and the organization to have gotten assets for him now

The assets being offered were garbage. Worse than the Powell return. Good on Masai for not trading him for nothing. Now teams will know not to f*** around if they actually want a player from the Raptors.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
It's pretty clear nothing good was on the table. Masai isn't stupid, he wasn't going to bend for a Duncan Robinson who makes no sense to this team. If the offer isn't going to give us anything of value then why trade away your franchise icon? Duncan Robinson and a late 1st or Schroder and some crap wasn't helping this team anyway.

Miami got Oladipo for literally nothing, pretty obvious they weren't offering a huge package.

Reactions: stickty111

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Pros and cons about no Lowry trade and circumstances surrounding it

Cons:
-didn’t get assets back for Lowry

Pros:
-he stay (for now)
-freed up roster spots for FA
-freed up cap space for FA
-players who sign to teams in FA typically value loyalty; after DD was traded people questioned Masai’s loyalty so hopefully this helped clear that up
-TD isn’t a raptor anymore
-did I mention he stay (for now)?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
If you like the potential players MIA and PHI *were* willing to offer, that's one thing, but being angry they didn't take the best offer they got today shows a lack of understanding of how the NBA works. There are still options and value available with Lowry still in the fold. There's simply less wiggle room to sell a player like Lowry in the NBA than there is baseball or hockey where there's more prospect/pick capital to come together on a deal on.
People might be using their hockey logic in here which is the problem. Completely different leagues

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
What’s up? Some are out of managements control obviously and worth the risk (Danny & kawhi) but letting gasol & Serge walk and replacing them with baynes is a large reason why were in a spot where we should be selling.
Do you really see Kyle re-upping here? I don’t

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Lowry has way more value in the off-season as a sign and trade anyways. He makes too much money right now that it would just f*** the raptors long term taking on ugly contracts to make it work

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The assets being offered were garbage. Worse than the Powell return. Good on Masai for not trading him for nothing. Now teams will know not to f*** around if they actually want a player from the Raptors.
true, it's definitely not completely bad. Trading the best player in the organization's history for peanuts would have been bad in its own way. I guess I'm just more annoyed at other teams for not offering more

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
What’s up? Some are out of managements control obviously and worth the risk (Danny & kawhi) but letting gasol & Serge walk and replacing them with baynes is a large reason why were in a spot where we should be selling.

Gasol has been awful and Ibaka is meh. People need to stop stressing out over these replaceable players

the raps won the title because of .... Kawhi Leonard. The supporting pieces helped but ya. Sorry folks.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I can't believe we live in a world where people aren't giving Masai the benefit of the doubt on this. What else does he have to do before it becomes clear that he tends to know what he's doing and we should trust that if he made a choice there was probably a good reason for it?

Would I have liked to see the Raptors get something for Lowry and give him a chance to contend? Sure. But does that mean you just give in to whatever offers are on the table? No. That's how you kneecap your bargaining position moving forward. The minute teams realize you'll panic and take whatever offer you've given once backed into a corner they no longer have any motivation to actually negotiate in good faith with you. Sometimes it means taking "the loss" of not making a deal. But that's fine because that's how it plays out on occasion.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Philly seemed to like the lower cost on George Hill, who's already under contract for next year and didn't cost them anything of real consequence

I think Morey forgot to account for championship pedigree in his analytics. I'd have gone for Lowry.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Man the same flawed logic. As if any team in any position should trade expirings at the deadline. Thats not how it works.
Raps wanted to bring back Serge.
Considering Lowry has said he wants to stay, I say yes he might stay.

selltrade

Sep 20, 2005
Toronto
www.selltradememorabilia.com
He will finish the year as a rap then leave via free agency. The raps are now in a good spot to trade this summer. They will have a ton of cap space, a few extra picks to play with and go forward a young Gary Trent to add to fvv og and ps.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah, Lowry isn’t a guy you dump for best offer available. You need to name your price. If Lowry leaves as a FA, the teams he’d likely sign with will require a sign/trade anyway. Plus, we can always extend him.

No issues with trading Davis and Thomas for picks to free up some playing time for Flynn.

Gary Trent is solid moving forward with.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
I feel like people are also forgetting about the fact that sign and trades exist.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Surprised they didn't trade him for at least something. Maybe they are also weighing the potential of making wild card tournament thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad