Raptors Discussion: v94 | Raptors land 4th pick in NBA draft lottery. Draft set for July 29

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Yea, but people are still overlooking them. Most experts are going with LAC or LAL as the teams to beat in the West.
The difference is people were right to overlook the 17-18 Raps, while the Jazz this year should not be getting overlooked and are a legit threat in the West.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Can’t help but wonder where this team would be if they had two playable centres all year. Let Boucher play exclusively at the 4 where he won’t be physically dominated and allow him to use his quickness as a help defender rather than getting bullied by bigs with 40-50 lbs on him. He’s shown some flashes of good perimeter play in the screen and roll, and particularly attacking close outs. He’ll get a lot more favourable matchups going forward.

Birch has a better offensive game than I realized and while Freddy G is still raw, he has some good physical tools and good instincts on the ball that could become a very good asset. Doesn’t have the bunnies or the freakish long arms, but reminds me somewhat of rookie Robert Williams with the Celtics whose becoming a pretty useful player for them.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Report: Raptors President Masai Ujiri Has Positioned Himself for Jobs Outside the NBA

When Giannis Antetokounmpo re-signed with the Milwaukee Bucks this summer the once star-studded 2021 free agency class became far less exciting. Aside from Kawhi Leonard who is expected to remain in Los Angeles, there aren't very many attractive names on the open market, at least not ones who play basketball.

The biggest free agent of all this summer could very well be Toronto Raptors president Masai Ujiri. The 50-year-old former executive of the year and NBA champion is wrapping up the final year of his contract with the Raptors and has repeatedly said he'll deal with his contract following the season.

While it would reportedly take an "overwhelming offer" to pry Ujiri loose, that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be an NBA job, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

"What's going to be interesting to watch with Ujiri's future is he's positioned himself not just as an NBA executive, but I think as a global sports executive," Wojnarowski said. "I think the options that may be available to him are going to be beyond the NBA, maybe even beyond North America."

"That's going to be an interesting situation to watch."

Ujiri previously worked in the NBA front office where he served as the director of the league's Basketball Without Borders Africa program. He continues to be heavily involved in growing the game in Africa with his Giants of Africa program that he founded in 2003 in order to help change the lives of African children through the power of sport.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
We Toronto fans might not see another one like Lowry again.

Lowry playing with some fire in the belly. Lakers did not want to pay up for him... So much uncertainty and questions to be answered on the court, in the draft, free agency and in the management. Going to be a very interesting off season.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
We Toronto fans might not see another one like Lowry again.

Kyle Lowry is the greatest Raptor ever. It's not a debate. It's not a 'maybe'. There's no tier he's on except the one unto himself. Whatever he decides to do in the off-season, he owns the undisputed #1 spot. His should be the first jersey retired and if anyone's gonna get a statue, it should be him.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I really hope Lowry retires a Raptor. There really isnt any need for him to go to Championship contender as he already has one. He would be ideal to bring in the new blood and continue a winning tradition.

He along with FVV, OG, Siakam, Birch, Flynn, Trent, Gillipsie and Boucher provides them a solid foundation to build on with a high draft pick this draft and a free agent or two with all the available cap space freed up.

The Raptors can become a contender in the East again rather soon. Remember they are the only team in all of the NBA not playing in front of their fans at their home. They went through an ordeal with COVID which they received no help from the league at all. Top both of those with the injuries they have had. This team easily should have been in the playoffs this season.

Bring him back and continue to augment the roster with players to make the team better on top of what they already have.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Kyle Lowry is the greatest Raptor ever. It's not a debate. It's not a 'maybe'. There's no tier he's on except the one unto himself. Whatever he decides to do in the off-season, he owns the undisputed #1 spot. His should be the first jersey retired and if anyone's gonna get a statue, it should be him.

I think he should be the only retired number.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Report: Raptors President Masai Ujiri Has Positioned Himself for Jobs Outside the NBA

When Giannis Antetokounmpo re-signed with the Milwaukee Bucks this summer the once star-studded 2021 free agency class became far less exciting. Aside from Kawhi Leonard who is expected to remain in Los Angeles, there aren't very many attractive names on the open market, at least not ones who play basketball.

The biggest free agent of all this summer could very well be Toronto Raptors president Masai Ujiri. The 50-year-old former executive of the year and NBA champion is wrapping up the final year of his contract with the Raptors and has repeatedly said he'll deal with his contract following the season.

While it would reportedly take an "overwhelming offer" to pry Ujiri loose, that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be an NBA job, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

"What's going to be interesting to watch with Ujiri's future is he's positioned himself not just as an NBA executive, but I think as a global sports executive," Wojnarowski said. "I think the options that may be available to him are going to be beyond the NBA, maybe even beyond North America."

"That's going to be an interesting situation to watch."

Ujiri previously worked in the NBA front office where he served as the director of the league's Basketball Without Borders Africa program. He continues to be heavily involved in growing the game in Africa with his Giants of Africa program that he founded in 2003 in order to help change the lives of African children through the power of sport.

At this point I think everyone expect Masai to leave

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Here's my wild prediction of the off-season, guys!

I think the Toronto Raptors may win the lottery. The NBA has always had the reputation of being a league that compensates teams. Recently, NO magically wins the lottery after a star departs. Toronto has had to experience tons of difficulty this season with not having a home, to the COVID outbreak, to Kawhi leaving before that.

I think they'll win the lottery lol.

If they don't and end selecting anywhere between 6-8 - I'm zeroed in on Davion Mitchell. He's just a perfect Raptor who will win multiple DPOY awards -- reminds me of a cross between Marcus Smart and Donovan Mitchell. His facilitation skills aren't fully refined yet but he has time to improve those. That D though.

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
What does everyone think about the draft this year? Sounds like it's loaded. Does that extend down to the 6-8 range where we're likely to pick?

Just reading some write-ups I like the sound of Keon Johnson, Scottie Barnes, or Jonathan Kaminga. Mitchell sounds good too but is only 6'2" and we already have Fred, Malachi, and maybe Kyle coming back. I think I would prefer a wing.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Here's my wild prediction of the off-season, guys!

I think the Toronto Raptors may win the lottery. The NBA has always had the reputation of being a league that compensates teams. Recently, NO magically wins the lottery after a star departs. Toronto has had to experience tons of difficulty this season with not having a home, to the COVID outbreak, to Kawhi leaving before that.

I think they'll win the lottery lol.

If they don't and end selecting anywhere between 6-8 - I'm zeroed in on Davion Mitchell. He's just a perfect Raptor who will win multiple DPOY awards -- reminds me of a cross between Marcus Smart and Donovan Mitchell. His facilitation skills aren't fully refined yet but he has time to improve those. That D though.
Davion would be a great pick in that range, as well as Moses Moody, Scottie Barnes, Tre Mann and Franz Wagner. All 5 of these guys have the upside to develop into three-level scorers and go-to scoring options on a contending team other than the obvious top 5 guys (although Mobley developing into a three-level scorer is questionable).

Especially Franz and Tre. IMO those 2 are getting heavily slept on in a lot of mocks. I also agree that Adam Silver owes us at least Jalen Green for allowing Clippers to tamper with Kawhi and us being forced to play 72 road games this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->