Raptors Discussion: v93 | Panic level rising significantly

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Maxey, Thybulle, and 1st round picks. They are positioned way better asset-wise than the Heat or Clips unless the Heat are willing to offer Herro, which I doubt.

Raps should ask for Maxey, Milton and Picks from Philly. They definitely would need to bring a contract back for it to work as well. Someone like Scott, or Howard would work.

From Miami, it would need to be Herro, Olynyk and Picks.

Any team in the East wanting to acquire Lowry will pay a premium. Young point guard and picks is a must.

As for the Clippers, they dont have anything worth while acquiring. They traded all their draft pick capital for George. And really do not have anyone young to help the Raps out. To be honest I am perfectly fine with that. Dont want to deal him there anyhow for obvious reasons.

horner

May 22, 2007
Do the Sixers have pieces that would be of interest for the Raps moving forward?
I think this is more about Lowry.
He has done enough for the organization.
Lowry has the right to pick his team.

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018
Game against the Bulls today postponed...not surprised at all, hopefully everybody is ok.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
So we are pretty much playing with a depleted lineup tonight. Could be a very scary game without players like Siakam, FVV, OG. That is 3 starters out of lineup. I know Lowry, Powell and Boucher arent chopped liver but not sure we are keeping up with Pistons tonight even with how bad they are. Look for a blowout tonight. 3 of the better defensive players are out.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
So we are pretty much playing with a depleted lineup tonight. Could be a very scary game without players like Siakam, FVV, OG. That is 3 starters out of lineup. I know Lowry, Powell and Boucher arent chopped liver but not sure we are keeping up with Pistons tonight even with how bad they are. Look for a blowout tonight. 3 of the better defensive players are out.
Raptors are still favourites. Doubt they get blown out by the Pistons.

Some of Kyle’s best performances come with the bench/3rd stringers.

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018
I know the Raptors were extremely shorthanded but thats still gotta be one of the worst games I've seen the Raptors play in the Masai era, only Lowry and Norm looked like they wanted to win.

Alot of players that shouldn't be on the roster next year got exposed tonight due to their lack of intensity, basketball IQ, and defensive efforts. Oh well...on to the next, which is the second night of a back to back missing three starters against the Celtics lol wtf.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I know the Raptors were extremely shorthanded but thats still gotta be one of the worst games I've seen the Raptors play in the Masai era, only Lowry and Norm looked like they wanted to win.

Alot of players that shouldn't be on the roster next year got exposed tonight due to their lack of intensity, basketball IQ, and defensive efforts. Oh well...on to the next, which is the second night of a back to back missing three starters against the Celtics lol wtf.

They didn’t stand much of a chance with Yuta and Terrance Davis starting. Yuta is terrible and why they keep giving Davis chances is beyond me, he disappoints all the time. I know there options were limited but those 2 guys should not have started. Thankfully one only played 10 minutes.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
They didn’t stand much of a chance with Yuta and Terrance Davis starting. Yuta is terrible and why they keep giving Davis chances is beyond me, he disappoints all the time. I know there options were limited but those 2 guys should not have started. Thankfully one only played 10 minutes.
Watanabe isn’t terrible at all. He’s a very good depth forward that can do a bit of everything. He was injured and struggled in his return... And I’ve tried several times explaining what people see in Terence Davis. (I even posted a skill breakdown video made by someone recently hired by the Dallas Mavericks)... And Davis has been mostly good for the last few weeks.

What alternatives do they have?

Problem is no centre (Boucher got bodied all night long) and running a guy like Matt Thomas for 20 minutes when you have actual NBA players on the bench. It’s hard to watch.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Watanabe isn’t terrible at all. He’s a very good depth forward that can do a bit of everything. He was injured and struggled in his return... And I’ve tried several times explaining what people see in Terence Davis. (I even posted a skill breakdown video made by someone recently hired by the Dallas Mavericks)... And Davis has been mostly good for the last few weeks.

What alternatives do they have?

Problem is no centre (Boucher got bodied all night long) and running a guy like Matt Thomas for 20 minutes when you have actual NBA players on the bench. It’s hard to watch.

Watanabe looks like an 11 year old running around with his head cut off. Let’s not confuse effort with skill and ability. Toronto has an obsession with try hards.

davis had a golden opportunity last night and laid an egg. Bad decision after bad decision. He is what he is, a end of the bench guy. You pick on Thomas again, but he’s the one guy that actually looked decent.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Why play when you have 1/2 the team

sure loss, so stupid

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Watanabe looks like an 11 year old running around with his head cut off. Let’s not confuse effort with skill and ability. Toronto has an obsession with try hards.

davis had a golden opportunity last night and laid an egg. Bad decision after bad decision. He is what he is, a end of the bench guy. You pick on Thomas again, but he’s the one guy that actually looked decent.
I’m only confused what game you’re watching. Watanabe is a good player for 9-12 in your rotation. He can dribble, pass, shoot, defend multiple positions, rebound, solid IQ with game awareness. Not sure what you expect from him. He plays almost mistake free, he’s too passive. I’d like to see him more aggressive.

Davis tried to do too much. That’s common with young players who are in and out of the rotation. He’s 23 and one of few who made an all rookie team as an undrafted player. He still has a lot of potential which he may or may not realize, but saying ‘he is what he is’ after COVID changed their season, offseason, summer league, training camp etc is pretty silly. He could be a better version of Norman Powell in a few short years. The organization knows it and that’s why they’ll continue to try and get him going.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
@GoonieFace And I think we watched different games if you thought Thomas was good. I see a player who can’t get open unless the defense makes a mistake. When he does pump and get them on the fly by, he does a one-dribble pull up into a long two - the worst shot in basketball rather than using footwork and sidestepping for three.

... and he literally got emergency subbed while Jack was politely calling him trash with something like “you’ve gotta make your shots, and you hurt the team when you can’t stay in front of your man” ... as he took the walk of shame after making Rodney freaking McGruder look like a superstar.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I’m only confused what game you’re watching. Watanabe is a good player for 9-12 in your rotation. He can dribble, pass, shoot, defend multiple positions, rebound, solid IQ with game awareness. Not sure what you expect from him. He plays almost mistake free, he’s too passive. I’d like to see him more aggressive.

Davis tried to do too much. That’s common with young players who are in and out of the rotation. He’s 23 and one of few who made an all rookie team as an undrafted player. He still has a lot of potential which he may or may not realize, but saying ‘he is what he is’ after COVID changed their season, offseason, summer league, training camp etc is pretty silly. He could be a better version of Norman Powell in a few short years. The organization knows it and that’s why they’ll continue to try and get him going.

Watanabe not aggressive enough? The guy literally attacks people with the ball and runs around doing flybys. The guy is going to severely injure himself. He chases the ball like an 11 year old. There was a reason he only played 10 minutes. He is out of his league.

Thomas was 4-7 from the field, so he made his shots. He forced a few early which is understandable when you don’t play and when you do get in and see Powell and Davis continually force bad shots and drives into triple teams, you get desperate.

if you listen to Jack Armstrong you have problems right there. The guy is senile. If you didn’t notice the Pistons were making everything and singling out one guy, when Davis got lit up as well, doesn’t make sense.

Covid changes a lot for a lot of teams, Raptors more so, but that’s not an excuse.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Watanabe not aggressive enough? The guy literally attacks people with the ball and runs around doing flybys. The guy is going to severely injure himself. He chases the ball like an 11 year old. There was a reason he only played 10 minutes. He is out of his league.

Thomas was 4-7 from the field, so he made his shots. He forced a few early which is understandable when you don’t play and when you do get in and see Powell and Davis continually force bad shots and drives into triple teams, you get desperate.

if you listen to Jack Armstrong you have problems right there. The guy is senile. If you didn’t notice the Pistons were making everything and singling out one guy, when Davis got lit up as well, doesn’t make sense.

Covid changes a lot for a lot of teams, Raptors more so, but that’s not an excuse.
Not aggressive on offense. On defense, he plays with energy and intensity, helps defend the paint and always flies out at shooters. That’s exactly what they want him to do?

Thomas can’t get open unless the defense makes a mistake, and he’s probably the worst defender on an NBA roster. Watch the game again and focus on him. He gets embarrassed almost every play.

If you can’t see the difference between Davis & Powell vs Matt Thomas we can’t talk hoops.

I listen to the broadcast and laughed a little while Jack was tearing into Thomas as the camera followed him on the walk of shame.

COVID isn’t an excuse, but it’s played a factor in player development. Especially with players still new the league, they need reps and this past year has been a massive loss of playing time.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Not aggressive on offense. On defense, he plays with energy and intensity, helps defend the paint and always flies out at shooters. That’s exactly what they want him to do?

Thomas can’t get open unless the defense makes a mistake, and he’s probably the worst defender on an NBA roster. Watch the game again and focus on him. He gets embarrassed almost every play.

If you can’t see the difference between Davis & Powell vs Matt Thomas we can’t talk hoops.

I listen to the broadcast and laughed a little while Jack was tearing into Thomas as the camera followed him on the walk of shame.

COVID isn’t an excuse, but it’s played a factor in player development. Especially with players still new the league, they need reps and this past year has been a massive loss of playing time.

There’s a difference between flying by and closing out on a shooter. He just fly’s right by. He is comical to watch actually.

I love Powell, Davis I just don’t see it. I never compared Thomas to either one of them. They are different players entirely. Thomas is a piece they need off the bench. They have a bunch of barren offensive players there. Every team has a sharp shooter off the bench, you just have to live with the defensive deficiencies. He draws defenders and made some nice pick and roll plays with Boucher. I don’t care if his defence is lacking, he can score. Why do guys that can’t contribute offensively not get the ridicule, but guys with defensive deficiencies do? Seems backwards in a league that love offence

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
There’s a difference between flying by and closing out on a shooter. He just fly’s right by. He is comical to watch actually.

I love Powell, Davis I just don’t see it. I never compared Thomas to either one of them. They are different players entirely. Thomas is a piece they need off the bench. They have a bunch of barren offensive players there. Every team has a sharp shooter off the bench, you just have to live with the defensive deficiencies. He draws defenders and made some nice pick and roll plays with Boucher. I don’t care if his defence is lacking, he can score. Why do guys that can’t contribute offensively not get the ridicule, but guys with defensive deficiencies do? Seems backwards in a league that love offence
Fly by vs closeout is in the game plan and varies depending on the player. Yuta does what he’s told.

Do you not remember young Norman Powell doing the same shit? Dumb turnovers cost him his spot in the rotation a number of times and it wasn’t until last year that he finally got it. Davis has better offensive tools than rookie Norm, and is bigger, stronger, and even more athletic and we’ve already seen him look like a very good on-ball defender for stretches. Once he gets smarter and more experienced, he will be really good. The motor and will is there.

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018

The disappointing thing is that Detroit was playing without their starters too, it was the Pistons bench warmers vs the Raptors bench warmers, a test for them and they failed miserably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad