Raptors Discussion: v93 | Panic level rising significantly

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Raptors at fork in road with Lowry, Powell but will only sell on their terms - Sportsnet.ca

The key message here: the Raptors know they’re on a losing streak, they just aren’t making any decisions based off it.

All that said, Toronto hasn’t closed any doors.

As the losses have mounted, the usual suspects have circled back on Lowry with the likely destinations remaining the Philadelphia 76ers and the Miami Heat, who each view him as someone who could help them get over the top in a highly competitive Eastern Conference.

The Raptors haven’t been shopping him, but they’ve been listening. They had a management meeting Monday night to share intel internally. Opinions are forming. Similarly, Lowry hasn’t been pushing for a trade, but understands that getting moved could offer him not only a chance to win another title – cementing his legacy and likely solidifying his case as a Hall of Famer – but since his Bird rights would travel with him, allow his new team to sign him even while over the salary cap. That detail would give him the best chance to sign a contract somewhere in the ballpark of the $30 million annually he’s earning now. If he stays in Toronto and decides to leave in free agency, he would be relying on teams that have cap space to set the market, a much less certain proposition.

In that scenario, the Raptors could end up as the best option, just as they were in 2017 when Lowry explored free agency only to see the market shrink quickly. He was fortunate that the Raptors were waiting with a three-year deal for $100 million that far outstripped anything that was otherwise available to him, although easily proved good value on that deal.

But finding a fit is tougher than most might think. The Sixers have the requisite expiring contracts to flesh out a deal, and more draft capital than the Heat, but are light on difference-making prospects that complement the Raptors' existing core. Tyrese Maxey is intriguing, but the Raptors have VanVleet and Flynn at the same position. Does adding a 20-year-old point guard and a future late first-round draft pick make the Raptors better? Is it fair return for Lowry, who may still be Toronto’s best player, saying nothing of his iconic status? Does the Sixers' Matisse Thybulle (4.3 points per game career average over two seasons) really move any needles?

I can see why Philly would be in a rush to make that trade, I’m not sure why Toronto would.

The Heat have different challenges. As things stand, Miami won’t have a first-round pick they can trade until 2028 as all they've all been dealt or are tied up with pick protections. Teams aren’t allowed to trade picks in consecutive years and not further out than seven seasons. In theory, Miami could acquire a pick from another team, but that would mean dipping into their pool of prospects that a team like the Raptors might be interested in.

The fit with Miami includes Lowry’s willingness to sign there and the possibility of acquiring some collection of the Heat’s younger core. Certainly, adding 21-year-old Tyler Herro, who played well as a rookie in the playoffs last season, would pique the Raptors' interest, as would pending restricted free agent Duncan Robinson. The soon-to-be 27-year-old is one of the best shooters in the league and would fit well alongside the Raptors' core. And given Toronto’s lack of bigs, rookie centre Precious Achiuwa would be a nice piece, too.

But all those players are on rookie deals that hardly make a dent in the roughly $25 million Miami would have to send out to match Lowry’s incoming salary, and they are each part of the Heat’s existing rotation. To make the money work, the Heat would likely need to include pending free agent Kelly Olynyk ($12.6 million), who is starting for them, and one of either Goran Dragic ($18 million), who is their leading bench scorer and a fixture in closing lineups, or Andre Iguodala ($15 million), who is still a prominent part of their rotation and remains an elite defender with a bottomless well of smarts and experience.

When the Heat traded Meyers Leonard and his $10-million expiring contract to the Oklahoma City Thunder for Trevor Ariza, a Lowry deal got a little harder.

Might Lowry be traded before Thursday at 3 p.m.? He might be, if the deal is right, but even as their season spirals, there is good reason why the Raptors don’t view themselves as motivated sellers. They will deal only on their terms.

Still, of the two, Powell may be more likely to be traded, and league sources suggest the Raptors have been more aggressive in soliciting offers for Powell, who will almost certainly opt out of the last year of his deal, looking for a big raise from the $11.6 million he would otherwise make.

He’s proven himself one of the NBA’s best shooters and has a slashing element that most of the league’s elite marksmen don’t have.

But what is his trade value?

His contract status complicates things – teams that view him as a starter might want to surrender less because they might have to pay Powell something in the range of $72 million – the expectation being that the Brooklyn Nets' Joe Harris might provide a benchmark for the Raptors wing. Teams that view him as a rotation piece for a playoff push might want to surrender less because Powell might be less likely to sign going forward in that role.

“He’s been really good and shoots it a high clip. I just don’t know if he’s a starter in the NBA,” said one Eastern Conference executive. “And when you’re putting up those kinds of numbers and he gets to free agency, you have to pay him, so maybe that’s why they’re looking at capitalizing on him right now because his value is what it is.”

Would Powell be enough to pry a starter-level big and maybe a future second-round pick?

Could he provide the means to get the Raptors in on deals for John Collins in Atlanta – a pending restricted free agent – or Richaun Holmes, a pending free agent big in Sacramento with chops as a rebounder and rim protector, two of Toronto's most glaring weaknesses?

The Raptors are going to work the Powell angle hard, is my guess, and I think it’s more likely he gets moved than he doesn’t.

I’m less sure about Lowry for the reasons I’ve been saying all along: He’s not pushing to go and the obstacles to a proper return for a player of his stature remain significant.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
This mini-retool is needed. Excited to see what Masai has in store.

The losing streak is a bit of a blessing. Let's them sell off Norm/Lowry without it being controversial.

Had they been sitting in a playoff spot, media/fan pressure would likely prevent those moves, even though there'd have been a 0% chance of winning a championship and MLSE wouldn't even be making standard playoff gate revenue.

Hopefully they make some good trades selling these guys, get a high pick, maybe land a decent free agent in the offseason, and move this team in a good direction longterm.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
If Lowry/Powell trades include RFA’s (or whatever the lingo is in the NBA), couldn’t they just conceivably be flipped for expiring and picks?
These kinds of trades bring back volume, quantity. But the key to me is maximizing the Raps 1st.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Lowry is the Raptor GOAT.

All respect to that man, hope if we send him somewhere we get a good deal and he wins another chip and solidifies his HOF credentials.

Powell has been a good Rap as well, with his next contract likely being expensive he makes a lot of sense to move.

Let's add some pieces and see what we can do, this team has broken down since the title run.

I'd do it all over again 100 times though, that season was magical man.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Been a tough year, and it can't be completely written off, but hopefully the circumstances around the last 12 months are taken into account, and people don't want the baby thrown out with the bathwater. I expect Powell is traded by the deadline, still think Kyle stays, just too complicated to get a deal done and they're not trading him for the sake of trading him.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Been a tough year, and it can't be completely written off, but hopefully the circumstances around the last 12 months are taken into account, and people don't want the baby thrown out with the bathwater. I expect Powell is traded by the deadline, still think Kyle stays, just too complicated to get a deal done and they're not trading him for the sake of trading him.

What makes dealing Lowry too complicated?

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
What makes dealing Lowry too complicated?

His contract means taking a bunch of money back. The Raptors aren't going to want to take on bad ones, the other team might not want to part with some of the pieces required to make it work. Some teams don't have the young talent the Raptors would find intriguing - or won't part with them. Some teams - Miami, IIRC, are prohibited from trading a 1st rounder until 2028. The NBA is messy, and hell, the Raptors might look at next summer with no Giannis available, may think re-signing Lowry makes the most sense. He may want to ring chase, so a risk there, obviously, but the Raptors can offer more money which will weigh on his decision. Not impossible he gets dealt - and more likely than it was a couple weeks ago, obviously - but making it work is complex. It's not a situation where you can cut your losses and dump him for a 1st and a rookie contract at 2:55 on Thursday.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Miami won’t part with Herro. Not a chance. I just worry the deadline passes and we keep Lowry and Powell and lose them for nothing in the off season. I can see that happening though.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Who do you guys generally follow on Twitter for Raps news? I follow Grange and the big names but I'm looking for lower level blogger types (like Kevin Papetti, Nick Simpson, Nick Desouza for the Leafs types).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad