Raptors Discussion: v91 - NBA in restart plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
How long did it took the Raptors to be a consistent Playoffs team?
Masai Ujiri signed after the 12/13 season and they haven’t missed the playoffs since. 7 straight years of 48+ wins, 6/7 division championships and 8 playoff series wins, two conference finals, and obviously a finals and championship last year.

When he arrived he put an emphasis on two way, high character winners so it’s weird to see so many compare the Leafs to them. They’re literally nothing alike.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I think we match up really well against the Lakers, not saying that because we're 2-0 against them either thought that doesn't hurt. I think we benefit, and maybe benefit a lot from these "special circumstances" we find ourselves in. The biggest factor might be that home advantage means nothing when we play the best teams. As long as we stay healthy, I don't see how were more then a very slight dog against any team.
I think they matchup well against everyone but the Clippers. Lakers, Bucks and Heat are all tough but very beatable. If they can stay healthy I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see them in the finals.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Haha I’m watching the Chinese basketball league finals. Sonny Weems plays! He has to be fairly old? Jeremy Lin is playing as well. He looks really different

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Weems is 34. He was with the Raps right at the start of his career (minus his time in Denver for a year) and he was out of the league fairly quickly. So it probably seems like he should be older than he really is.

Reactions: trellaine201

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018
How long did it took the Raptors to be a consistent Playoffs team?

As soon as Masai was in charge. Seventh straight year of making the playoffs this year, fifth straight 50 win season (need 1 more win), seven straight 48+ wins seasons, made it past the first round four straight years, went to ECF in 2016, produced a MIP and a Finals MVP, COY finalist this year and won the championship last year....all of this without a single lottery pick.

Reactions: donghabs98

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
As soon as Masai was in charge. Seventh straight year of making the playoffs this year, fifth straight 50 win season (need 1 more win), seven straight 48+ wins seasons, made it past the first round four straight years, went to ECF in 2016, produced a MIP and a Finals MVP, COY finalist this year and won the championship last year....all of this without a single lottery pick.
In short, took Masai and the Raptors 7 years of making the playoffs consistently before winning a Championship.

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018
In short, took Masai and the Raptors 7 years of making the playoffs consistently before winning a Championship.

In short, it is an amazing accomplishment especially for a "hockey town", you trying to compare the Leafs to them or something? is that the hill you want to die on today?

Reactions: ronzigato

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
In short, it is an amazing accomplishment, you trying to compare the Leafs to them or something? is that the hill you want to die on today?
Not at all, 1. I really don’t know when Masai came in and how the Raptors did right after he came in.
2. It was amazing what Masai did but it didn’t happen over night.
Don’t think you can compare two franchises even if they are in the same league. Take the Raptors, I don’t think any teams in the NBA will go, let’s follow the Raptors thus we don’t need lottery picks.
If there is one thing Dubas needs to learn from Masai is the fact that the balls to pull the trigger for players, even if it is your superstar. Also having a coach like Nurse in place who gives a specific role for players.

Reactions: Plat87

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018
Not at all, 1. I really don’t know when Masai came in and how the Raptors did right after he came in.
2. It was amazing what Masai did but it didn’t happen over night.
Don’t think you can compare two franchises even if they are in the same league. Take the Raptors, I don’t think any teams in the NBA will go, let’s follow the Raptors thus we don’t need lottery picks.
If there is one thing Dubas needs to learn from Masai is the fact that the balls to pull the trigger for players, even if it is your superstar. Also having a coach like Nurse in place who gives a specific role for players.

No championships happen overnight, unless you're a superteam you are going to through trials and tribulations, ups and downs, taking risks and a little bit of luck to win a championship, this is why Masai is known to be the best executive in the NBA right now. To have seven straight years of continued success without a significant lottery pick and to do that after several terrible regimes that preceded Masai is nothing short of a miracle.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
No championships happen overnight, unless you're a superteam you are going to through trials and tribulations, ups and downs, taking risks and a little bit of luck to win a championship, this is why Masai is known to be the best executive in the NBA right now. To have seven straight years of continued success without a significant lottery pick and to do that after several terrible regimes that preceded Masai is nothing short of a miracle.
Yep. I mean everyone is judge by results and hindsight is 20/20. Just saying if the Raps didn’t win last year, I don’t think fans will up in arms saying Masai gambled too much and traded away DeMar for ONE yr of Kawhi or he fired the Coach of the Year....bc of what he had done/credits in the past. Ofcourse now that he won, nobody is complaining as all his moves paid off.
Another example of Nurse. I love the way he calls defense on his team, that Box 1 he used in the Finals still amaze me, but imagine it didn’t work, everyone will be like even High School teams don’t use that...

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018
Yep. I mean everyone is judge by results and hindsight is 20/20. Just saying if the Raps didn’t win last year, I don’t think fans will up in arms saying Masai gambled too much and traded away DeMar for ONE yr of Kawhi or he fired the Coach of the Year....bc of what he had done/credits in the past. Ofcourse now that he won, nobody is complaining as all his moves paid off.
Another example of Nurse. I love the way he calls defense on his team, that Box 1 he used in the Finals still amaze me, but imagine it didn’t work, everyone will be like even High School teams don’t use that...

Every logical Raptor fan knew that the Demar/Casey/Lowry trio was just not gonna get it done to win the whole thing, Masai was and is about winning championships, yes he could have kept that trio and they probably would have made the playoffs and be second round fodder for the next five years but being a great executive means you are proactive and not reactive and that means you have to take calculated risks...which is what the Kawhi trade was. Even if we didn't win the championship last year then you simply rebuild after that, the bottom line is that it was time to end that Demar/Casey experiment.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

This just makes me sad.

Bring them back!

(just to be clear, I mean the Vancouver Grizzlies. though I wouldn't be opposed to seeing more of the retro Raps unis as well.)

Last edited:
Reactions: donghabs98

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Idk why but I get mad every time we see those sweet jerseys being used by Memphis.

really want my bball team back

I don't know if it makes me mad, but it makes me laugh that everyone thinks they're cool now. I remember all the people outside of Vancouver absolutely savaging the uni designs in the early Grizzlies years.

Also it frustrates me that replicas of those jerseys have the native print trim on them. My replica from the original Grizzlies run doesn't. it just got a black and bronze band around it. Also it wouldn't fit me anymore :laugh: But the new replicas are like $130 to get a throwback version with Bibby or Abdur-Rahim on the back.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
I am hoping that Nurse is not showing his hand and we will see more Siakam post-ups in the playoffs.

I don't like it when he is handling the ball outside the 3 point line. He is not a good enough shooter to consistently get good looks out there and his quickness gets negated.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I am hoping that Nurse is not showing his hand and we will see more Siakam post-ups in the playoffs.

I don't like it when he is handling the ball outside the 3 point line. He is not a good enough shooter to consistently get good looks out there and his quickness gets negated.
Vanfleet Lowry and Ibaka not playing we have more cards to play.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Raps are the envy of the league as far as development and coaching go. Holy crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->