Raptors Discussion: v91 - NBA in restart plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The raptors have everything that the leafs desperately want. They have elite defense which can win them games alone. Have star players who can dominate on their own and win you games. They have the best or 2nd best coach in the league. Their depth players (Ibaka, Powell, OG, Davis) can outperform their starters any given night and it won't be a surprise. They are both physically tough and mentally tough having the mindset of a champion with the ability to close off the noise. Raptors just know how to win close grinding games against the best competition in the NBA
And it took years and years to get there. Short memories on what they did before Kahwi.

Reactions: CincoHolio

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
And it took years and years to get there. Short memories on what they did before Kahwi.
Still had the ECF run in 2016 without Kawhi/gasol/SIakam/FVv etc. The Raptors were an elite regular season team. They were 2nd, 3rd and 1st in the eastern conference from 2016-2018. Got out in ECF, and swept in ESF to bron and kyrie back to back. The Raptors were an elite team similar to the capitals who were unable to get the job done come in the playoffs.

The leafs sadly have not been that level in the regular season being 3rd and b/w 7th to 12th in the league fron 2018-2020. They have not won a 1st round series yet while the Raptors had 1st round success at the minimum.

Raptors drafting and the Kawhi trade turned them into the best team in the NBA the past two years. The leafs havent shown that level of drafting ot pulled off a trade of that magnitude which can shift our teams performance around yet.

Reactions: Plat87

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto

Clinching 2nd is big.

Second is huge, and the way I see it, it would be preferable to 1st even. We likely draw the Celtics in the second round as opposed to the heat.

Honestly, after watching a lot of the games during the re-start, I'm really liking the Raps chances to get back to the finals.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Bucks lose two in a row, hmm.

I thought it was pretty arrogant of Budenholzer to not take this game seriously considering they haven't clinched 1st yet with games coming up against Heat, Mavs and Raps. Sure they have the Wizards still but just seemed to be an odd decision to take their foot off the gas when, really, they haven't looked all that great.

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018

At least they got out of the first round several times pre-Kawhi though, even took two from the eventual champions in the Conference Finals in 2016.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Second is huge, and the way I see it, it would be preferable to 1st even. We likely draw the Celtics in the second round as opposed to the heat.

Honestly, after watching a lot of the games during the re-start, I'm really liking the Raps chances to get back to the finals.

2 wins in the next 6 and we clinch 2nd.

Don't care if we play Boston or Miami in the second round. We are good enough to beat either.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
2 wins in the next 6 and we clinch 2nd.

Don't care if we play Boston or Miami in the second round. We are good enough to beat either.
Doesn't it seem unfair that the Bucks have played an extra 2 games, we can't even catch, unless we win out and they lose all of their games.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
'Per 100' means per 100 possessions.
I'm still not sure what it "means".

Heat play better against Gasol? Lakers don't know how to play against Gasol?

Gasol upped his game against Lakers, but didn't against Heat. Why?

We won both games.

I think Koreen is probably making a good point, but I need help getting it. I'm guessing it's "Gasol had an off night".

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
No, he's saying Gasol was immense defensively both nights.

On average, teams score approximately 110 points per 100 possessions (the Raps are one of the best defenses in the league and allow 104.9). Those numbers from Gasol are ridiculous.

Reactions: sparxx87

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I am excited about our chances. People were/are majorly sleepin on the Raps. I think they are the team to beat if you want to come out of the East. Milwaukee is great, but they have not proven that they can win the East in the playoffs.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I'm still not sure what it "means".

Heat play better against Gasol? Lakers don't know how to play against Gasol?

Gasol upped his game against Lakers, but didn't against Heat. Why?

We won both games.

I think Koreen is probably making a good point, but I need help getting it. I'm guessing it's "Gasol had an off night".
No, it means the Lakers and Heat were held to ~30-40% less points per 100 than normal with him on the floor. Unsustainable, but they indicate Gasol has been incredibly elite defensively through two games.

Heat numbers are great. Lakers numbers made me think misprint they’re so ridiculous.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
No, it means the Lakers and Heat were held to ~30-40% less points per 100 than normal with him on the floor. Unsustainable, but they indicate Gasol has been incredibly elite defensively through two games.

Heat numbers are great. Lakers numbers made me think misprint they’re so ridiculous.

I think we match up really well against the Lakers, not saying that because we're 2-0 against them either thought that doesn't hurt. I think we benefit, and maybe benefit a lot from these "special circumstances" we find ourselves in. The biggest factor might be that home advantage means nothing when we play the best teams. As long as we stay healthy, I don't see how were more then a very slight dog against any team.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Hey, anyone remember when ESPN predicted the Raps would miss the playoffs and be a potential lottery team without Kawhi?

2f7ff847-8ee9-4c66-8289-462ba6597df2.nba_1_1280x720.jpg

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018
This team is so deep, almost 7 players in double digits today and that defense in the first half was insane. OG's improved dribbling skills is impressive to watch and the dude is a beast defensively, Siakam needs to be better though.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Still had the ECF run in 2016 without Kawhi/gasol/SIakam/FVv etc. The Raptors were an elite regular season team. They were 2nd, 3rd and 1st in the eastern conference from 2016-2018. Got out in ECF, and swept in ESF to bron and kyrie back to back. The Raptors were an elite team similar to the capitals who were unable to get the job done come in the playoffs.

The leafs sadly have not been that level in the regular season being 3rd and b/w 7th to 12th in the league fron 2018-2020. They have not won a 1st round series yet while the Raptors had 1st round success at the minimum.

Raptors drafting and the Kawhi trade turned them into the best team in the NBA the past two years. The leafs havent shown that level of drafting ot pulled off a trade of that magnitude which can shift our teams performance around yet.
How long did it took the Raptors to be a consistent Playoffs team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad