Raptors Discussion: v90| Fighting through the injuries (but not Coronavirus. NBA Suspends season until further notice)

Who wins the game Clips or Raps?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Tragic news. Kobe was a legend on the court and a humanitarian off the court.

May he, his daughter, and the other passengers rest in peace.

Reactions: ktownhockey

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I remember playing basketball in my high school gym jacking up shots calling “Kobe” every time he was such a huge part of my childhood growing up in the way he played the game and approached competition.

I think the best way to describe Kobe and the effect he had on the league is this:

KOBE played in MJs nba but the game we see today is KOBEs NBA.

the amount of stars and role players that look up to him show the impact he had on the game.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I remember playing basketball in my high school gym jacking up shots calling “Kobe” every time he was such a huge part of my childhood growing up in the way he played the game and approached competition.

I was thinking about this a lot today. Literally any time any of us through anything we would yell "Kobe". Putting a can in the recycling, "Kobe", dirty laundry into the hamper, "Kobe".

He was such a huge part of this last generation of basketball players and also just set the standard of greatness for athletes across every sport. I don't know if there is any athlete who has had that kind of an impact on the world of sports to this date.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I for one have come on this site many of time to debate the merits of what Kobe accomplished in his illustrious career. I have always been a huge supporter and fan.

Its with a heavy heart that I speak of this tremendous loss to the sport of basketball and he as a humanitarian to all outside of basketball. My deepest condolences to the entire Bryant family on the loss of your icon, you husband, father and son. May you all get the support you will need on the loss of Kobe and your beloved daughter Gianna.

In my eyes before and moving forward, I will remember you as the NBA legend. No player today will ever duplicate what you and MJ did for the NBA. The Lebrons, the Hardens, the Leonards will not be where they are today if it weren't for you and MJ.

RIP MAMBA.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
NBA trade deadline - What we're hearing about all 30 teams - ESPN.com

Toronto Raptors

What to watch: Buyers at the deadline, but at what cost?

Toronto's trade pieces to improve this season include the $23.3 million expiring contract of Serge Ibaka, a team-friendly, three-year deal for Norman Powell ($10.1 million annually) and salary-cap fillers in Patrick McCaw ($4 million), Stanley Johnson ($3.6 million) and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson ($2.5 million). The Raptors own all of their future first-rounders.

The team should gauge what McCaw, Johnson and a first-round pick can bring back. Packaging both players means the Raptors can trade for up to $9.6 million in salary. That would put them in the range of Bogdan Bogdanovic (unlikely), E'Twaun Moore (possible), JJ Redick (unlikely and would still need to add salary), D.J. Augustin (unlikely), Kris Dunn (possible) and Marco Belinelli (possible).

Front-office deadline history: Besides the deal to acquire Gasol, Toronto made two other trades in February, and both were financially motivated, saving Toronto $9 million toward the luxury tax. Prior to the 2019 deadline, the Raptors had made five regular-season trades since Ujiri took over in 2013.

Restrictions/notes

• Toronto is $11.7 million below the hard cap.

• Pascal Siakam has a poison pill restriction.

• Toronto has three trade exceptions worth $2.5 million, $1.6 million and $1.5 million.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

Toronto Raptors

Toronto's trade pieces to improve this season include the $23.3 million expiring contract of Serge Ibaka, a team-friendly, three-year deal for Norman Powell ($10.1 million annually) and salary-cap fillers in Patrick McCaw ($4 million), Stanley Johnson ($3.6 million) and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson ($2.5 million). The Raptors own all of their future first-rounders.

The team should gauge what McCaw, Johnson and a first-round pick can bring back. Packaging both players means the Raptors can trade for up to $9.6 million in salary. That would put them in the range of Bogdan Bogdanovic (unlikely), E'Twaun Moore (possible), JJ Redick (unlikely and would still need to add salary), D.J. Augustin (unlikely), Kris Dunn (possible) and Marco Belinelli (possible).

Front-office deadline history: Besides the deal to acquire Gasol, Toronto made two other trades in February, and both were financially motivated, saving Toronto $9 million toward the luxury tax. Prior to the 2019 deadline, the Raptors had made five regular-season trades since Ujiri took over in 2013.

Restrictions/notes

• Toronto has three trade exceptions worth $2.5 million, $1.6 million and $1.5 million.

What is the Siakam poison pill restriction?

What does having 3 trade exceptions do for the Raps?

Also I would include OG on the list of trade pieces prior to Powell. What does OG, McCaw, Johnson and 1st Round Pick get you? Has to be better then names your suggesting!

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
What is the Siakam poison pill restriction?
Exploring the case for and specifics of a potential Pascal...

There’s also the small note that Siakam in his current form – at a $2.35-million salary heading into restricted free agency – would be a significant trade chip. The Raptors have him in their long-term plans, so this is a lesser consideration, but signing him to an extension this summer would make him very hard to trade in 2019-20 due to the “poison pill provision.” If Siakam signs an extension, his salary for the purposes of matching in trades would be different for the team acquiring him than it would be for the Raptors, making him very difficult to move. This would only be a consideration if a legitimate superstar became available to pair with Leonard and would mean the Raptors shifting from the 2020 pivot foot they’ve long maintained, but it’s worth keeping in mind.

Poison Pill Provision

The poison pill provision is a rule that arises if a team extends a player's rookie scale contract, then trades him before the extension officially takes effect. It's a rare situation, but it features its own set of rules, since extensions following rookie contracts often create a large discrepancy between a player's current and future salary.

For salary purposes, if a player is traded between extending his rookie contract and the extension taking effect, the player's trade value for the receiving team is the average of his current salary and the annual salary in each year of his extension.

For instance, let's pretend the Timberwolves wanted to trade Kevin Love on draft night — an unlikely scenario, of course, but Love's an example of a player who extended his rookie scale contract earlier this year. Love's 2011/12 salary was about $4.61MM, while his four-year extension will be worth the maximum salary. The max salary figures for Love currently look like this:

Love's $62.11MM total divided by five years gives him an average annual salary of about $12.42MM. So if the T-Wolves were to trade him, the outgoing salary for their purposes would be his current salary ($4.61MM), but for the receiving team, it would be $12.42MM.

Trades in which the poison pill provision arises are extremely rare. Generally, young players who have just received extensions from their teams aren't trade candidates, and even if they are, the difference in incoming and outgoing salaries make it difficult to work out a deal. But if you see what appears to be some odd salary-matching in a trade involving a recently-extended player, now you know why.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Any potential trade we do is something that won't impact next year's free agency. It will be tough but I think Masai will do something at the deadline.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Kobe Bryant’s helicopter was flying in fog that local police deemed too dangerous

CALABASAS, Calif. (AP) — The helicopter carrying Kobe Bryant and eight others that crashed in the rugged hills outside Los Angeles was flying in foggy weather considered dangerous enough that local police departments had grounded their choppers.

The aircraft plunged into a steep hillside Sunday, scattering debris over an area the size of a football field and killing everyone aboard. The accident generated an outpouring of grief and shock around the world over the sudden loss of the all-time basketball great who spent his entire 20-year career with the Los Angeles Lakers.

Thousands of fans, many wearing Bryant jerseys and chanting his name, gathered outside the Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles, home of the Lakers and site of Sunday’s Grammy Awards, where Bryant was honored.

The 41-year-old Bryant, who perished with his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, was one of the game’s most popular players, an 18-time All-Star who helped lead the Lakers to five NBA championships.

The cause of the crash was unknown, but conditions at the time were such that the Los Angeles Police Department and the county sheriff’s department grounded their helicopters.

The Los Angeles County medical examiner, Dr. Jonathan Lucas, said the rugged terrain complicated efforts to recover the remains. He estimated it would take at least a couple of days to complete the task.

The Sikorsky S-76 went down in Calabasas, about 30 miles (48 kilometers) northwest of downtown Los Angeles. Authorities did not say where Bryant was going, but the helicopter appeared headed in the direction of his youth sports academy in nearby Thousand Oaks, which was holding a basketball tournament Sunday in which Bryant’s daughter, known as GiGi, was competing.

Bryant’s helicopter left Santa Ana in Orange County, south of Los Angeles, shortly after 9 a.m., heading north and then west. Air traffic controllers noted poor visibility around Burbank to the north and Van Nuys to the northwest. The aircraft crashed into the hillside around 9:45 a.m. at about 1,400 feet (426 meters), according to data from Flightradar24.

When it struck the ground, the helicopter was flying at about 160 knots (184 mph) and descending at a rate of more than 4,000 feet per minute, the data showed.

Federal safety investigators were sent to the scene. Among other things, they will look at the pilot’s history and the chopper’s maintenance records, said National Transportation Safety Board board member Jennifer Homendy.

Kurt Deetz, a pilot who used to fly Bryant in the chopper, said the crash was more likely caused by bad weather than by engine or other mechanical problems.

“The likelihood of a catastrophic twin engine failure on that aircraft — it just doesn’t happen,” he told the Los Angeles Times.

Justin Green, an aviation attorney in New York who flew helicopters in the Marine Corps, said pilots can become disoriented in low visibility, losing track of which direction is up. Green said a pilot flying an S-76 would be instrument-rated, meaning that person could fly the helicopter without relying on visual cues from outside.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Kobe Bryant’s helicopter was flying in fog that local police deemed too dangerous

CALABASAS, Calif. (AP) — The helicopter carrying Kobe Bryant and eight others that crashed in the rugged hills outside Los Angeles was flying in foggy weather considered dangerous enough that local police departments had grounded their choppers.

The aircraft plunged into a steep hillside Sunday, scattering debris over an area the size of a football field and killing everyone aboard. The accident generated an outpouring of grief and shock around the world over the sudden loss of the all-time basketball great who spent his entire 20-year career with the Los Angeles Lakers.

Thousands of fans, many wearing Bryant jerseys and chanting his name, gathered outside the Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles, home of the Lakers and site of Sunday’s Grammy Awards, where Bryant was honored.

The 41-year-old Bryant, who perished with his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, was one of the game’s most popular players, an 18-time All-Star who helped lead the Lakers to five NBA championships.

The cause of the crash was unknown, but conditions at the time were such that the Los Angeles Police Department and the county sheriff’s department grounded their helicopters.

The Los Angeles County medical examiner, Dr. Jonathan Lucas, said the rugged terrain complicated efforts to recover the remains. He estimated it would take at least a couple of days to complete the task.

The Sikorsky S-76 went down in Calabasas, about 30 miles (48 kilometers) northwest of downtown Los Angeles. Authorities did not say where Bryant was going, but the helicopter appeared headed in the direction of his youth sports academy in nearby Thousand Oaks, which was holding a basketball tournament Sunday in which Bryant’s daughter, known as GiGi, was competing.

Bryant’s helicopter left Santa Ana in Orange County, south of Los Angeles, shortly after 9 a.m., heading north and then west. Air traffic controllers noted poor visibility around Burbank to the north and Van Nuys to the northwest. The aircraft crashed into the hillside around 9:45 a.m. at about 1,400 feet (426 meters), according to data from Flightradar24.

When it struck the ground, the helicopter was flying at about 160 knots (184 mph) and descending at a rate of more than 4,000 feet per minute, the data showed.

Federal safety investigators were sent to the scene. Among other things, they will look at the pilot’s history and the chopper’s maintenance records, said National Transportation Safety Board board member Jennifer Homendy.

Kurt Deetz, a pilot who used to fly Bryant in the chopper, said the crash was more likely caused by bad weather than by engine or other mechanical problems.

“The likelihood of a catastrophic twin engine failure on that aircraft — it just doesn’t happen,” he told the Los Angeles Times.

Justin Green, an aviation attorney in New York who flew helicopters in the Marine Corps, said pilots can become disoriented in low visibility, losing track of which direction is up. Green said a pilot flying an S-76 would be instrument-rated, meaning that person could fly the helicopter without relying on visual cues from outside.

Damn, that's even worse.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I want to see a Carter game winner today. After a legend passed away, another legend hitting a game winner against his former team in potentially his last game there would be amazing.

It would be quite the story.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I want to see a Carter game winner today. After a legend passed away, another legend hitting a game winner against his former team in potentially his last game there would be amazing.

It would be quite the story.

I don’t dream about an opposing player hitting a game winning shot against the team I cheer for, I don’t care who it is. Great chance to win 8 in a row here.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I don’t dream about an opposing player hitting a game winning shot against the team I cheer for, I don’t care who it is. Great chance to win 8 in a row here.
Obviously it's second to me, but if we can't win, then I don't mind it. Winning trumps all.
Finishing in 2nd place would be remarkable.

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008

Toronto Raptors

Restrictions/notes

I'd be up for Reddick. Would help our half-court offence with his shooting. If it's McCaw, Johnson and a pick.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Lol didn't realize the Hawks have another game in Toronto on April 10th. Nevermind then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad