Raptors Discussion: v89| Those are some big rings | Raptors out to defend their championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

So Kawhi is signing a 3 year deal with the Clips, but the 3rd year is a player option. A 2+1. So much for the "no interest in a short term deal". This whole thing really exposed how these supposed insiders don't know all that much.

After 2 years, he'll be eligible for the 10 year supermax. It also lines up with George's deal expiring, and when the Clips will have trouble re-stocking the team with their no draft picks. If things go south, he can bolt.

Summer of 2021 will be fun, and it looks like the Clipper got played. All those assets for 2 seasons of Kawhi + George in a stacked conference. Ruthless. Clippers better hope they go 2 for 2 with what they gave up.

There's a pretty big chance he leaves the Clippers for the Lakers in 2021, when Lebron decides to focus on his media empire. He's had the Lakers on his mind since 2017, and it looks like he's pretty determined to eventually be the guy there. Clips are another pit stop.

Last edited:

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

So Kawhi is signing a 3 year deal with the Clips, but the 3rd year is a player option. A 2+1. So much for the "no interest in a short term deal". This whole thing really exposed how these supposed insiders don't know all that much.

After 2 years, he'll be eligible for the 10 year supermax. It also lines up with George's deal expiring, and when the Clips will have trouble re-stocking the team with their no draft picks. If things go south, he can bolt.

Summer of 2021 will be fun, and it looks like the Clipper got played. All those assets for 2 seasons of Kawhi + George in a stacked conference. Ruthless. Clippers better hope they go 2 for 2 with what they gave up.

There's a pretty big chance he leaves the Clippers for the Lakers in 2021, when Lebron decides to focus on his media empire. He's had the Lakers on his mind since 2017, and it looks like he's pretty determined to eventually be the guy there. Clips are another pit stop.

Clearly he's positioning himself for a Giannis-Kawhi team up in Toronto! (One can only dream)

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Does anyone think that this is the Bucks conference to lose? No Kawhi, no Durant this season. If Giannis and the gang can't go all the way, then something is wrong.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Does anyone think that this is the Bucks conference to lose? No Kawhi, no Durant this season. If Giannis and the gang can't go all the way, then something is wrong.

Depends on the 76ers.

Embiid can be as dominant as Giannis, but will he put in the work?
Will Simmons develop a jumper?

I also like the Horford add.

I see it as a two-horse race right now.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
After making Summer League debut with Nuggets, Terence Davis...
LAS VEGAS — Following the Nuggets’ 84-79 win over the Orlando Magic on Sunday afternoon, Terence Davis and his agent, Adam Pensack, sat down to discuss Davis’ future. Davis had just put up 22 points in 26 minutes in a Summer League game against the Magic while Pensack spent the game talking with a half-dozen team officials about his undrafted player. Now it was time to go over the offers he had received.

“I told all of them if you let him play, meaning if you don’t do a deal with him before he plays, you’re potentially going to lose him. And that Sunday he played a game and boom, the deal was done.”

That deal is for two years with the Toronto Raptors, with a full guarantee in year one.

The contract was agreed to around 9 p.m. Sunday, and on Monday morning, Davis signed his contract in Las Vegas before flying to Toronto for his physical.

After losing Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green, the NBA champs lack depth at the wing position. But this also presented Davis with an attractive opportunity to get playing time.

The Raptors couldn’t comment on the deal, but Davis can be a contender for the backup shooting guard.

Making the NBA has been a lifelong goal for 22-year-old Davis, but it hasn’t been easy.

“I’ve been living this way all my life,” Davis said. “Overcoming adversity, being an underrated man, it’s nothing I haven’t overcome.”
Davis and Pensack turned down a number of two-way contract offers presented during the draft process, waiting for the right offer and not settling for less than what they thought Davis deserved.

The Nuggets invited him to minicamp and then to Las Vegas, and liked what they saw.

“I’ve said it since Day 1: he’s an NBA player,” Nuggets Summer League coach Jordi Fernandez said. “He proved it, and I think he’s going to keep doing it because this kid, mentally, he’s really tough.”

The Nuggets were in the mix as a possible destination for Davis, but ultimately, the offer, and roster spot, from the Raptors hit all the right notes.

Davis will have his first taste of playing for Toronto later this week; he returns to Las Vegas on Wednesday after his physical. It hasn’t been easy, but Davis knew it wouldn’t be. His father told him that long ago.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Former Toronto Raptor robbed on visit to Vancouver

No idea why he’s staying in an Airbnb and let alone not paying attention to where he’s staying lol

Maybe it’s just who he is, not materialistic etc. Maybe an actual normal athlete.

I'm not gonna say he brought it on himself, but damn, Danny. Maybe you should figure out that your place is next to the sketchiest neighborhood in western Canada before you book it.

So management have no plans on moving Lowry, Ibaka, and Gasol. Hm.

No reason to say they're gonna do it right now. Keep the fans engaged, keep the leverage, keep the players focused. Masai doesn't need to tip his hand before he's ready to actually do something.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

They were confident going into free agency and remained confident until late in the process. That confidence began to waver after they met with Leonard and his uncle Dennis Robertson in Toronto last Wednesday, sources told TSN. That’s when they first questioned the intentions of Leonard’s camp.

Was Leonard upfront with Ujiri and the Raptors throughout the process?

“I think he was,” Ujiri responded, before pausing. “Kawhi was.”

Was anybody not?

“I know what we’re dealing with here and I appreciate what the process was,” he responded. “I know free agency, I know how it works. It’s not my first rodeo. You know things are going to go up and down. This was a different kind of free agency. It was high stakes and we understood that.”

The natural assumption is that Ujiri was making reference to Uncle Dennis.

Robertson has a reputation for being hard to deal with and would have been hands on throughout the process. According to sources, Leonard and his camp – namely Uncle Dennis – asked for a lot from the Raptors in that meeting, things players don’t generally ask for in standard contract negotiations.

In some cases, they were asking for things that Ujiri – one of the most well-compensated executives in the league – wouldn’t have even had at his disposal. Their requests were “unreasonable”, a source said, which made the Raptors wonder whether Leonard was seriously considering them at all.

Leonard also asked the Raptors for Paul George, although a deal with Oklahoma City was never as close as some have reported and – despite those reports – Russell Westbrook was not included in the preliminary, and very brief, talks between the teams. In fact, those talks never even reached the team’s highest-ranking execs.

The Raptors believed Leonard had eyes for the Clippers all along and the Clippers had the assets and the incentive to do whatever they needed to do – and give up whatever they needed to give up – to pair him with George.

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
Not really. They lost Brogdan who huge for them and Mirotic who was serviceable.

It depends what happens with 76ers and Celtics.

Also I’m not sleeping on the Pacers once Dipo comes back.

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
I wonder if we could get DLO for OG + probably don’t have the assets to pick him up but would welcome him in a heart beat.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I wonder if we could get DLO for OG + probably don’t have the assets to pick him up but would welcome him in a heart beat.

Who are we talking about? The only dlo I know is d'angelo Russell, but he's headed to golden state.

Unless d-lo brown has a secret second career as a basketball player.

You better recognize. :sarcasm:

Reactions: al secord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->