Raptors Discussion: v89| Those are some big rings | Raptors out to defend their championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I don’t know. There is no room for Spicy P in the starting 5 if George comes to Raptors with Kawhi at 3. If all the Free agents, the one that made the most sense is Klay Thompson. If Masai can actually sign him, I think Kawhi would have stay, as the shooting guard spot is probably the spot where the Raptors can get a huge upgrade.

Thompson is set to miss most of next season with the injury he suffered in the finals. Signing him would essentially mirror the Durant situation. Which means you're asking Kawhi to basically accept a "dead" year relative to the apparently unattractive place they're at right now in his eyes before it actually pays off.

Also there's that whole pesky salary cap issue that meant the Raptors couldn't have gone out and gotten him with the salaries they already had on the books plus Kawhi's cap hold prior to inking a new deal.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Thompson is set to miss most of next season with the injury he suffered in the finals. Signing him would essentially mirror the Durant situation. Which means you're asking Kawhi to basically accept a "dead" year relative to the apparently unattractive place they're at right now in his eyes before it actually pays off.

Also there's that whole pesky salary cap issue that meant the Raptors couldn't have gone out and gotten him with the salaries they already had on the books plus Kawhi's cap hold prior to inking a new deal.

Point is the shooting guard spot is the one position where Raptors can massively improve the starting five.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
although uncle dennis sabotaged the possibility of any tangible negotiations with kawhi, imo he was never coming back and they just used us as leverage for the two LA teams

but i digress; oubre up's for 2yrs 30M with the suns:

Oubre agrees to 2-year deal with Suns

too bad, like that kid but that's a lot of coin we don't have

another fa in 2021 lol

that's gonna be a crazy year

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
although uncle dennis sabotaged the possibility of any tangible negotiations with kawhi, imo he was never coming back and they just used us as leverage for the two LA teams

but i digress; oubre up's for 2yrs 30M with the suns:

Oubre agrees to 2-year deal with Suns

too bad, like that kid but that's a lot of coin we don't have

another fa in 2021 lol

that's gonna be a crazy year

Anyone else expect the uncle Dennis relationship to turn sour in the future?

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
With things slowly trickling out about Kwahi, I am happy that Masai kept his stance and did what he did.

Kwahi was never going to sign here. Its unfortunate I like him as a player and person. But what I don't like is the baggage that he surrounds himself with. For this I am happy he didn't resign.

The loser in all of this Kwahi mess in the end are the Clippers. You basically gave up 5 first round picks and a great young player for 2 guaranteed years of George and Kwahi. I am glad the Raps didn't fulfill the requirements of OKC and nothing got done.

I would rather have Siakam and 5 first rounders, along with tons of cap space in the 20/21 off season. It may not be a championship year this season, but we will be competitive and as long as there is growth in the young players that is all I want. If OG can come out this season and be the Siakam of last season, we are golden.

Reactions: Plat87

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
With things slowly trickling out about Kwahi, I am happy that Masai kept his stance and did what he did.

Kwahi was never going to sign here. Its unfortunate I like him as a player and person. But what I don't like is the baggage that he surrounds himself with. For this I am happy he didn't resign.

The loser in all of this Kwahi mess in the end are the Clippers. You basically gave up 5 first round picks and a great young player for 2 guaranteed years of George and Kwahi. I am glad the Raps didn't fulfill the requirements of OKC and nothing got done.

I would rather have Siakam and 5 first rounders, along with tons of cap space in the 20/21 off season. It may not be a championship year this season, but we will be competitive and as long as there is growth in the young players that is all I want. If OG can come out this season and be the Siakam of last season, we are golden.

It's great for us, we are the CHAMPS! Let's be honest though, Masai took a huge leap of faith/gamble.

Reactions: Plat87

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
2021/22 offseason is shaping up as one that can potentially change the whole landscape of the NBA. Here is a list of players that can be possibly available to all teams including the Raptors that in that off season will only have 13 million on the books minus a Siakam extension which is inevitable. If the cap is around 125 million you are potentially looking at around 110 million in cap space prior to getting into the tax. That is at minimum 2 max players that they can sign prior to going over the cap and paying tax. Obviously there are some players that the Raps will sign next off season. Players like FVV and OG will also be resigned along with who ever they draft the next off season, Here are the players possibly available, how would you like to see things transpire for fun:

UFAs

upload_2019-7-11_10-19-40.png

Player options (Possible UFA)

upload_2019-7-11_10-21-2.png

Build your roster this coming off season and next....have fun

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Because in two years he can get the super max deal. THats why people thought we had a shot for a two year deal with him. He’ll stay with the clippers but he’s going to cost them a ton of money

He could very well stay there, but there's no guarantees. The Clippers took a massive gamble based on the assets they gave up.

They have to win at least one title in the next 2 years to make the trade palatable.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
He could very well stay there, but there's no guarantees. The Clippers took a massive gamble based on the assets they gave up.

They have to win at least one title in the next 2 years to make the trade palatable.

And be able to sign Kwahi to 35% of the cap which is what he will be looking for in this deal and still retain George!!!!

Not going to happen. Lebron is probably done in 2 years. Lakers will come knocking to pair someone with Davis. This is when the Lakers become players for Kwahi services.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Agreed. The difference between Masai’s gamble and the clippers gamble is fairly large. One move changed a roster that otherwise would have been blown up anyway, and the other completely mortgaged the future of a franchise.

Their window is slightly larger (two years vs one), but is also steeped in injury risk.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
And be able to sign Kwahi to 35% of the cap which is what he will be looking for in this deal and still retain George!!!!

Not going to happen. Lebron is probably done in 2 years. Lakers will come knocking to pair someone with Davis. This is when the Lakers become players for Kwahi services.

Hard to imagine Kawhi going from the Clippers to the Lakers. I mean I guess he could do it sure but yikes, that would be kind of like the Leafs best player jumping to MTL!

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Agreed. The difference between Masai’s gamble and the clippers gamble is fairly large. One move changed a roster that otherwise would have been blown up anyway, and the other completely mortgaged the future of a franchise.

Their window is slightly larger (two years vs one), but is also steeped in injury risk.

just shows everyone how badly the clips needed to stay relevant in la la land

even if they only have two years to prove they are championship worthy, that's still two years and had they lost kawhi to play with lebron, they would be irrelevant forever

so yeah, they mortgaged the future, but desperate times call for desperate measures, and ballmer has both the money and cahones to push his chips all in

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
Hard to imagine Kawhi going from the Clippers to the Lakers. I mean I guess he could do it sure but yikes, that would be kind of like the Leafs best player jumping to MTL!

I would say more like MTLs best player going to Toronto. The Lakers are top dog in LA and have been for years. Clippers have always been the "other team". Although with Kawhi and George this could get interesting.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I would say more like MTLs best player going to Toronto. The Lakers are top dog in LA and have been for years. Clippers have always been the "other team". Although with Kawhi and George this could get interesting.

It's far from clear who's the top dog between TOR/MTL. It's probably pretty close so not quite like the LA situation in that sense but similar in terms of regional rivalry.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Hoping the more hard core basketball fans can answer a question I have about what has happening. What is so special about playing with Paul George?

Just for a second, set aside geography (going home, blah, blah, blah) and just consider the two rosters.

Kawhi on the Raptors with the current roster and probably a couple of veteran additions, which they probably would have made if Kawhi returned.

vs.

Kawhi and Paul George together on the current Clippers.

From what I have hear and read, it wasn't even an option for Kawhi to come back to the Raptors as currently constructed. It was: "Get Paul George and maybe I will re-sign."

I'm trying to understand, strictly from a basketball/competitive situation why paying with George is so special.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Hoping the more hard core basketball fans can answer a question I have about what has happening. What is so special about playing with Paul George?

Just for a second, set aside geography (going home, blah, blah, blah) and just consider the two rosters.

Kawhi on the Raptors with the current roster and probably a couple of veteran additions, which they probably would have made if Kawhi returned.

vs.

From what I have hear and read, it wasn't even an option for Kawhi to come back to the Raptors as currently constructed. It was: "Get Paul George and maybe I will re-sign."

I'm trying to understand, strictly from a basketball/competitive situation why paying with George is so special.

He is good friends with Paul George and when healthy George can be a top 10 player in the league. Elite defensively with a great offensive game, they will be fun to watch together.

But it is extremely important to remember this decision wasnt made in strict basketball terms. It had everything to do with going back home to LA for Kawhi. The proof is in the pudding as he only took meetings with the 2 LA teams and Toronto (his current team). If Kawhi was born and raised somewhere else he is likely taking meetings with that city's team and/or simply staying in Toronto.

It had everything to do with with LA and less to do with George because if reports are true he only told the Clippers "get George and im yours" - if it were about George then he would have told the Raptors and Lakers the same. Difference is there is sense a that he did not want to play second fiddle to Lebron.

So he got what he wanted;

1. LA (for him and his family)
2. Paul George/2nd Star
3. Top dog for his team

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

vs.

Paul George is one of the best wings in the game (top 6), is one of the best defenders in the league, can effectively guard multiple positions, and last year, put up scorching offensive numbers. He's a superstar.

The Raptors had a great team, but they didn't have a 2nd option like him, and in today's NBA, stars want to be beside another star. Siakam may get there this year, but that's still an unknown.

Beyond the basketball side of things, they're both from LA and good friends, so no surprise they'd want to team up.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

vs.

Paul George is another elite 2 way player. Guy can shoot around .400 from 3 which is crazy good and score anyway he chooses to pretty much. Him and Kawhi are kind of alike imo and I think Kawhi can take George to the next level like Kawhi did with a lot of players on our team. Teams gonna be scary.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

vs.

In regards to Kawhi and his decision, you really can't view it in a vacuum like that (i.e. if the Raptors had gotten PG, he stays). I frankly think that's a fallacy. Its become abundantly clear that Kawhi wanted to be in LA. Leveraging the Raptors as a viable option was effective in forcing the Clippers hand to make the PG move. Remember, he originally reached out to KD, then to Jimmy, and then settled on PG (who was under contract).

As far as PG goes, he's perhaps the closest player in terms of similarity to Kawhi in the league (go to scorer, lock down defender, two-way monster). Others have mentioned his prowess as a two-way player, and they are correct. He had his best offensive year this past season, which makes sense as he's in his prime. Quite clearly a top-5 player at the deepest position in the league (Giannis, Kawhi, Lebron, PG, KD).

Circling back, I don't really see a fit with them playing together on the offensive end. Same goes for the personnel around them. A closing lineup of PatBev, LouWill, Kawhi, PG and Montrezl seems more confusing than anything. Defensively of course, they'll be ridiculous if they're both healthy. As the situation goes, I don't personally think the motley crew they've assembled is a better winning situation in 19/20 than the reigning champion Raptors in the weaker Eastern Conference. More high end talent, yes, better #2, yes, better situation, no.

Further, just an FYI on PG. Finished the year unable to shoot or defend at his usual level due to a frayed labrum in his left shoulder and a torn tendon in his right shoulder. Double shoulder surgery this offseason. Might miss the start of the year. Kind of funny that they may ask him to play the 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->