Raptors Discussion: v89| Those are some big rings | Raptors out to defend their championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Lowry is well on his way to being a hall of famer. His advanced stats are indeed fantastic and his team impact will only be appreciated more as time goes on.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
What, those guys are already guaranteed hall of famers... we’re also talking about a hall of fame that has the likes of Mo Cheeks, Calvin Murphy, and Earl Monroe. Lowry’s level is far higher than you think especially if you dig into his advanced/peripheral stats.
If you are not a guaranteed hall of famer are you really one then? It took Cheeks 25 years to get in. A lot of people got in before him. The same will be said for Lowry if he even makes it that far. I don't think Daniel Alfredsson is a hall of famer even though he was the greatest player in Sens history. He will eventually get in but after many more before him do.

Last edited:

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
If you are not a guaranteed hall of famer are you really one then? It took Cheeks 25 years to get in. A lot of people got in before him. The same will be said for Lowry if he even makes it that far. I don't think Daniel Alfredsson is a hall of famer even though he was the greatest player in Sens history. He will eventually get in but after many more before him do.

Yes, especially since he went from being a rotational player to a top 5 point guard of his era.

Player Season Finder | Basketball-Reference.com

Among g-f's he's currently 21st in VORP. If I really wanted to I could've cut that off to guards exclusively (because he never plays forward) but it removes guys like Jordan, Magic, Drexler, Kobe, and the likes due to their positional flexibility. Nevertheless Lowry is pretty elite for his position over the entirety of his career and he has an outside shot of entering that top 15 (top 10 for pgs) territory. He's not first ballot, because that's pretty much entirely based off name recognition, but his ability is hall of fame worthy based off where he stands amongst his peers.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

But three players, three players with varying ties to the organization won’t be receiving rings.

Delon Wright, Jonas Valanciunas, and CJ Miles, the three players involved in the Marc Gasol deal at the trade deadline in February will not be getting rings the Sun learned.

Wright was asked pre-game on Saturday about it. He said he had not heard one way or the other but the very fact that he had not been asked for his ring size suggested to him that one would not be coming.

Wright, whose Mavs are in Toronto on Dec. 22nd said he would wait and see but he would be fine with the decision either way. He understood.

Jonas Valanciunas was asked the same thing earlier this summer in China at the FIBA World Cup. Valanciunas said former teammate Kyle Lowry had already contacted him and asked for his ring size. He took that as an indication one would be coming.

CJ Miles, now in Washington, could not be reached for comment.

Raptors GM Bobby Webster confirmed post-game Saturday that all three would not be getting rings.

“Its not an easy decision,” Webster began, “but, to be honest I think it’s standard. I mean we did our homework, we talked to teams and I think – I don’t remember – there was maybe one scenario where a team offered one. I think it was Anderson Varejao in Golden State but I think it was a really unique circumstance.”

It was clearly an uncomfortable discussion for Webster to be having.

“It’s obviously not a feel-good thing but I think that’s the way the league is,” he said.

Management with some input from the players made the decision on who was entitled to a ring.

Last edited:

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
:laugh: presenting your own opinion as everyone’s is always amusing.

Right or wrong, we won’t know the answer for years. You’re talking about perceived reality? :laugh:

I’m sorry I hurt your feelings a year ago. Please don’t quote me anymore.

Only one of us is overreacting lmao

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Yes, especially since he went from being a rotational player to a top 5 point guard of his era.

Player Season Finder | Basketball-Reference.com

Among g-f's he's currently 21st in VORP. If I really wanted to I could've cut that off to guards exclusively (because he never plays forward) but it removes guys like Jordan, Magic, Drexler, Kobe, and the likes due to their positional flexibility. Nevertheless Lowry is pretty elite for his position over the entirety of his career and he has an outside shot of entering that top 15 (top 10 for pgs) territory. He's not first ballot, because that's pretty much entirely based off name recognition, but his ability is hall of fame worthy based off where he stands amongst his peers.
Positional flexibility? The players you named where shooting guards with the exception of magic who was a point guard. The VORP stat is a terrible method to judge a players importance. Plain and simple Lowry was on one of the best teams in the league for a few seasons and was selected an allstar for 5 of them but only was selected to the all NBA team once and that was to the 3rd team in 15-16. Lowry was an allstar in his prime but wasn't one of the best throughout his career.

I guess we will see in 20 years.

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
We do live in the age where everyone gets a trophy. :facepalm:

Note: the headline says three former Raptors are not getting championship rings.

The Blue Jays gave Darrin Jackson a ring for the 1993 world series even though he was dealt in June, before the team won the championship Oct 23rd. Jackson played a total of 46 games with the team.

Last edited:

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Note: the headline says three former Raptors are not getting championship rings.

The Blue Jays gave Darrin Jackson a ring for the 1993 world series even though he was dealt in June, before the team won the championship Oct 23rd. Jackson played a total of 46 games with the team.

Nav Bhatia and Drake got official championship rings. Nav and Drake played a total (let me get my calculator...) 0 games for the Raptors (although Drake stepped onto the floor once or twice).

The CEOs of Bell and Rogers got championship rings.

Jordan Loyd got a ring after playing 55 minutes for the Raptors for his entire career, and being ineligible for the playoffs.

What a joke.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
I couldn't believe there was even any discussion about giving rings to guys who weren't on the team in the playoffs. I'd be embarrassed to get a ring after being traded away mid season.

I'm fine with Drake and Nav getting rings - Drake's part of the organization, just like the trainers and coaches. Nav.... Of course Nav gets a ring, he's NAV!!!

The owners? Of course they get rings, they always do and the league wouldn't exist without them.

I have no idea why Jays gave Darrin Jackson a ring. I watched those back-to-back World Series and have no recollection of the guy.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Baseball historically gives anyone who was part of the roster during the season a ring. Josh Towers has a ring from the Yankees for throwing 5 innings for them in 2009.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Baseball historically gives anyone who was part of the roster during the season a ring. Josh Towers has a ring from the Yankees for throwing 5 innings for them in 2009.

I was going to post the same thing. Some guys have played in World Series (I think Arthur Rhodes is a current example) who was a guaranteed a ring regardless because he played for the opponent earlier in the season.

I get why a guy like JV would perhaps be entitled to a ring. But unless you're there celebrating when the final buzzer sounds, I don't think you should get a ring. As an athlete I would feel awkward having a championship ring when I didn't even win it. If your Wikipedia page doesn't say NBA Champion (19XX / 20XX), or the NBA itself doesn't recognize you as a champion, then no.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Regarding the rings;

Am I the only one that would be pissed off if I did receive one after being traded like JV? (Edit: Missed above post somehow, we have the same thoughts on the subject!

"Hey, heres a ring you didnt earn. Thanks for getting us marc Gasol!".

I think the raps made the right call. Drake/Nav got them for reasons besides playing time and dont hold an impact on whether JV should or not IMO. You van disagree with them getting rings, but those werent players, just like lots of people in the raptors industry got rings that werent directly a part of the team.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Er, the owners always get rings...

The CEOs of Bell and Rogers do not own the Toronto Raptors. They are chosen by the board of directors to manage the company. The board of directors is beholden to the shareholders of Bell and Rogers. Said shareholders "own" Bell and Rogers, not the CEOs.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Nav Bhatia and Drake got official championship rings. Nav and Drake played a total (let me get my calculator...) 0 games for the Raptors (although Drake stepped onto the floor once or twice).

The CEOs of Bell and Rogers got championship rings.

Jordan Loyd got a ring after playing 55 minutes for the Raptors for his entire career, and being ineligible for the playoffs.

What a joke.

Why do people keep repeating this bs?

Drake BOUGHT a ring. The team didn’t hand him one.

Reactions: ronzigato

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Why do people keep repeating this bs?

Drake BOUGHT a ring. The team didn’t hand him one.
He had his own made and the team gave him one.

Drake flashes Raptors championship ring alongside his own custom-made US$150,000 bling

75305205_145978683346327_3239728784518831346_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad