Raptors Discussion: v89| Those are some big rings | Raptors out to defend their championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Such a fun team to watch. They play so hard on D

Davis looks really good. Will be another steal.

I am not sure we will have enough offense to beat the top teams in the playoffs but we will put up a fight for sure.

Who knows? Who thought that they would be 3-1 on this road trip missing all these guys? Clinched a winning road trip also, by the way, with the win last night. Anything is possible with this team right now. I can't count them out.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Siakam, MIP to MIP.

Won't happen obviously, but seriously though; the guy went from a good bench player to arguably the best #2 in the league, to a top-10 player. Sure, he's not winning MVP this season with Giannis being even better than last year, but I don't see how anyone is even close to this type of improvement.... again.

source.gif

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
I always used to be so jealous and envious of teams that would get star players later in the draft. It's unreal now to think we got a legitimate superstar at 27. Not to mention, an undrafted gem like FVV and hopefully, TD. It's crazy how far this team has come. The Raptors are a model franchise and now they are the ones that other organizations are envious of and try to emulate.

Feels good, man.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Whose's the most Gary Roberts type of player in the league they can go out and get?

I was hoping we'd trade for Domi, but that ship has sailed. The closest right now imo would be Matthew Tkachuk - I'd ship Marner's ass for him in a split second, but Calgary would never do it.

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
Whose's the most Gary Roberts type of player in the league they can go out and get?

the problem is look at the Leafs top 6, all skilled, no defensive attributes. They're soft. Mix that with Babs shoddy system and poor D -- well, they struggle.

look at Bruins... Toughness everywhere ex: (Marchand). Guys can play dirty, shoot and score all areas.

imo: Hyman is also crucial... He is an engine/ can forecheck.

Pascal
FVV
OG
ibaka

(Btw impressed with Boucher/Davis)

vs

Matthews
Marner
Nyles
AJ
JT

Spot the difference? Raps have better two way players who can score and play d. Leafs don't... And their D core is average.

You know it's a wake up call when Ovechkin sees your glaring holes.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
What ya'll think Fred Vanvleet will get when he becomes a UFA?
Max he’s eligible for, and I hope he gets it in Toronto.

Cut from the same cloth as Kyle Lowry with more talent. He’s a keeper.

Never excited to watch the opponents but really looking forward to Doncic-Porzingod. Mavs are a team I don’t see much of.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Max he’s eligible for, and I hope he gets it in Toronto.

Cut from the same cloth as Kyle Lowry with more talent. He’s a keeper.

Never excited to watch the opponents but really looking forward to Doncic-Porzingod. Mavs are a team I don’t see much of.

I like VanVleet, but let's not go nuts. He's not more talented than Lowry. He's not even necessarily better than Lowry was at the same age/career span. And peak Kyle was league-wide elite, top 3-5 PGs in the NBA good. VanVleet is a good starter and a strong team leader, but he's not at that level. And he lacks Lowry's playmaking and rebounding ability.

Sometimes I feel like people forget just how good peak Lowry was because those Raptors teams underperformed in the playoffs.

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018
Yeah, I dont think FVV is more talented than prime Lowry. Prime Lowry was a 18-22 ppg 7 apg that shot 40 percent from 3 and was a hound defensively which he still is a pitbull on the defensive end.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I like VanVleet, but let's not go nuts. He's not more talented than Lowry. He's not even necessarily better than Lowry was at the same age/career span. And peak Kyle was league-wide elite, top 3-5 PGs in the NBA good. VanVleet is a good starter and a strong team leader, but he's not at that level. And he lacks Lowry's playmaking and rebounding ability.

Sometimes I feel like people forget just how good peak Lowry was because those Raptors teams underperformed in the playoffs.
I wasn’t saying FVV was better. I think he’s more skilled/talented and might have a higher ceiling.

The ‘cut from the same cloth’ was more towards the mental/physical toughness/motor from the undersized guard.

...and he’s an NBA champion. :D

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Fred’s rise is outstanding but he’s not more skilled/talented than Lowry. Lowry’s pedigree is a 5 star recruit from HS that butted heads with coaches and management throughout his career until Masai gave him an intervention and put him on the HOF path.

Last edited:

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, I dont think FVV is more talented than prime Lowry. Prime Lowry was a 18-22 ppg 7 apg that shot 40 percent from 3 and was a hound defensively which he still is a pitbull on the defensive end.
I think effective would be a better word. Talent doesn’t equal success. I wasn’t suggesting FVV was better but I think he’s got more in his bag, especially as a scorer.

Lowry knows how to play the game as good as anyone. I’m not trying to sell him short.

Side note - 17.1 ppg/7.6 ast/4.6 reb - 40 3pt%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad