Raptors Discussion: v87 | It wasn't a dream! It actually happened! 2019 NBA CHAMPION Toronto Raptors!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Life would be so simple if Masai and Kawhi just stay. They have it really good right now, and there's a window of opportunity here for another couple of years with the current cast to contend for more championships.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
@The Nemesis

I'd say having 3 players confirm it happened to a journalist is pretty convincing evidence, then the other players on the team having their teammates say they heard it from there teammates. It is very far reaching to say that its comparable to JFK or the Moon Landing conspiracy. It most likely happened. Why would players confirm it and lie about it? What incentive do they have? Generally, when a lie gets out there is significant gain to be had, why would these 3 players lie about it, why would they lie to Ray Allen about it? That's pretty convincing to me. Its not enough for a court of law, but telling another team a play isn't a criminal offense.

@LaPlante94

I was fine with Garbajosa wearing it, and I'd be fine with someone else wearing it.

@Ignatius Reilly

Kawhi's in the discussion if he stays. Lowry is a lock (barring something crazy happening).

DeRozan is a weird one, and it might be dependent on whether he ever re-builds a relationship with the team after he retires.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
@The Nemesis

I'd say having 3 players confirm it happened to a journalist is pretty convincing evidence, then the other players on the team having their teammates say they heard it from there teammates. It is very far reaching to say that its comparable to JFK or the Moon Landing conspiracy. It most likely happened. Why would players confirm it and lie about it? What incentive do they have? Generally, when a lie gets out there is significant gain to be had, why would these 3 players lie about it, why would they lie to Ray Allen about it? That's pretty convincing to me. Its not enough for a court of law, but telling another team a play isn't a criminal offense.

@LaPlante94

I was fine with Garbajosa wearing it, and I'd be fine with someone else wearing it.

@Ignatius Reilly

Kawhi's in the discussion if he stays. Lowry is a lock (barring something crazy happening).

DeRozan is a weird one, and it might be dependent on whether he ever re-builds a relationship with the team after he retires.

Who said they're outright lying? Who's to say 1 or 2 of them misheard something and repeated it to another and those became your apparent central 3 reports? Who's to say Vince wasn't doing a "try and stop me" type move or trying to psych them out. Big time players have pulled that stunt before (Bird and Jordan were notorious for telling you exactly what they would do sometimes and daring you to prevent it when they knew you couldn't) Why do you keep bringing up "Why would Ray Allen lie?" When all Allen was doing was repeating second hand information. Someone said to him "this happened" and he said to the reporter "someone said to me that this happened" None of that's a lie, but just because it's true from his perspective doesn't make the information factually accurate.

There's simply far too much wiggle room in all of this to draw any sort of conclusion. and given that, I'm not willing to crucify a guy on the basis of conjecture, hearsay, anonymous banter, second hand reports.

Reactions: Its not your fault

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Life would be so simple if Masai and Kawhi just stay. They have it really good right now, and there's a window of opportunity here for another couple of years with the current cast to contend for more championships.

Masai isn't going anywhere. I don't think it matters what happens with Kawhi. He's bought himself job security for the foreseeable future in Toronto and the Raptors are a much more attractive operation for him than doing something insane like going off to try and make something out of the twisted shrapnel of the Wizards' org.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Who said they're outright lying? Who's to say 1 or 2 of them misheard something and repeated it to another and those became your apparent central 3 reports? Who's to say Vince wasn't doing a "try and stop me" type move or trying to psych them out. Big time players have pulled that stunt before (Bird and Jordan were notorious for telling you exactly what they would do sometimes and daring you to prevent it when they knew you couldn't) Why do you keep bringing up "Why would Ray Allen lie?" When all Allen was doing was repeating second hand information. Someone said to him "this happened" and he said to the reporter "someone said to me that this happened" None of that's a lie, but just because it's true from his perspective doesn't make the information factually accurate.

There's simply far too much wiggle room in all of this to draw any sort of conclusion. and given that, I'm not willing to crucify a guy on the basis of conjecture, hearsay, anonymous banter, second hand reports.
Considering everything else he did, it fits with what he did and was doing at the time. I'm not crucifying him, what I am saying is, his number shouldn't be in the rafters, and I don't really think he's a fit for the team today if his name wasn't Vince Carter. I'm sure we can find better 3 and D options who don't have that baggage and aren't over 40 years old with the mid-level exemption.

Why would the other Supersonic's lie to Ray Allen. Jordan and Bird where great competitors and trash talkers. Vince was in the middle of his "I quit tour" because we didn't hire Dr. J or trade Bosh for veteran help/

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Considering everything else he did, it fits with what he did and was doing at the time. I'm not crucifying him, what I am saying is, his number shouldn't be in the rafters, and I don't really think he's a fit for the team today if his name wasn't Vince Carter. I'm sure we can find better 3 and D options who don't have that baggage and aren't over 40 years old with the mid-level exemption.

Why would the other Supersonic's lie to Ray Allen. Jordan and Bird where great competitors and trash talkers. Vince was in the middle of his "I quit tour" because we didn't hire Dr. J or trade Bosh for veteran help/

Again you keep coming back to "Why would they lie" when it's entirely conceivable that there are ways for this to happen that doesn't require deliberate falsehoods. Misunderstandings, miscommunication, additional secondhand information, misread intentions. All your claims to the truthfulness of this event rest on supposition or assumptions. That the only way it's wrong is if someone is lying. That nobody would lie without what you deem a valid reason. That it has to go this way because it fits with your preconceptions about Vince.

Your insistence on the veracity of this whole situation seems to be based largely on the fact that you already don't like him. Because of that it's like you see all of it in a way that leans towards supporting that notion.

I used to detest him for what happened. I was fine with booing him, branding him a traitor/quitter, not forgiving him. But over time I've come to realize that it's stupid to hang onto that grudge for petty reasons when the actual principles involved in it (Vince himself, the team/organization/most of the immediate fans) are willing and wanting to move on. So while a few years ago I might've held onto this belief that he obviously did tip off hte Sonics, now I'm looking at it and seeing a whole lot of talk and not much of anything that actually proves it.

and there aren't a lot of better options out there that are attractive to the Raptors and fit in their financial situation. In fact part of the appeal for Vince is that he wouldn't likely require the MLE. He could be had on a veterans' minimum contract and save the MLE for getting a bigger piece (like a rebounding forward)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Again you keep coming back to "Why would they lie" when it's entirely conceivable that there are ways for this to happen that doesn't require deliberate falsehoods. Misunderstandings, miscommunication, additional secondhand information, misread intentions. All your claims to the truthfulness of this event rest on supposition or assumptions. That the only way it's wrong is if someone is lying. That nobody would lie without what you deem a valid reason. That it has to go this way because it fits with your preconceptions about Vince.

Your insistence on the veracity of this whole situation seems to be based largely on the fact that you already don't like him. Because of that it's like you see all of it in a way that leans towards supporting that notion.

I used to detest him for what happened. I was fine with booing him, branding him a traitor/quitter, not forgiving him. But over time I've come to realize that it's stupid to hang onto that grudge for petty reasons when the actual principles involved in it (Vince himself, the team/organization/most of the immediate fans) are willing and wanting to move on. So while a few years ago I might've held onto this belief that he obviously did tip off hte Sonics, now I'm looking at it and seeing a whole lot of talk and not much of anything that actually proves it.

and there aren't a lot of better options out there that are attractive to the Raptors and fit in their financial situation. In fact part of the appeal for Vince is that he wouldn't likely require the MLE. He could be had on a veterans' minimum contract and save the MLE for getting a bigger piece (like a rebounding forward)
Well, it requires someone making up the statement on the Sonics and saying Vince told them it was a flare play, if he didn't say it to them. Maybe he tried to pull a Larry Bird/Jordan, but you can't act like his actions at the time seem like that. Dude stopped driving to the rim, and then decided he'd start doing it in New Jersey (just look at the FTA numbers).

I don't detest him anymore, but I don't think he should ever have his name in the rafters. I think that is a very rarified space and should be very limited on who gets up there. What Vince did tarnishes his eligibility for that in mine and many other fans eyes. I think how he orchestrated his move out of here was among the least professional things I've seen an athlete do in regards to their play on the court. The reason most of it has been brushed to the way-side was similar to what happened in Vancouver with Pavel Bure. A team with limited history wanted to honor an exciting player who left on very bad terms. The Raps no longer have that problem. We have cemented a legitimate history post-Vince. We have a title, we have a heart and soul leader who made his name worthy of being up there with the Leafs greats (Lowry).

Last edited:
Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
@The Nemesis

@LaPlante94

@Ignatius Reilly

Retiring his jersey would certainly rebuild that relationship, no?

As for the other points - I'd completely forgotten that Garbajosa wore 15. I guess that's how much it bothered me....

And I'm with you, with no reason to lie and multiple sources.... I'd say "the glove fits".

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Retiring his jersey would certainly rebuild that relationship, no?

As for the other points - I'd completely forgotten that Garbajosa wore 15. I guess that's how much it bothered me....

And I'm with you, with no reason to lie and multiple sources.... I'd say "the glove fits".
Who knows. Seems the issue is with Masai, and hopefully he doesn't leave anytime soon. I assume at somepoint it will all be put in the past, but Derozan seems to have taken this pretty hard.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
All Raptors Team.
C Chris Bosh
PF Antonio Davis
SF Kaiwi Leonard
SG Vince Carter
PG Kyle Lowry
6th Demar DeRozan
Role: Morris Peterson
Role: Pascal Siakam
Role: Damon Stoudamire
Bench J Valvanciunas
Bench Doug Christie
Bench Serge Ibaka
13th Charles Oakley
14th José Calderón
15th Andrea Bargnani
Edit forgot McGrady in for Christie bumps Bargnani
905 team.... Lol
Fred VanVleet

Last edited:
Reactions: razor ray

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
All Raptors Team.
C Chris Bosh
PF Antonio Davis
SF Kaiwi Leonard
SG Vince Carter
PG Kyle Lowry
6th Demar DeRozan
Bench J Valvanciunas
Bench Doug Christie
Bench Serge Ibaka
13th Charles Oakley
14th José Calderón
15th Andrea Bargnani

Nice list but give me NBA Champion Pascal Siakam in the starting lineup over Antonio Davis who I probably wouldn't even take over Marc Gasol...

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Nice list but give me NBA Champion Pascal Siakam in the starting lineup over Antonio Davis who I probably wouldn't even take over Marc Gasol...
Each there own. It was hard to leave Damar DeRozen off. Also if I wanted big I would put Bosh as PF and That would change the depth.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This is from IG but reports are that Kawhi's daughter has been enrolled in a school near Niagara today.... My heart, it can't take it.
Isn't his daughter like 3? Also, that seems like a hell of a commute. Even if you are living in the wealthy lake-front area of Oakville that's really far.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
All Raptors Team.
C Chris Bosh
PF Antonio Davis
SF Kaiwi Leonard
SG Vince Carter
PG Kyle Lowry
6th Demar DeRozan
Bench J Valvanciunas
Bench Doug Christie
Bench Serge Ibaka
13th Charles Oakley
14th José Calderón
15th Andrea Bargnani

905 team.... Lol
Fred VanVleet
Davis would be at center, and Bosh at the 4. Davis would get killed in the current NBA due to his lack of ability to space the floor from the PF position. Agree with others, for a current team, I'd put Siakam in at the 4.

I'd also put McGrady in there. His last year with us he was better than quite a few people on there at their peaks.

Last edited:

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Davis would be at center, and Bosh at the 4. Davis would get killed in the current due to his lack of ability to space the floor from the PF position. Agree with others, for a current team, I'd put Siakam in at the 4.

I'd also put McGrady in there. His last year with us he was better than quite a few people on there list at their peaks.
I forgot about McGrady Jeez there's always one more.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Davis would be at center, and Bosh at the 4. Davis would get killed in the current NBA due to his lack of ability to space the floor from the PF position. Agree with others, for a current team, I'd put Siakam in at the 4.

I'd also put McGrady in there. His last year with us he was better than quite a few people on there at their peaks.
Siakam over Davis would probably win way more games. In today's NBA. I'm probably wrong to have picked Davis I just think he did alot of good when he was with us. Siakam will be scoring option number 2 with DeRozen on the floor. Just think he's more valuable as a scoring option then rebounder.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Wizards won’t hire new team president before NBA free agency opens, Ted Leonsis says - The Washington Post
Leonsis directly addressed the multiple published reports that he was planning to offer Ujiri a package that included an annual salary of nearly $10 million as well as an ownership stake in Monumental Sports and Entertainment, the company that operates the Wizards, Capitals and Mystics as well as a pair of esports teams and several other sports and business properties.

“We have not commented on the many rumors surrounding potential candidates during this process, but I wanted to make an exception in this case out of respect to the Raptors organization as they celebrate their well-deserved championship,” Leonsis said in the statement. “Any reports that we have interest in Masai Ujiri as a candidate are simply not true, and we have never planned in any way to ask for permission to speak to him during our process.”

Following his decision to fire longtime executive Ernie Grunfeld on April 2, Leonsis announced that he would take three weeks to meet with employees to examine the team’s basketball operations. Then, before the end of April, Leonsis and consultant Mike Forde began interviews with Sheppard, Danny Ferry, Gersson Rosas and Troy Weaver. Following those interviews, Rosas was hired to run the Minnesota Timberwolves, and Sheppard, Brooks and members of the front office represented the Wizards at the draft combine in Chicago in early May.

On May 17, Denver Nuggets executive Tim Connelly, a Baltimore native who got his professional start with the Wizards, visited Leonsis at his home in Potomac. Two days later, the Wizards officially extended a contract offer to make Connelly the next team president, according to several people familiar with the timeline, but Connelly decided to stay in Denver.

Since then, the Wizards have continued with business as usual. Sheppard, who has traveled across the country as well as to Spain to scout prospects, has acted as the decision-maker during the pre-draft process. The Wizards have the ninth pick Thursday night.

Last edited:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

“It’s an unprovoked significant hit to the jaw of the law enforcement officer,” said Mastagni.

The deputy told investigators he was trying to stop the Raptors president because he did not know who he was and he was not wearing proper credentials.

The deputy says he hasn’t been able to return to work due to the injuries he suffered last week.

“He has a serious concussion; a templar mandibular joint injury, which is a serious jaw injury,” said Mastagni.

In the days since the incident, Mastagni says his client, who is a 20 year veteran with the sheriff’s department, has been painted as a racist.

“This is an issue of credentials or no credentials, not race,” argued Mastagni.

KPIX 5 also learned exclusively Monday night that Alameda County Sheriff Greg Ahern personally reviewed the footage from the body camera of the deputy involved and the security cameras inside Oracle Arena.

The Sheriff said he completely supports the deputy and is recommending the case move forward to the district attorney for criminal charges of misdemeanor battery of a police officer against Ujiri.

The Raptors say they are “cooperating with authorities” and “look forward to resolving the situation.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad