Raptors Discussion: v86: Raptors Discussion: NBA CHAMPIONS BABY!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It is laughable to say Curry is as good as Lebron, given Lebrons track record. If you want to say Lebron is going to fall off, then okay. He hasn't yet and Curry isn't better. When that happens, okay but everything points to Lebron being better, it is what it is.

What? I gave rebuttal to you discussing their VORP.

Re. the bolded - if you look at their entire career then sure. However, looking at VORP for the last 5 years we see two players who are very comparable in value.

Once again, we're talking about what might happen next season so what happened more than 5 years ago hardly seems relevant.

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
Re. the bolded - if you look at their entire career then sure. However, looking at VORP for the last 5 years we see two players who are very comparable in value.

Once again, we're talking about what might happen next season so what happened more than 5 years ago hardly seems relevant.

He put up the all time highest playoff VORP ever in 2018....

His 2017 and 2016 are also way ahead.... lol

You are talking about the regular season like it holds weight in comparison to the playoffs.

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
I guess you're right, why should I expect raptors talk in a raptors thread after winning a title when two posters can argue about who's right in a hypothetical situation.

Go Raps.

Board man get parade.

Demar died for this.

Who needs a doctor when you have the Nurse.

Gasol wins the parade.

Doug Ford lawl

Go Raps

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He put up the all time highest playoff VORP ever in 2018....

His 2017 and 2016 are also way ahead.... lol

You are talking about the regular season like it holds weight in comparison to the playoffs.

He wasn't in the playoffs this season though so there will be a 2 year gap until next time. During that time, he goes from 33 to 35 years old so like it or not, risk of decline is a factor.

If I had to choose today for next season I also take Lebron. Unlike you though, I wouldn't be 100% sure that I made what's going to be the right choice in the end and I certainly wouldn't LOL at someone who would take Curry instead. Davis is better than Thompson, I think that's pretty obvious and all I'm saying is that Lebron vs Curry is much less clear. Again, you disagree and that's fine but it seems pretty obvious to me.

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
He wasn't in the playoffs this season though so there will be a 2 year gap until next time. During that time, he goes from 33 to 35 years old so like it or not, risk of decline is a factor.

If I had to choose today for next season I also take Lebron. Unlike you though, I wouldn't be 100% sure that I made what's going to be the right choice in the end and I certainly wouldn't LOL at someone who would take Curry instead. Davis is better than Thompson, I think that's pretty obvious and all I'm saying is that Lebron vs Curry is much less clear. Again, you disagree and that's fine but it seems pretty obvious to me.

Okay, point taken :)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
When they build Kawhi's statue, they should add a motion sensor to it so it emits Kawhi's laugh when you walk by :laugh:.
Wonder if at some point they do a Raptors version of Legends Row?

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
And to no one's great surprise, here's Steve Simmons using an idiot with a gun as an excuse to bash both the Raptors and MLSE...

SIMMONS: Raptors parade was a disaster on many levels

No, Steve, the parade wasn't an embarrassment. The people with guns were the embarrassment, and YOU are an embarrassment. Why hasn't the Sun fired this ****ing hack yet?
The only problem I had with the parade was the poor planning and lack of barriers on the streets which resulted in them taking 5 hours to get to Nathan Phillips Square.

And the big problem with that is by the time they got there all the players were exhausted and out of it. The best part of championship parades are when the players make their drunk speeches. But that all wore off after 5 hours in the sun lol

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Report: Kawhi's decision likely down to Raptors, Clippers, not Lakers - Sportsnet.ca
If you’re hoping to see Kawhi Leonard join forces with LeBron James and Anthony Davis on the Los Angeles Lakers to form the NBA’s latest super team, you might want to pump the brakes.

Leonard has $21.3-million player option that he’s expected to decline, which will make him a coveted free agent this summer and, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski, the Lakers aren’t among the frontrunners to land the man who just led the Toronto Raptors to Canada’s first NBA title.

“The reality is Kawhi Leonard’s focused on Los Angeles, but it’s the Clippers, not the Lakers,” Wojnarowski said during an appearance on ESPN’s Get Up Tuesday.

The soon-to-be 28-year-old won’t come cheap, so the Lakers likely wouldn’t be able to afford Leonard’s salary anyways, but Wojnarowski also said signing somewhere to be the third wheel on a super team has not been Leonard’s modus operandi.

“The Clippers are poised to be able to lure him from Toronto,” Wojnarowski said. “This will be a Raptors-Clippers fight. He may take meetings with more teams but it’s not even certain he’d even take a meeting with the Lakers right now.”

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If he goes, it's just because he wants to play close to home. At least when he got traded last years, he was going to a team that already won 59 games without him. Now he'd be leaving a championship team to go to a team that was an 8th seed. If I was him, I would stay for another 2 or 3 seasons with my championship team and then leave to come home if I want to.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I mean it all seems pretty simple, from my perspective.

1) Sign in Toronto for 2 more seasons
2) Win another championship
3) Hit UFA when you can get your super-max in the summer of 2021
4) Go somewhere as a package with Giannis (preferably Toronto)

Let me be your agent Kawhi!

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
And to no one's great surprise, here's Steve Simmons using an idiot with a gun as an excuse to bash both the Raptors and MLSE...

No, Steve, the parade wasn't an embarrassment. The people with guns were the embarrassment, and YOU are an embarrassment. Why hasn't the Sun fired this ****ing hack yet?
Steve Simmons is an idiot, but having been at Nathan Phillips Square yesterday (I left by the time the gun shots happened, after I decided around 2pm to walk over to Queen/University to see the parade over waiting for speeches), there were significant issues from a logistical standpoint. Even if we ignore the idiot with a gun. They didn't have nearly enough toilets, it appeared to be understaffed by cops to keep in in order (hence the 50 people climbing the arches, and then climbing portapotties to get up to the media area), they played no live music or anything to kill time, the TV monitors would occasionally work, but would generally just be showing an NBA finals screen saver essentially, and no water was provided (I bought a 2 dollar can of ginger ale from some Sushi place at the Sheraton making a killing).

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
^^^^

"Disaster" is way too strong a word, but you are right - there were several very predictable mistakes that could have been avoided. The main 2 were barricades along the route (a friend watched the start at the Ex and they were stuck there for the first 1/2 hour) and lack of porta-potties. I guess if things went on schedule the porta-potties would have been less needed. I peed in some laneway somewhere....

The guns had virtually nothing to do with the organization.

Kudos to Matty D for calming the crowd. Initially I thought he was wrong to even mention it, but this could easily have erupted into a panic and a stampede with a lot more injuries.

And of course Simmons is still an idiot, no matter what.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
When they build Kawhi's statue, they should add a motion sensor to it so it emits Kawhi's laugh when you walk by :laugh:.

Haha, awesome. They should absolutely do this!!

I'm not a fan of Simmons but IMO yeah, the parade was a bit of an embarrassment. No question that it could have been planned much better. To be fair I didn't read Simmons (and I almost never do) but they read a bit of what he wrote on the radio this morning, I couldn't disagree with anything and neither could the people doing the show.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
The only reason the Clippers are appealing is because he's from there.

The team is kinda meh. Though Kawhi changes that quickly, but if Kawhi wants to win, staying here is the better option.
You’ve forgotten Jerry West, Doc Rivers and the richest owner in pro sports Steve Ballmer. The Clippers have a lot going for them.

He’s got an incredibly difficult decision to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->