Raptors Discussion: v79| Playoffs '19|Round 2 vs PHI | Game 7: Sum, May 12 | 7pm ET / 4pm PT| Series tied 3-3| SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
On the night in which the Leafs lose in the first round again, the Raptors have advanced to round 2 for the fourth straight season. I'm not sure if the Leafs have ever done this (or the equivalent) since the Original Six era.

I'm excited to see how far they can go.

Reactions: AreBe

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I think 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
Pretty sure we stepped on an Ottawa team that was as dangerously and young as we are now. We were the big bad bruins then and that Ottawa team finally put it together a few years later and made the finals. Cant win them all and if you could then its not worth watching. Almost like the spanking of Orlando. Blow outs wont stress the fan out but the win never feels the same.

Reactions: AreBe

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Please Kawhi stay in Toronto. :(

I have a hard time enjoying the success this season because I can't shake off that feeling that this is borrowed time more than anything.
Siakam is a huge key to him staying IMO. The kid looks like he can be a superstar on his current trajectory. I would take him over Tatum, Simmons for at least the next 2-3 years.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Siakam is a huge key to him staying IMO. The kid looks like he can be a superstar on his current trajectory. I would take him over Tatum, Simmons for at least the next 2-3 years.

It’s funny because I remember people arguing with DJQ and myself here last summer about how the Celts youth is unquestionably better. Siakam literally became something from nothing. His work ethic is insane and he transferred his soccer footwork to the court.

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
It’s funny because I remember people arguing with DJQ and myself here last summer about how the Celts youth is unquestionably better. Siakam literally became something from nothing. His work ethic is insane and he transferred his soccer footwork to the court.
I think the Celtics players share a similar overhype that Leaf prospects get. In baseball, I can't count how many over-hyped "top prospects" the Yankees and Red Sox have peddled off for stars. I guess it's a big market thing, I honestly have no clue but Tatum and Brown are overrated. You put them on the Grizzlies, would they even have half the hype they do now?

I like Tatum's game for the record and it's visually pleasing to watch, as of now though it looks far more like style over substance with him.

Could you imagine what people would be saying about Siakam if he played on the Lakers or Celtics?

Last edited:
Reactions: Eyedea

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I think the Celtics players share a similar overhype that Leaf prospects get. In baseball, I can't count how many over-hyped "top prospects" the Yankees and Red Sox have peddled off for stars. I guess it's a big market thing, I honestly have no clue but Simmons and Brown are overrated. You put them on the Grizzlies, would they even have half the hype they do now?

I like Simmons game for the record and it's visually pleasing to watch, as of now though it looks far more like style over substance with him.

Could you imagine what people would be saying about Siakam if he played on the Lakers or Celtics?

It’s good that Siakam is performing like this in the playoffs because now he’s finally getting recognized as a bonafide all-star, potential superstar. Meanwhile TMac seems to be the lone figure in NBA sports talk that feels DLo deserves MIP over him because (paraphrasing) “he was already good, just had more minutes to inflate his numbers”.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

And earlier this season when people said he wasn't a core piece.

Shout out to people being sure about things.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
It’s good that Siakam is performing like this in the playoffs because now he’s finally getting recognized as a bonafide all-star, potential superstar. Meanwhile TMac seems to be the lone figure in NBA sports talk that feels DLo deserves MIP over him because (paraphrasing) “he was already good, just had more minutes to inflate his numbers”.
I see TMac on tv talking about the Raptors, I change the channel.

And absolutely agree on Siakam, it's refreshing to have our best players (Leonard,Siakam) dominate the playoffs as opposed to years past with DD and Lowry (more DD than Lowry). Seeing him step up in game 3 while Kawhi was dealing with the flu was great and bodes well for the future.

Hard not to love this team, their toughness and the way they play.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
If Giannis ever develops a consistent jumper that he has confidence in...R.I.P to the rest of the NBA.

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
Really thought Magic coach Steve Clifford had an interesting quote on Kyle Lowry after the series:

“What I see in him is he is looking around and he’s saying this is the best team he has played on, this is the best chance they have had and he’s always been a winning player anyway,” Clifford said. “But I think he understands this is his best chance so far and he’s playing at a really high level.”

Agree completely with this assessment, and I think that the realization of this being the best chance for a championship isn’t only happening for Lowry. Think about guys like Gasol and Ibaka who are quality vets and have accepted playing different roles than they have in the past for the benefit of the team. Think about a steady vet like Danny Green who has come in and played his role effectively and efficiently while being incredibly professional from day one. Think about Leonard who has gotten comfortable in Toronto and learned how to get his offence within the confines of team game and contributes on both ends. Think about a guy like Siakam who was a late 1st round pick that not many knew about...his work ethic and improvement earned him a more featured role and he is now a two-way force and perhaps the 2nd scoring option on one of the best teams in the NBA. Then there is the young guys like FVV and Norman Powell who have been there through the heartbreaks of past years and are valuable bench options.

If you’ve watched the Raptors throughout the season, you’ll know that this team just has a different vibe to it. They’re not as fragile mentally as in the past, they’ve proven they can learn from a rough game and bounce back at elite level. They’ve been focused on reaching the NBA finals, and they haven’t let the small things drag them down at all at any point so far. They have that “been there and done that” sort of mentality and I truly believe they are better equipped to handle the playoffs than past iterations of the Raptors. Excited to see watch this series against Philly, should be a terrific battle! Let’s Go Raptors

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Are we allowed to be Leafs fans and Raptors fans
I thought that was against the Rules!

Hear what Code promoter had to say (See 0:48 to about 1:00) about the Raptors and the Bruins walking in to the arena last night? Say that here and you are rightly looking at bans.

It's not like the Raptors somehow cause Leafs problems. If anything, they help fill the arena, and more so than the Leafs this playoffs, again. Those who think the Raptors hurt the Leafs are fools.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
He's talking about fashion and nothing to do with anything that you've said.

Unless I am missing something?
Wearing suits is fine if that's your thing, what NBA players wear is fine too. Cherry not wanting to make a comment about the Raptors players and how they look sounds about right though for the old, senile racist that he is. Stuck in his own ways, whoever doesn't think exactly like he does is wrong.

You can even see Ron shaking his head when that old fart opens his mouth about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->