Raptors Discussion: v78| It's playoff time | Rd 1 vs ORL | Gm3: Fri 4/19 7pm ET/4pm PT | SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I don't know why but I feel that Kwahi is staying in Toronto. I have noticed more emotion from him over the past couple of weeks on the bench and the floor. He seems more in tune with what Toronto is trying to do. I feel he appreciates the way the club has treated him. And the moves at the deadline where Masai showing to Kwahi he is committed to winning. The organization is committed to winning.

We have one of the best fan bases in all of basketball. Lebron said it himself. If there was only a way to cut bait on some other players and bring in another big name to entice him further to stay.

Maybe ship out Ibaka and Powell some place to free up space to take a run at someone like Durant or Butler to pair with him, Lowry and Gasol. That would be one heck of a lineup

Lowry
Leonard
Siakam
Gasol
Durant

OR

Lowry
Butler
Leonard
Gasol
Siakam

I feel like people really need to do simple research on the NBA’s soft cap and why simply shedding ~40m doesn’t automatically allow you to sign someone for max

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I feel like people really need to do simple research on the NBA’s soft cap and why simply shedding ~40m doesn’t automatically allow you to sign someone for max

If the Raps are already paying into the tax with current roster. Why wouldn't they be willing to pay into the tax again?

Eliminating 64.6 million from payroll if you somehow rid yourself of Ibaka, Powell and Kwahi opts out. And Green is a FA, Means the Raps have the means to put together a very strong lineup. You can easily sign Kwahi and another player. Maybe not Durant, but Butler or someone else.

Remember teams like Golden State, or Cleveland we top heavy in the past and present. Other players went to them with lower cap hits but an opportunity to win a championship.

If Toronto can sign Kwahi and add that to Lowry and Gasol. That is already a great threesome. Add one more 20 million player and you are on to something. Then other vets will come and sign for the minimum or close to it for the opportunity to win. That is the NBA style.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I don't know why but I feel that Kwahi is staying in Toronto. I have noticed more emotion from him over the past couple of weeks on the bench and the floor. He seems more in tune with what Toronto is trying to do. I feel he appreciates the way the club has treated him. And the moves at the deadline where Masai showing to Kwahi he is committed to winning. The organization is committed to winning.

You can’t change what a player fundamentally wants in areas like family, weather, home, etc.. if that’s what he wants, no money in the world is gonna keep him from leaving, but I hope he stays too. Honestly not too enamoured with all the drama and little injuries only he seems to get inflicted with, but it is what it is.

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
You can’t change what a player fundamentally wants in areas like family, weather, home, etc.. if that’s what he wants, no money in the world is gonna keep him from leaving, but I hope he stays too. Honestly not too enamoured with all the drama and little injuries only he seems to get inflicted with, but it is what it is.

All the drama? Has Kawhi said more than 100 words to the media since he's been here?

This guy is the opposite of drama.

I don't mind him sitting out, this team has been able to win when he's sat, and we need him to be 100% for the playoffs.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
If the Raps are already paying into the tax with current roster. Why wouldn't they be willing to pay into the tax again?

Eliminating 64.6 million from payroll if you somehow rid yourself of Ibaka, Powell and Kwahi opts out. And Green is a FA, Means the Raps have the means to put together a very strong lineup. You can easily sign Kwahi and another player. Maybe not Durant, but Butler or someone else.

Remember teams like Golden State, or Cleveland we top heavy in the past and present. Other players went to them with lower cap hits but an opportunity to win a championship.

If Toronto can sign Kwahi and add that to Lowry and Gasol. That is already a great threesome. Add one more 20 million player and you are on to something. Then other vets will come and sign for the minimum or close to it for the opportunity to win. That is the NBA style.

Just because Kawhi opts out doesn’t mean you can then sign someone else on top of retaining him. When a player opts out they create a cap hold, and so the Raps would need to waive his cap hold to free up space, eliminating the bird rights they possessed in order to actually retain him in the first place while operating above the soft cap.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Just because Kawhi opts out doesn’t mean you can then sign someone else on top of retaining him. When a player opts out they create a cap hold, and so the Raps would need to waive his cap hold to free up space, eliminating the bird rights they possessed in order to actually retain him in the first place while operating above the soft cap.

I am not stipulating that we need to free up the space. I would want to resign him with his bird rights. In the end when he opts out of his contract it is dollars that we have to spend towards him. The trading of other pieces would make it feasible to acquire another top end talent. That is my point.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I am not stipulating that we need to free up the space. I would want to resign him with his bird rights. In the end when he opts out of his contract it is dollars that we have to spend towards him. The trading of other pieces would make it feasible to acquire another top end talent. That is my point.

So remind me of how you’re going to sign Durant/Butler with no cap space?

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
So remind me of how you’re going to sign Durant/Butler with no cap space?

Are the Raps not over the cap this season? Remember I know we are on hockey forums. But NBA isn't the NHL, their cap is a soft cap not a hard one like the NHL.

They already are in the tax this season and will be next season as well.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Bruhhhhhhhhhhhh

What the Raps with all contracts right now are at close to 137 million in salaries on a soft cap of close t0 102 million.

So if they trade Ibaka and Powell salaries, that is close to 35 million in combined salaries. Can we not sign someone else on top of Kwahi with that money saved? Obviously we will get players back for Ibaka and Powell. But you figure out what to do with your roster when that time comes.

Point being, if they spent close to 35 million over the cap this season. Why can they not next season.

It would be the last time they have Lowry and Gasol on the books as they are only signed for one more season (next season).

Then turn around and build around Kwahi, Siakam and OG with the money saved on Lowry and Gasol.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
What the Raps with all contracts right now are at close to 137 million in salaries on a soft cap of close t0 102 million.

So if they trade Ibaka and Powell salaries, that is close to 35 million in combined salaries. Can we not sign someone else on top of Kwahi with that money saved? Obviously we will get players back for Ibaka and Powell. But you figure out what to do with your roster when that time comes.

Point being, if they spent close to 35 million over the cap this season. Why can they not next season.

It would be the last time they have Lowry and Gasol on the books as they are only signed for one more season (next season).

Then turn around and build around Kwahi, Siakam and OG with the money saved on Lowry and Gasol.

Short answer: no
Long answer: noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooope

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie

There are a few exemptions and exemptions for mid-level and minimum contracts but generally speaking you cannot bring in a free agent player if his salary puts you over the soft cap. The main way of doing that is with your own players. Its called bird rights, in short that means you can sign your own players over the soft cap and up to the hard cap but not outside players. Also the tax on money over the soft cap has a repeater penalty so the if you are in the tax 3 out of the last 4 years (which we will be I think) you get an increasing penalty based on how far over you are. The max penalty is a 425% tax on salary if you are $25million or more over and it scales down so that's why its important that Masai has made moves to free up space even now

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Also its extremely difficult to just trade Ibaka and Powell, since the majority of teams are over the cap and you need to match salaries. To actually trade either one of them without getting salary back in return to one of the limited teams with cap space would cost at least a first rounder (and likely multiple ones for Ibaka).

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
What does Masai mean when says "Kawhi will make the right decision"? Does he mean that the "right decision" is to stay in Toronto? Or just a vague "right decision" for Kawhi? Then why even say that? That's pointless. Of course he will me the right decision for himself.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
What does Masai mean when says "Kawhi will make the right decision"? Does he mean that the "right decision" is to stay in Toronto? Or just a vague "right decision" for Kawhi? Then why even say that? That's pointless. Of course he will me the right decision for himself.

Let's say you're Masai, and a reporter asks you for the 100th time if you think Kawhi will resign in Toronto.

How would you answer that question?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Let's say you're Masai, and a reporter asks you for the 100th time if you think Kawhi will resign in Toronto.

How would you answer that question?

"I've got a lifetime supply of free chicken wings on the table if he wants to stay. The opening offer is honey garlic, but if he's willing to take a team option in the last year, we'll up it to Buffalo. But if he won't bite, there's not much else i can do."

At this point I'd just start trolling with ridiculous answers.

Alternate answer: "How come nobody asks about Danny Green?"

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Thought I'd share for kicks. This is Forbes 2016 NBA draft grades.

27. Toronto Raptors: Pascal Siakam (PF, New Mexico State)
Just what Toronto was thinking with this pick with Deyonta Davis still on the board is a mystery. Pascal Siakam has talent, yes, but is not a strong athlete and even ESPN analysts were surprised that he went this high. GM Masai Ujiri must see something in him that others don’t, but there’s no doubt that the Raptors could have done so much better with this pick. Grade: D-

:help:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm behind because I just started watching from the beginning, but the NBA skills competition is underwhelming. We're quickly reaching "skip the whole damn weekend" territory with the all-star festivities.

Meanwhile:

Let the overwrought panic begin!

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I almost want to take back my previous comment just for the fact that Kevin Harlan mentioned Larry Hughes on air in 2019 at the end of the skills competition.

You know, they say that on a cold night if you listen hard enough, you can still hear the groans of Hughes' former teammates as he jacks up another ill-advised 20-footer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->