Raptors Discussion: v78| It's playoff time | Rd 1 vs ORL | Gm3: Fri 4/19 7pm ET/4pm PT | SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
Holy shit. If Leonard and Gasol opt out, and Lowry and Ibaka move on, we will have $100,000,000 in cap space in 2020-2021!

Anthony Davis (UFA) and Jamal Murray (RFA) are free agents in 2020.
Giannis (UFA) and Bradley Beal (UFA) are free agents in 2021.

:naughty:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
It'll sting more when we don't win the championship either

The whole point if this setup the Raptors had, even at the Kawhi trade, was the quick pivot option. If Kawhi walks, the team can go immediately into a full rebuild. No treadmilling, no floating along with a team that's stuck below the top shelf. Either this works and he stays and they keep the roster together or he leaves and it'll be easy to trade the likes of Lowry/Ibaka and start the rebuild immediately.

This shouldn't be surprising, nor is it bad.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
The JV trade feels like what the Blue Jays did when they traded the farm for Price and Tulo. I'm excited for this year and expect a tank for the next 4-5. But I'm okay with a tank, NBA is a star driven league.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
The whole point if this setup the Raptors had, even at the Kawhi trade, was the quick pivot option. If Kawhi walks, the team can go immediately into a full rebuild. No treadmilling, no floating along with a team that's stuck below the top shelf. Either this works and he stays and they keep the roster together or he leaves and it'll be easy to trade the likes of Lowry/Ibaka and start the rebuild immediately.

This shouldn't be surprising, nor is it bad.
agree 100% those expiring contracts are like gold nowadays..

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
The JV trade feels like what the Blue Jays did when they traded the farm for Price and Tulo. I'm excited for this year and expect a tank for the next 4-5. But I'm okay with a tank, NBA is a star driven league.
JV and wright arent the farm..not even close. if we traded OG and siakam i would get this take more. not sure wright will ever be anything other than what he is now honestly. i liked jv but for short term gasol makes us much better and if kawhi walks all that matters is the short term anyways.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

It’s like some of you have trouble analyzing one sport without coming up with an example from a second (completely and utterly different) sport.

It’s odd.

I wonder what the hockey equivalent is?????????)&&!&

Reactions: Forgotusername

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Losing JV is tough. He's a great team player. I'm personally going to miss the bow ties. In saying that, with the "all in" mentality that Masai has portrayed. This is the right move. I'm looking forward to see how Nurse is going to use Gasol.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Losing JV is tough. He's a great team player. I'm personally going to miss the bow ties. In saying that, with the "all in" mentality that Masai has portrayed. This is the right move. I'm looking forward to see how Nurse is going to use Gasol.
i can see huge dunks from a cutting kawhi or siakam off gasol passes.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
i can see huge dunks from a cutting kawhi or siakam off gasol passes.

That's one of the first things I thought of. Gasol is such a good passer compared to JV. He might not be the star he was earlier in his career. But I'm looking forward to the first time we play Philly. Him against Embid.

Reactions: stickty111

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
That's one of the first things I thought of. Gasol is such a good passer compared to JV. He might not be the star he was earlier in his career. But I'm looking forward to the first time we play Philly. Him against Embid.
ye hes gonna stretch the floor so well compared to JV. he has the 2nd highest assist numbers on the team i believe at 4.7 or something per game.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
ye hes gonna stretch the floor so well compared to JV. he has the 2nd highest assist numbers on the team i believe at 4.7 or something per game.

Agreed, I'm a big JV fan. But Gasol fits our team so much better IMO. Wow, for a big man, that's impressive.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The team has 4 roster spots to fill in and basically has 3 needs at this point:

1) reserve PG
2) wing shooting
3) depth big

It probably should be ordered as

1) shooter
2) PG
3) Big

though.

#3 is probably a place where they can "cheat" a bit. Maybe they just give that spot to Boucher and let him develop. With a frontcourt of Gasol, Ibaka, Siakam, Leonard, OG you've got 4 guys that can play the 4/5 depending on your lineup size and you don't need a ton of size. What's probably most important is some shooting to help the second unit, followed by a 3rd PG who can spell Lowry and play alongside VanVleet. Jeremy Lin might be a good option in that regard.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Gasol's biggest problem seems to be that he's become a volume scorer instead of a high-efficiency big. But the Raptors don't need him to score, so that's not a big concern. Instead we get a solid rebounder, great passer, and still a good defender, which is basically exactly what the team needs.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
The team has 4 roster spots to fill in and basically has 3 needs at this point:

1) reserve PG
2) wing shooting
3) depth big

It probably should be ordered as

1) shooter
2) PG
3) Big

though.

#3 is probably a place where they can "cheat" a bit. Maybe they just give that spot to Boucher and let him develop. With a frontcourt of Gasol, Ibaka, Siakam, Leonard, OG you've got 4 guys that can play the 4/5 depending on your lineup size and you don't need a ton of size. What's probably most important is some shooting to help the second unit, followed by a 3rd PG who can spell Lowry and play alongside VanVleet. Jeremy Lin might be a good option in that regard.

With how frail both Lowry and VanVleet have been so far this year. I totally agree that we'll need to add back up for those two. Do you have any names in particular that you could see the Raptors targeting?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
So the raps arguably have a top 5 C, PF, SG, PG, Bench big, and bench PG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad