Raptors Discussion: v78| It's playoff time | Rd 1 vs ORL | Gm3: Fri 4/19 7pm ET/4pm PT | SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Despite OG's stuggles, don't we want to give him floor time as much as possible still? For his development?

I want OG to do well but this season is not for development. We're going all-in.
We need to be going into the playoffs with full confidence in every player who'll be in our rotation and if someone isn't pulling their weight, they should be replaced

Keep in mind, Powell was completely knocked out of the rotation last season, he took that and made himself better for this season

Reactions: stickty111

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Really hope it's Markieff Morris that we add

Having Green and Powell at SF is useful only for specific situations (small ball lineups). You don't want them getting regular minutes at that backup spot. Also, neither Gasol or Ibaka should be playing any PF minutes. With Ibaka, it takes away his effectiveness when he's away from the rim (we also see how that affects him offensively) and Gasol doesn't have that quickness like he used to.

With all that being said, you're giving a lot of responsibility to OG, a player who has struggled all season. He's essentially the primary backup PF and SF right now.

Yeah, for sure that's the biggest problem. Wright was a help in that regard because he was long enough that you could deploy him off the ball and powell at SF and they could switch defensively, so it was only PF that had as big of a hole in terms of depth as it does now. And sure, sometimes you could probably slide Ibaka down (though he gets exposed at all but the most advantageous matchups at the 4.)

The biggest hurdle that the Raptors have right now is that their size distribution is such that it causes problems in the middle of the lineup, putting a lot of pressure on OG simply because he's the only one who can conceivably shoulder it.

Right now, this is the height distribution of the Raptors:

VanVleet - 6'0
Lowry - 6'1
Lin - 6'3
Powell - 6'4
McLemore - 6'5
Green - 6'6
Miller - 6'7
McCaw - 6'7
Leonard - 6'7
Anunoby - 6'8
Siakam - 6'9
Boucher - 6'10
Ibaka - 6'10
Gasol - 7'1

Presuming McLemore signs, that's 5 players sitting 6'5 or shorter, making them less than ideal for guarding standard sized wing guys, especially the high end ones that are going to be 6'6-6'9

Then in the middle of the curve Green is basically anchored to the starting SG spot and isn't the defender he once was, Miller and McCaw are deep depth and not counted on for defensive prowess (Miller has too small a sample to really form an opinion on. McCaw's is only slightly less limited but suggests that while he's high motor, most of the defensive value he has comes from translating that energy into ball-hawking steals rather than lock-down D. The fact that he is most often positionally listed as a SG and not a SF is telling). Siakam and taller are locked in at PF/C. So basically the entirety of defensive possibility at the 3 comes from Kawhi and Kawhi Jr. If OG had been able to take the next step this year, that wouldn't be a problem. But his shooting is cratering and his D seems to be going with it. I mean, my god, he's shooting 45-****ing-percent on FTs this season. That's... unspeakably awful. That makes Shaq look like Steve goddamn Nash. Shaq literally only ever shot that badly once in his entire career. And his career was basically the world's biggest running joke about bricking FTs. But, getting back to OG, while I'm not willing to write him off yet since he's just 21 and has bucketloads of potential, perhaps its for the best if he could have the pressure taken off.

Maybe it's a sign that the next "best" step for the team isn't Markieff Morris. Perhaps it's a wing with a 3pt shot who wouldn't be a defensive sieve. that way you can shelter OG more, rest Kawhi more, and not have to constantly fiddle and rejigger the defensive assignments with every substitution. Not sure who the ideal solution in that space is. I still like the idea of the Vince reunion, but I'm not sure throwing 41 year old VC into the fire defensively is an appealing prospect. Also there's no guarantee he's even available. But hey, 2 days ago Lin wasn't getting bought out. Then 1 day ago he was only going to a team that could give him FA-value-building starters' minutes. So who knows what happens between now and the next time Masai pulls off his next amazing feat of GM wizardry.

Really they should rescind that McLemore 10-day and look for help elsewhere.

and sorry for getting caught up in the OG free throws rant. It just sort of led me down the rabbit hole. and on the whole nothing gets me more peeved at NBA guys than not hitting your FTs. It's literally (legitimately literally, not figuratively literally) the single easiest basketball skill to work on.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Yeah, for sure that's the biggest problem. Wright was a help in that regard because he was long enough that you could deploy him off the ball and powell at SF and they could switch defensively, so it was only PF that had as big of a hole in terms of depth as it does now. And sure, sometimes you could probably slide Ibaka down (though he gets exposed at all but the most advantageous matchups at the 4.)

The biggest hurdle that the Raptors have right now is that their size distribution is such that it causes problems in the middle of the lineup, putting a lot of pressure on OG simply because he's the only one who can conceivably shoulder it.

Right now, this is the height distribution of the Raptors:

VanVleet - 6'0
Lowry - 6'1
Lin - 6'3
Powell - 6'4
McLemore - 6'5
Green - 6'6
Miller - 6'7
McCaw - 6'7
Leonard - 6'7
Anunoby - 6'8
Siakam - 6'9
Boucher - 6'10
Ibaka - 6'10
Gasol - 7'1

Presuming McLemore signs, that's 5 players sitting 6'5 or shorter, making them less than ideal for guarding standard sized wing guys, especially the high end ones that are going to be 6'6-6'9

Then in the middle of the curve Green is basically anchored to the starting SG spot and isn't the defender he once was, Miller and McCaw are deep depth and not counted on for defensive prowess (Miller has too small a sample to really form an opinion on. McCaw's is only slightly less limited but suggests that while he's high motor, most of the defensive value he has comes from translating that energy into ball-hawking steals rather than lock-down D. The fact that he is most often positionally listed as a SG and not a SF is telling). Siakam and taller are locked in at PF/C. So basically the entirety of defensive possibility at the 3 comes from Kawhi and Kawhi Jr. If OG had been able to take the next step this year, that wouldn't be a problem. But his shooting is cratering and his D seems to be going with it. I mean, my god, he's shooting 45-****ing-percent on FTs this season. That's... unspeakably awful. That makes Shaq look like Steve goddamn Nash. Shaq literally only ever shot that badly once in his entire career. And his career was basically the world's biggest running joke about bricking FTs. But, getting back to OG, while I'm not willing to write him off yet since he's just 21 and has bucketloads of potential, perhaps its for the best if he could have the pressure taken off.

Maybe it's a sign that the next "best" step for the team isn't Markieff Morris. Perhaps it's a wing with a 3pt shot who wouldn't be a defensive sieve. that way you can shelter OG more, rest Kawhi more, and not have to constantly fiddle and rejigger the defensive assignments with every substitution. Not sure who the ideal solution in that space is. I still like the idea of the Vince reunion, but I'm not sure throwing 41 year old VC into the fire defensively is an appealing prospect. Also there's no guarantee he's even available. But hey, 2 days ago Lin wasn't getting bought out. Then 1 day ago he was only going to a team that could give him FA-value-building starters' minutes. So who knows what happens between now and the next time Masai pulls off his next amazing feat of GM wizardry.

Really they should rescind that McLemore 10-day and look for help elsewhere.

and sorry for getting caught up in the OG free throws rant. It just sort of led me down the rabbit hole. and on the whole nothing gets me more peeved at NBA guys than not hitting your FTs. It's literally (legitimately literally, not figuratively literally) the single easiest basketball skill to work on.

Essentially, we're looking for an OG clone who can shoot. We should be targeting a tweener who can guard 3s and 4s. Yeah, I'm not interested in VC. Offensively, he's fine (hit your corner 3s and make the extra pass for a better look) but defensively, he'll be a concern.

Markieff is mostly a 4 but he can play a bit of 3. The only other name that comes to mind is Anthony Tolliver but I haven't heard anything about him being bought out.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Essentially, we're looking for an OG clone who can shoot. We should be targeting a tweener who can guard 3s and 4s. Yeah, I'm not interested in VC. Offensively, he's fine (hit your corner 3s and make the extra pass for a better look) but defensively, he'll be a concern.

Markieff is mostly a 4 but he can play a bit of 3. The only other name that comes to mind is Anthony Tolliver but I haven't heard anything about him being bought out.

Yeah, but we'll never find that because that's something everyone is looking for. Because it's more or less Kawhi.

Tolliver would make sense, but I can't find anything about whether or not he's a candidate for a buyout. Closest I found was that he was on an NBCSN article about attractive potential buyout candidates for the Warriors. But nothing in that piece said anything about whether or not the names were necessarily probable to be bought out.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
I think the last slot will be given to Kanter when he is bought out by the knicks.

Give us that big giant paint protector we lost with JV, and his out spoken political attitude suits Canada and Masai.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
I think the last slot will be given to Kanter when he is bought out by the knicks.

Give us that big giant paint protector we lost with JV, and his out spoken political attitude suits Canada and Masai.

Highly doubt it. The reason he had a falling out with the Knicks is because of playing time. He won't want a Monroe-like role here.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Kanter wants to play. Hes barely going to end up on the court now with Ibaka and Gasol. We need a pf.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

What do you think Marc Gasol is for? Gasol is basically JV but better.

Also I'd never call Kanter a 'paint protector'. He's is a garbage shot blocker for a guy who's an anchored-to-the-paint 5. He's never logged more than half a block per game in his career, and even if you switch the baseline to per 36 minutes (ie full-time starter playing time) he's never come close to hitting 1.0 blocks per interval. For comparison, Gasol is 1.6/36m for his career and Ibaka is 1.6/36m this season as a career low. Jonas has been 1.5 for his career

And his political attitudes have ****-all to do with winning basketball games, which is the point of this team.

The last spot is going to someone who can at least play the 4 and potentially can log some time on the wing. And they're either going to be a solid defender or a knock-down shooter (because good luck trying to find someone who's both on the buyout market). None of that is Kanter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad