Raptors Discussion: v75| Season of Kawhi Part 1: Greatest expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'll see your Austin Watson and raise you a Jared Sullinger and DeAndre Liggins. What that has to do with the collective maturity level of basketball players these days, I have no idea. You don't need to be a woman beater to be a whiny, immature and ignorant.

Finding a basketball player with redeeming qualities these days is like playing Where's Waldo?

yeah, so tough to find them.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/04/us/lebron-james-opens-school-trnd/index.html

stop being racist.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You tell me....you're the one that made a generalized statement, stereotyping ~450 individuals based on what, 5 examples?

So hockey players are mental midgets, steeped in social anxiety, incapable of carrying on a conversation without employing the words "uh" "you know" or "shucks".

Do you see how asinine that is?

That's fair. And you nailed hockey players (at least how they talk in interviews) except for the "shucks" part, I can't even remember when I last heard a player say that.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not sure that's called for.

How about we just call a spade a spade. There’s plenty of current and former NBA players that are upstanding citizens who create charities and give back to their communities. The fact that this guy is challenging the thought that any NBA player in today’s world has redeeming qualities is asinine, and racist (because let’s be honest, he’s not singling out the white players).

Culture Watch: The Raptors give back with a call to action

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
How about we just call a spade a spade. There’s plenty of current and former NBA players that are upstanding citizens who create charities and give back to their communities. The fact that this guy is challenging the thought that any NBA player in today’s world has redeeming qualities is asinine, and racist (because let’s be honest, he’s not singling out the white players).

Culture Watch: The Raptors give back with a call to action

Meh. IMHO, racism = stupidity, I hate racism and for that reason it's not an accusation I would make lightly and I don't think I saw enough in those isolated posts to reach that conclusion. I would also say that the second part I bolded seems like an over-reaction, I'm pretty sure he didn't say that. In any case, I'm sure poster can speak for himself if he wants to so I'll just leave it at that.

Agree with the rest of your post and thanks for that link, now that was an awesome read!!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yeah, I wouldn't go so far as to call it racist. Moreso pompous, holier-than-thou drivel, spouted by an individual who is primarily a fan of a bush league with lagging profits and an archaic business model.

But hey, its a hockey forum amirite.

LOL I was typing another post as you were writing this ... yeah, this is a hockey forum, I'll leave it at that. :laugh:

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Meh. IMHO, racism = stupidity, I hate racism and for that reason it's not an accusation I would make lightly and I don't think I saw enough in those isolated posts to reach that conclusion. I would also say that the second part I bolded seems like an over-reaction, I'm pretty sure he didn't say that. In any case, I'm sure poster can speak for himself if he wants to so I'll just leave it at that.

Agree with the rest of your post and thanks for that link, now that was an awesome read!!

Finding a basketball player with redeeming qualities these days is like playing Where's Waldo?

I don’t know, this (secord’s) comment doesn’t really make sense in my eyes when you can just look up an NBA roster and see all the charities and organizations players team up with or establish. Suggesting that it’s difficult to find players with redeeming qualities—which is much more broad and simplistic than actually giving back your wealth to the community like many of these players do—is inherently bias towards the NBA culture.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
If I'm Masai, I'm offering this:

Lowry, Powell, Conditional 1st 2019 (Butler re-signs) for Butler, Gibson

At best, FVV and Wright can fill Lowry's shoes, and Butler and Leonard take us to the promised land, and decide to re-sign. In the off-season we add someone like Goran Dragic as a free agent, and we have a starting 5 of JV, Siakam, Leonard, Butler, Dragic.

At worst, Leonard, Butler and Gibson walk, however we shed Lowry's 31 million dollar cap space, and have tons of space to start the rebuild without losing our core young players (Wright, FVV, Siakam, OG).
IF Leonard leaves, we won't want Lowry anyways.

This deal also keeps Thibs happy, as it has been rumoured that he would walk away from a rebuild and wants NBA players in return for Butler.

Wouldn't do that. You're not improving enough by swapping Lowry for Butler to justify it. The reason you make a trade like this is to have a big 3.

Zach Lowe appears to agree:

I didn't really get the early Raptors/Butler buzz. Minnesota should not want Serge Ibaka or Jonas Valanciunas. A package of Danny Green, Fred VanVleet (ineligible to be traded until Jan. 15) and a protected first-round pick could work, but the Raptors know they have to be ready to rebuild if Leonard bolts. I'm not sure they want to dip any further into their stash of picks and young guys -- VanVleet, Delon Wright, OG Anunoby, and Pascal Siakam -- to recruit another star on an expiring deal.

Lowe: The best possible trades for Jimmy Butler

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I couldn't care less if Kawhi never spoke a word to the media all season long. All we need from him is to stay healthy and lead us to the promised land. He can be a mute for all I care. Just please please help lead us to the promised land.

Reactions: nwarrior

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Man, the Celtics are getting cocky over there. Jaylen Brown says that they are going to the finals no doubt about it. What a goof. I hope we crush the Celts this season.

Reactions: WildBoy

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Jimmy Butler not showing up for T'wolves media day or the start of training camp over this whole rift/spat thing.

"Lisa, if you don't like your job, you don't strike. You just go in there every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way!"

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Is Kawhi expected at the Raptors media day?

If not, that's pretty disheartening and disengaging. No other way to put it except he's not happy to be here.

Reactions: Critical91

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I am actually more interested in hearing from Kyle Lowry. We have not heard much from him at all this summer. We still don't know how he really feels after the trade. I wonder if he'll open up a bit more on Monday when they all show up for medicals. It's very important that Kyle is happy. We need him and Kawhi to gel well together.

Reactions: Belieber

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
For the next 9 months, it's going to be non-stop rumours of Kawhi wanting to go to LA or maybe NY, Kawhi liking or not liking Toronto, Uncle Dennis not being happy, Kawhi looking to form a big 3 with Kyrie and Jimmy...etc etc

My best suggestion is to ignore the rumours as I believe our success will be a massive determining factor for him staying or not staying.
IMO this is the best team in franchise history so enjoy it!

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I would not be surprised if Masai found a way to get Butler here without sacrificing a great deal of the future.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
My biggest fear is Leonard quitting on the team, everyone assumes we have this great player for one playoff run and a shot to beat Philly and boston and go to the finals... not if Leonard is sitting at home on the couch. This guy quit on the Spurs, the best organization in the NBA the last 20 years.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
My biggest fear is Leonard quitting on the team, everyone assumes we have this great player for one playoff run and a shot to beat Philly and boston and go to the finals... not if Leonard is sitting at home on the couch. This guy quit on the Spurs, the best organization in the NBA the last 20 years.
If he quits on the team, he definitely will not get paid in FA. Its in his best interest to perform even if he intends to leave after this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad