Raptors Discussion: v71|RIP Bruno era (2014-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
NBA Salary Cap FAQ
66. What is a contract buyout?

Sometimes players and teams decide to divorce each other. They do this by mutually agreeing that:
  • The team will waive the player
  • If the player clears waivers, the player's guaranteed salary will be reduced or eliminated (see question number 63)
  • Optionally the team's set-off rights (see question number 65) may be waived
After the player clears waivers, he and his former team are free to go their separate ways. There is a quid-pro-quo between the player and team regarding contractual obligation and salary -- in exchange for gaining his freedom, the player agrees to give the team a break on the remaining salary he is owed.

But there's a twist, which needed an arbitrator's ruling to resolve. As detailed in question number 63, on January 10 all contracts become guaranteed for the remainder of that season. Although compensation protection ensures the player is paid after he is waived, the compensation protection does not kick-in if the player is waived after January 10, because the player does not lose any salary. Even though the team and player can mutually agree to reduce or eliminate the player's compensation protection, he is still owed his full salary if waived after January 10.

This was challenged by John Starks during the 1999-2000 season. Starks had been traded to the Bulls, and wanted to sever ties with the team after January 10. The arbitrator ruled that in the last season of a player's contract a team and player can choose to eliminate the protection that kicks-in on January 10. Starks and the Bulls were therefore free to walk away from each other with no money owed.

After a buyout in which the player's guaranteed salary is reduced, the team cannot re-sign the player or claim him of waivers for one year, or until the waived contract would have ended, whichever is later.

The Voluntarily Retired List (see question number 79) can also be utilized when the player wishes to end his employment with his team. However, since the player is not free to sign with another team, it is typically utilized when the player really intends to retire, and not when the parties are simply seeking a divorce.

67. How do buyouts affect team salary?

Any guaranteed salary still owed to the player as the result of a buyout continues to be included in team salary, just as with any waived player. See question number 65 for details.

Last edited:

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I really like Belinelli... he shooting would help. Joe Johnson would be good only if you think you cant get him to be productive again... even like Channing Frye too. Belinelli and Frye are targets i like.

No Vince at all for me. Doesnt help us at his age and production and i think he will be more of a distraction than anything else because the media and fans want to see him play even though he probably should be retired.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
I'd love to see Vince back. It's time.

It's taken more than a decade to forgive him for the way he left here and set the franchise back. But.... I'm over it.

So now it's not personal. Either way.

If he fills a need for the team at a reasonable price, he should be considered. Just like any other player. I wouldn't do anything special to make it happen though.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Can anybody explain why LeBron wants to leave the Cavs so bad, especially for a team out west? I get the weather, Hollywood, entertainment, etc. But, as long as the Warriors remain in tact, moving out west gives him even less of a chance of getting more championships.

This may sound silly, but if I'm him, and I'm determined to leave the Cavs - I'm looking at Toronto or Boston first. One of those teams adds him and they are almost guaranteed to be in the Final.
I agree. I know for some dumb reason most American born athletes believe Toronto is in the boonies, but there's so many reasons I see Lebron wanting to come here.

For one, Toronto is not this rural area. Only NYC and LA are bigger when considering Canadian/American cities. Toronto is beautiful, urban and a huge sports town. Not to mention you have an entire country behind you. I remember when Tulo became a Jay a few years back he was so taken back. He thought he was going to play for some small market team in Canada which to him was foreign as could be. After spending a short period of time there he quickly realized how amazing it was. He got to play ball in one of the best cities in the world with the support of an entire country behind him.

Lebron wants to add to his legacy. What better way to do that then to have the entire country cheering him on and potentially bringing the nation a championship. I can see the title of "King Canada" already. I obviously have some bias as a Raptors fan, but I think it makes a lot of sense.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Watch Toronto Raptors President Masai Ujiri speak with media after the NBA's trade deadline.

Ujiri on Caboclo: 'I just thought it was time' - Article - TSN
The Toronto Raptors traded small forward Bruno Caboclo on Thursday, ending his tenure with the team after three and a half seasons.
Raptors president Masai Ujiri said Friday Caboclo is a "a real talented kid," but it was time for the Raptors to move on.

"It was a difficult one for us," Ujiri said of trading Caboclo to the Sacramento Kings for guard Malachi Richardson. "I just thought it was time. I think we started the right process a little late, which I think is something we failed at but we'll learn from."

Ujiri went on to explain that the "right process" was allowing Caboclo to develop in the minor league. The Raptors did not have a D-League team when Caboclo was drafted and he played just eight games in his rookie season with the Raptors. Ujiri said Caboclo may have had more success if he spent his rookie season playing in Europe.

Last edited:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Bring back Vincanity and Air Canada!!!!

Would definitely give the team a boost and the fans although some may not like it they will after he plays a few minutes.....putting on his number 15 will re-juvenate him. Its a win-win....then he retires a Raptor into the hall he goes

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
I think Masai will go after him, but the only problem will be giving him minutes. I think he would get way more minutes and consistent playing time with a team like OKC.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think Masai will go after him, but the only problem will be giving him minutes. I think he would get way more minutes and consistent playing time with a team like OKC.

How about if Miles takes OG's minutes in the starting lineup, while Belli takes Miles' minutes off the bench? Would that be horrible? I think OG needs to sit. He has not been good for a while.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
How about if Miles takes OG's minutes in the starting lineup, while Belli takes Miles' minutes off the bench? Would that be horrible? I think OG needs to sit. He has not been good for a while.

I'm not sure that would be a great idea, tbh. OG is definitely rough offensively, but the numbers really like him. Whichever unit he plays on, benefits massively. I'm not sure the Raps would change that much for Belli.

Frye is another interesting target. We wouldn't have to give him many minutes and he fits a need for us as well.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

You just took a 113 ORating / 107 DRating (0.9 Vorp) small forward and replaced him with a 110 ORating / 113 DRating (0.1 Vorp) shooting guard.....

Let's not do that.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'd turn OG into more of a floater positionally, running him between the 2, 3, and 4 spots to fill whatever holes need it.

C: JV , Poeltl
PF: Ibaka, Siakam
SF: OG, Miles, Carter
SG: DeRozan, Powell
PG: Lowry, Wright, VanVleet

It means scratching Bebe, but there's little else to do for now to make space. And the reality of the above is that you can float like half that roster between multiple positions to keep people in the lineup when necessary. The only guys who really can't push outside of their position are JV and Lowry and maybe Miles.

I found it quite shocking that for his career, Vince is only averaging 17.9 PPG.

spending hte last 8 years averaging progressively fewer points and always <15 ppg will do that.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I'd turn OG into more of a floater positionally, running him between the 2, 3, and 4 spots to fill whatever holes need it.

For me, he's positionless in the playoffs, and simply assigned to cover the other teams best wing (i.e. Beal, Giannis, Lebron, Tatum). Which is great given that at times in the PO last year, Giannis and Lebron were both technically at the "5" for certain stretches of games.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
I wouldn't change anything at this point and going into the playoffs it will be dictated purely by match-ups and in-game performance. If we are adding another shooter now its simply to add another tool to the toolbox, not to upend anything. OG starts because he can defend wings and he may literally be the only player we have who can do that

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
Belli would by a great get, another 3 point shooter is what's needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->