Raptors Discussion: v71|RIP Bruno era (2014-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I think I post this every year so here we go....how does Cleveland manage to trade and get whoever they want every year. And how do they always fit this under the cap? They do this every year and it's starting to really drive me nuts how the NBA etc is run.

Same, but only have to put up with it for this season then LBJ will be gone from Cleveland in the off-season.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Half the players they traded away weren’t reliable.
Wade was name value
Rose was IR staple
Thomas plays defense like a 50yr old out of shape desk jockey

They got guys that can play and will compete. Having that compete desire is what makes them much better

That just means they're better than the 7-10 monstrosity we've seen in 2018.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Don't want him - we've got the best bench in the league and why would we want to **** up that chemistry? He doesn't make us substantially better.

Presumably you'd be moving off of JV and he'd be a starter. No matter how you cut it, somebody if not two bodies aren't going to see much of the floor come playoff time. I don't think it happens at all but I'd need to see the deal before I was able to really form an opinion on it

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I think I post this every year so here we go....how does Cleveland manage to trade and get whoever they want every year. And how do they always fit this under the cap? They do this every year and it's starting to really drive me nuts how the NBA etc is run.

I'm no expert by any means. But I would say there are a few reasons:

1. I don't think LeBron's salary counts against the cap. Hasn't he been signing one year deals and that gives them "Bird" rights, which means he doesn't count against the cap.
2. They traded Isiah Thomas, who was supposed to be their number 2. He was hurt and not very good this year, but from a cap perspective it would be similar to the Raptors trading out Kyle Lowry. A move like that would allow the Raptors to bring back big salaried players.
3. They pay the luxury tax penalty. I saw on Twitter their tax penalty could be as high as $50 million. I really don't understand how it all works, but I do know if your ownership doesn't mind paying the tax - it gives your team more flexibility.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
I'm no expert by any means. But I would say there are a few reasons:

1. I don't think LeBron's salary counts against the cap. Hasn't he been signing one year deals and that gives them "Bird" rights, which means he doesn't count against the cap.
2. They traded Isiah Thomas, who was supposed to be their number 2. He was hurt and not very good this year, but from a cap perspective it would be similar to the Raptors trading out Kyle Lowry. A move like that would allow the Raptors to bring back big salaried players.
3. They pay the luxury tax penalty. I saw on Twitter their tax penalty could be as high as $50 million. I really don't understand how it all works, but I do know if your ownership doesn't mind paying the tax - it gives your team more flexibility.

Its def more complicated than that. Trades have to be within a certain range of each other in salary terms. Which means you basically have to match salaries in every trade but yes the Cavs are a tax team. They pay a very high tax. Bird rights don't mean that his cap doesn't count, it means they can resign him, or any other bird player, regardless of where the cap is (under the hard cap). That doesn't work the other way around though. So you cannot subtract his cap when signing other players if you are at the cap, only when dealing with him.

Basically there are other exemptions too that let you go over the soft cap. Like vet minimum salaries and a host of others. Most of them are only worth < 5 mil or so. Raps will probably be looking at that after the deadline themselves. There is a hard cap though and there is no getting around that. Also the cap penalties increase if you are into the tax in consecutive years.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Hill helps a lot. But it's still just Lebron & co.

Nothing really has changed.

"A lot better" is a stretch.

Yeah, after looking at some of the numbers, I've calmed down quite a bit. Still think the Cavs got better a fair bit, but we'll have to wait and see how the new players do in their lineup.

I'm happy Raptor killer Frye is gone, but they've gotten a better one in Hill (even though he hasn't been great this season). Hill will help them a lot in terms of defence and 3 point shooting. Wade is meh and Clarkson isn't the greatest either, but should help provide some scoring. Same with Hood. Nance Jr. is a great defensive player and might be their best acquisition. He'll help them a lot defensively.

Heres' the outgoing and incoming players' RPM, fwiw:

OUTIN
IT: -4.27Hill: -1.92
Wade: -0.29Clarkson: -0.69
Crowder: -2.7Nance Jr.: 2.09
Frye: 1.28Hood: -3.33
Shumpert: -1.48
Rose: -3.59
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
To me, Cavs are better because their room was cancer and this hits the reset on that. Absolutely none of those players scare me though and while a little younger and athletic, Lebron is still gonna have to basically do everything which keeps them in the same spot as they were in the beginning. Personally, I think it's going to take them a long time to get settled and Love is gonna have to find a way to fit back in real fast going right into the playoffs. If anyone can carry a bunch of scrubs to the finals though its Lebron so who knows.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
To me, Cavs are better because their room was cancer and this hits the reset on that. Absolutely none of those players scare me though and while a little younger and athletic, Lebron is still gonna have to basically do everything which keeps them in the same spot as they were in the beginning. Personally, I think it's going to take them a long time to get settled and Love is gonna have to find a way to fit back in real fast going right into the playoffs. If anyone can carry a bunch of scrubs to the finals though its Lebron so who knows.

It hits the reset, but there's no guarantee it solves anything. For all we know LeBron is the real issue now. Or it's him and Love (who's still around). Plus there's the fact that whatever there is to be said for chemistry and the intangibles side of things, it's not an easy task to simply turn over half of your roster and integrate like 4 or 5 new heavy rotation guys into a lineup. From a technical/mechanical standpoint they could continue to struggle for a couple of weeks, and by that point perhaps the hole becomes too deep to climb out of.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Was gonna say watch Coboclo go to Sacramento and become another Giannis, but to anyone who has watched him play wouldn't fall for it since he looks like he doesn't really know how to play basketball. Looks like that random guy at the gym who joins a pick up game and is just there to make it 5v5. It's sad actually, because he has such good tools to become a great player.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Yeah, after looking at some of the numbers, I've calmed down quite a bit. Still think the Cavs got better a fair bit, but we'll have to wait and see how the new players do in their lineup.

I'm happy Raptor killer Frye is gone, but they've gotten a better one in Hill (even though he hasn't been great this season). Hill will help them a lot in terms of defence and 3 point shooting. Wade is meh and Clarkson isn't the greatest either, but should help provide some scoring. Same with Hood. Nance Jr. is a great defensive player and might be their best acquisition. He'll help them a lot defensively.

Heres' the outgoing and incoming players' RPM, fwiw:

OUTIN
IT: -4.27Hill: -1.92
Wade: -0.29Clarkson: -0.69
Crowder: -2.7Nance Jr.: 2.09
Frye: 1.28Hood: -3.33
Shumpert: -1.48
Rose: -3.59
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Looks right to me. Its important to note that only one of the players they acquired would be able to crack the Raptors playoff rotation. Which tells you something about the Raptors.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Bruno will be released by the Kings. I expect the same for Vince Carter and Joe Johnson if they arent traded. And if they are released i expect the Raps are after both and hope we get Johnson, no interest in Vince.

This!

We gotta get Joe somehow - a third scoring option behind DD and Kyle would make a huge difference in the playoffs where other teams are always running the ball out of DD's hands.

Serge is not that answer, Joe is.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It hits the reset, but there's no guarantee it solves anything. For all we know LeBron is the real issue now. Or it's him and Love (who's still around). Plus there's the fact that whatever there is to be said for chemistry and the intangibles side of things, it's not an easy task to simply turn over half of your roster and integrate like 4 or 5 new heavy rotation guys into a lineup. From a technical/mechanical standpoint they could continue to struggle for a couple of weeks, and by that point perhaps the hole becomes too deep to climb out of.

Agreed. As a Raps fan, I'm not exactly quivering in my boots after today.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Raptors gain flexibility in deadline trade of Caboclo - Article - TSN
Without the means to go out and make a significant deal, the waiver wire will be a more feasible way of adding some veteran insurance to a deep, albeit young, roster and maybe addressing the team's biggest need: shooting.

Richardson, 22, is a long, athletic wing player with some range in his jumper. He won't factor into the rotation this year and should spend the bulk of his time with the 905, but is under contract for next season (and the year after if the Raptors choose to extend him a qualifying offer).

The Raptors drafted Caboclo with the 20th-overall pick in 2014. The Brazilian forward was a blank slate at the time, coming to North America without much experience in the sport and still learning the language. While his upside was purely theoretical, Masai Ujiri was enamoured with his physical tools – a 7-foot-7 wingspan and limitless athleticism.

However, he only played in 25 NBA games over four seasons, logging just 113 total minutes. Although he's made strides, particularly as a defender in the G-League, he hasn't developed in the way Toronto was hoping.

Caboclo will be a free agent this summer. It's been reported that the Kings intend to release the 22-year-old, which would allow him to sign a G-League contract and enter the player pool. Whether the 905 could acquire him would depend on their waiver priority.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If Vince Carter is released, I’d bring him back for the playoff run.

Joe Johnson would be even better, but we’ll have some competition on getting him should he be released.

How are we in roster room?

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Belinelli, VC and Frye would all be good targets for us imo.

Not sure about JJ. I'm not sure his playing style fits with our team, although it would be nice to have another shot creator on the team. He's been really bad this season, but I'm sure his play would step up playing for a contender.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
i feel like the kings made that deal as a favour to VC so he could sign with the raptors.

would be cool to see him with the team.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Raptors have a chance to get even with Celtics tonight - they are leading and I hope Boston is going to lose

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Why do teams buyout players this late in the season? They have to pay them anyways...wasted money.

Thanks

The 2018 NBA trade deadline has officially come and gone, and it was a busy one. The Cavs traded half their team, the Knicks, Nuggets and Mavs swung a three-team deal, and a number of other smaller deals went down.

But now, the focus will turn to the final method of player acquisition this season: The buyout market. Every season, veterans on bad teams are waived, and there are always numerous playoff teams waiting in the wings to bolster their rosters for the stretch run. This season figures to see a busy buyout market. Teams have until March 1 to sign a player in order for them to be eligible for the postseason roster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad