Raptors Discussion: v70| It's off-season time (pre-season vs LAC from Hawaii: Sun Oct 1 @ 10pm ET/7pm PT | SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
When you see your club beginning to pump out coveted managers and coaches, you know you're going in a good direction. So many terrible terrible front offices in the NBA

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Can someone explain the shenanigans and deal cut by the Miami heat and Chris bosh? Frees up tonnes of cap space.

How does the league and union agree on this ****. The NBA is unbelievable with their side deals, mind boggling CBA etc.

Crazy

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Follow up, I'm partially disabled from work as well. I'd love my company to pay me off and then I can go work somewhere else lol

We're in the wrong business.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Can someone explain the shenanigans and deal cut by the Miami heat and Chris bosh? Frees up tonnes of cap space.

How does the league and union agree on this ****. The NBA is unbelievable with their side deals, mind boggling CBA etc.

Crazy

Seems to fit into what already exists within the CBA maybe with the exception that if he can play again in a year or 2 for someone else, that money doesn't come crashing back onto the Heat. Either way they were getting that cap relief for this season I imagine just based on current exemptions for players with career ending injuries.

I think a major factor of having to work something out here is that the new CBA which comes into effect July 1 and the old one have different rules and kinda sitting in the middle of both atm

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
But they say he can play next year. And still get paid the remaining amount owed from Miami, not effect the cap. And he gets another salary lol. What a dream scenario. Mind you he must find a doctor to give him the thumbs up medically. That's easy enough to find.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
But they say he can play next year. And still get paid the remaining amount owed from Miami, not effect the cap. And he gets another salary lol. What a dream scenario. Mind you he must find a doctor to give him the thumbs up medically. That's easy enough to find.

He needs an NBA chosen panel of doctors to let him play I think. And this scenario is mostly how it would play out under the rules. Normally if he comes back, he would have to play 25 games (with any team) and then the cap hit would come smashing back on the Heat.

I think that if that were the case, the Heat would apply for a different sort of exemption that would still clear their books but would allow for them to stop Bosh from attempting to make a return (think Robidas Island). I think that this is an alright deal to work out given the circumstances and likelihood of him ever playing again.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

the orlando magic will send the toronto raptors a 2018 second-round draft pick as compensation for hiring new president of basketball operations jeff weltman, league sources told the vertical.

orlando will send toronto the least favorable of its own or the los angeles lakers’ pick owed to them, league sources said.

The magic control the lakers’ second-round pick in 2018 as part of the four-team deal that sent dwight howard to los angeles in 2012.

Toronto president masai ujiri is working to replace weltman as raptors general manager, with assistant gm bobby webster a strong candidate to be promoted into the vacancy, league sources said.
toronto promoted weltman to general manager with a significant pay raise a year ago, and ultimately used that as leverage in extracting the draft pick out of orlando. weltman left toronto for orlando to have ultimate decision-making power over basketball operations, which ujiri holds in toronto.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Do we have any money? :(

Sure we do. Depends on how much into the luxury we want to spend. I know fans are used to stingy teachers running MLSE but imho, if it means fielding a top 3 seed every year, this ownership group will probably allow for us to be one of the biggest spenders in the league (psst we already are).

All that matters is signing Ibaka and Lowry last because their Bird rights allow us to go over the soft cap when signing them. I also am fairly convinced JV is going to get moved and maybe even CoJo. We have youth coming in behind both of them and if you are set going forward with Lowry, DD and Ibaka then the more expensive role players need to be moved along.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Oh re. JV It does seem he's not used as much as before. Maybe they think he doesn't fit. Doesn't look like Casey is a fan of his.

He can't defend the pick and roll worth a damn and offensively he occupies the same space on the floor as DD but Demar is almost always the more effective option. Advanced stats show that post-ups are the most inefficient way to score in the game.

What he is great at is rebounding but he isn't a good rim defender either. He will have value for a club that plays different then we do for sure but he doesn't fit into this squad and Ibaka is a more effective 5 all around based on our roster.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Mmm so u think they will try and find a team? Who plays C for us then?

Ibaka most certainly plays 5 next season if he resigns. That is his most effective position.

Only if its off the bench. Which it most certainly would not be. So, no.

That's a horrific defensive wing combination with Demar.

I agree. Maybe start him at the 4 though?

KL
DD
Powell
Gallinari
Ibaka

That squad brings a very different style of play than what we've seen. Spread the floor, decent wing D in Norm and rim protection with Ibaka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->