Raptors Discussion: v70| It's off-season time (pre-season vs LAC from Hawaii: Sun Oct 1 @ 10pm ET/7pm PT | SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I mean, with the way the Cavs shot the three, I do wonder if its worth just keeping two wings who can kind of try to make LeBron work (PJ + one more), and then just absolutely load up on shooters and make it a three point contest.

If DeMar keeps improving as a distributor (a likely scenario to me considering how he keeps improving every year), I think it could be a really effective offense considering he's one of the elite drivers in the league. Just need someone who doesn't immediately freeze the ball when he gets DeMar's pass out of the trap *COUGHSERGECOUGH*

Yup. Run it right through Derozan. If they went into the offseason telling him "you're going to be the primary ball handler" ala Harden, Thomas (the only reason he is a "PG" is his height), Kawhi, George, Antetokounmpo, he'd work his butt off all summer. He's already got the usage%. And imagine how open the lane would be with actual shooters.

You'd definitely need on ball defenders at the 1 and 3 to cover for him since his defense is still...Demarian. I would just use what the Rockets have done as a blueprint, tbh.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Lost interest in the NBA for awhile, it doesn't have to do with Lebron Vs Warriors and Spurs. More to do with the game. IT seems like it is a shooting contest more than anything, there is no nasty and tough defense, pounding down the middle....and it is quite boring. MJ and Magic, as well as others greats did a lot of trash talk but don't think anyone of them will spin the ball and stuff like that in the game. As an opposing team, you can't let someone do that and get away with it. Someone should have just drive right into Lebron on next possession or have a hard foul on him when he drives the basket next. I might be old school, but if Lebron pulls what he did against teams like the Knicks with Starks and Oakley, or Bulls with MJs, or Cavs with Nance, or any teams with Rodman or Barkley, heck even Spurs with Bowen, he would be on the floor crying foul.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Lost interest in the NBA for awhile, it doesn't have to do with Lebron Vs Warriors and Spurs. More to do with the game. IT seems like it is a shooting contest more than anything, there is no nasty and tough defense, pounding down the middle....and it is quite boring. MJ and Magic, as well as others greats did a lot of trash talk but don't think anyone of them will spin the ball and stuff like that in the game. As an opposing team, you can't let someone do that and get away with it. Someone should have just drive right into Lebron on next possession or have a hard foul on him when he drives the basket next. I might be old school, but if Lebron pulls what he did against teams like the Knicks with Starks and Oakley, or Bulls with MJs, or Cavs with Nance, or any teams with Rodman or Barkley, heck even Spurs with Bowen, he would be on the floor crying foul.

That's just how the game has evolved. Teams got smart and realized that the midrange shot is inefficient, while the 3 pointer is where the real value is at.

The NBA is still entertaining to me. :dunno:

Yup. Run it right through Derozan. If they went into the offseason telling him "you're going to be the primary ball handler" ala Harden, Thomas (the only reason he is a "PG" is his height), Kawhi, George, Antetokounmpo, he'd work his butt off all summer. He's already got the usage%. And imagine how open the lane would be with actual shooters.

You'd definitely need on ball defenders at the 1 and 3 to cover for him since his defense is still...Demarian. I would just use what the Rockets have done as a blueprint, tbh.

They do run their offence through Kawhi, but having a legitimate number 2 (LMA sucks), would really help them and help bring the load a bit off of Kawhi. Hill would definitely be a great get though.

As for DeMar, don't know. All the analytics hate him.

As for the playing like Rockets, that's essentially what Casey said he wants to do in his presser today. He kept on emphasizing the role of 3s and how he wanted to rebrand in that direction. It sounds great, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Imagine Jonas camping out for the corner 3. :laugh:

Last edited:

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
Seems like Lowry is gone but if we also move Carroll that leaves us with nearly $65M in cap space if we are rolling with 110M next year. that is essentially room to max two players or add a lot of depth. Exciting summer, main goal is to add a PG though. Jrue and Hill are the two FA PGs I would look at but they're both Injury prone, however they would come at half the price Lowry Paul etc would come at and are younger

Yea if we lose Lowry, Ibaka, Carroll, Patterson and Tucker, we have a lot of capspace, but which FA wants to sign with a gutted Raptors team?

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
You guys already know where he's going. That's got "Colangelo-Uh-oh" written all over it.
Kyle Lowry is from Philly and I'm guessing that he's Colangelo's boy. But why would he go to the Sixers? They suck. 28-54. They won't contend for the playoffs even with Lowry clocking 36+ MPG as their court general, let alone for a ring.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Okay. I will totally admit my virginity when it comes to this sport, but this is something that kind of bugs me and I've said this in regards to hockey a lot.

While I respect the fact that you want to go get a championship (and you know. get paid) - are you seriously going to just leave a team that pretty much treats you like a star.. and come playoff time you turn into a complete ghost - Kyle Lowry? (I was reading in the paper this morning he might opt out, and go to the West. and i am going to assume by West he means San Antonio, Golden State, or somewhere else). but why not be here and help this team be great. Especially when (turned ankle aside) - 9x10 you're barely anywhere to be seen.

i do like what Diamond Joe said. So if they can try to rectify this - I hope they can, but it seems that Masai (and the new GM guy) really needs to crap or get off the pot. Decide to go for it and spend the money to do so - or to start selling assets and get some talent in the draft.
Technically due to (Larry) Bird Rights, the Raptors are allowed to bid more for Kyle Lowry than any other team. He can re-sign for up to 5 years with the Raptors with a raise of up to 8% per year. He can only re-sign up to 4 years with a raise of up to 5% per year with another team. The NBA created this rule so that they could keep Larry Bird in Boston. The NBA wants to encourage superstars to stay with their team because this is more profitable for the NBA. If your superstars are willing to stay, you're more likely to buy their jersey and their shoes. Which translates to more money for the NBA. The NBA is all about marketing.

While the Raptors are allowed to out-bid competitors technically due to the Larry Bird rule, should they though? I don't think so. Kyle Lowry is probably the best point guard the Raptors can realistically acquire at this point. But it might be time to re-shuffle the deck. If the Raptors let Kyle Lowry walk, they probably won't make the playoffs and then they could hopefully draft the best player available (who will net them the PG they need).

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
If they couldn't bring Tucker back I wouldn't mind VC as a backup 3.

Otherwise, no need for him.

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
Yup. KLOW is dunzo! Minnesota could use him... They'd be a scary team.

I'm all for a purge. But I like how you guys keep preaching getting perimeter shooters... If we had Lou Williams/reddick/korver, we'd still be done.

I just think we need to do what the leafs did. Start over and let our good scouts take over! Wright/Powell/JP/Siakum look like good secondary players and they were drafted late. Good Drafting is the key!

First mission: FIRE CASEY!

Last edited:

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Leafs weren't getting into the playoffs with their core, the Raptors are. Raps were also what, the 3rd youngest team at the start of the season? I don't see how ownership would sign off on a scorched-earth rebuild when they're getting what they want. We'll see some bodies shuffle, but I highly, highly doubt they'll clean out and tank.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Tucker at 20 million and Lowry for maybe 40 according to sports announcers. Way too much. Lowry goes missing too often and adding Tucker did not help us much.

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
Leafs weren't getting into the playoffs with their core, the Raptors are. Raps were also what, the 3rd youngest team at the start of the season? I don't see how ownership would sign off on a scorched-earth rebuild when they're getting what they want. We'll see some bodies shuffle, but I highly, highly doubt they'll clean out and tank.

Four years and no title with this core. Either you go for cheap contracts, maybe sign George Hill... Or retool the line-up, or go young., focus on the draft and start a new core.

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
Tucker at 20 million and Lowry for maybe 40 according to sports announcers. Way too much. Lowry goes missing too often and adding Tucker did not help us much.

Masai HAS to go cheap and hope it pans out. Too much money locked up with demar, the rest can go.

I look at the role players, ship them out DC/Patty/CJ/Ibaka.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
That's just how the game has evolved. Teams got smart and realized that the midrange shot is inefficient, while the 3 pointer is where the real value is at.

The NBA is still entertaining to me. :dunno:

They do run their offence through Kawhi, but having a legitimate number 2 (LMA sucks), would really help them and help bring the load a bit off of Kawhi. Hill would definitely be a great get though.

As for DeMar, don't know. All the analytics hate him.

As for the playing like Rockets, that's essentially what Casey said he wants to do in his presser today. He kept on emphasizing the role of 3s and how he wanted to rebrand in that direction. It sounds great, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Imagine Jonas camping out for the corner 3. :laugh:

If you can find someone who still believes in the true 5, then you trade Jonas as soon as you can, and utilize the $15MM towards a stretch four or three. I imagine Jakob will be practicing three point shooting all summer. He's got a good stroke and can easily develop into a Channing Frye minus the old-maness.

And this is one of those analytics be dammed move as you'd essentially be changing his game fundamentally with your sets, and the people around him. He could literally fall into five assists per game (and an A% matching) just having some shooters given how effective he is on the drive. His Vorp and PER would shoot through the roof.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Four years and no title with this core. Either you go for cheap contracts, maybe sign George Hill... Or retool the line-up, or go young., focus on the draft and start a new core.

Four years? For shame. Stockton/Malone had 18 glorious postseason years together and their peak involved them losing 2 finals appearances to the '97-'98 Bulls.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
Kyle Lowry is from Philly and I'm guessing that he's Colangelo's boy. But why would he go to the Sixers? They suck. 28-54. They won't contend for the playoffs even with Lowry clocking 36+ MPG as their court general, let alone for a ring.

Sure without context, 28-54 is bad. But considering where they were last year, they're looking like a team on the rise.

They have two young players with game changing potential, one of which has been touted a future MVP candidate. Add in another high pick in this loaded NBA draft and that suddenly looks enticing.

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
This would be ideal but Casey relies far too much on his veterans. Don't expect much player development with him.

He needs to go. Period. Ujiri would make a big mistake if he keeps him.

The way I look at it: the five year window... Raps have gotten better but they're not a top tier team.

Your core: demar/kyle/jv
Role: DC/cj/patty/ibaka/pj
Secondary: wright/Powell/JO/nogs

Someone pointed out Demar is like Kessel; pro better suited as a complimentary piece, OK then, who do you get?

I'd stick with cheap contracts, work around the role players, focus on draft.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
If you can find someone who still believes in the true 5, then you trade Jonas as soon as you can, and utilize the $15MM towards a stretch four or three. I imagine Jakob will be practicing three point shooting all summer. He's got a good stroke and can easily develop into a Channing Frye minus the old-maness.

And this is one of those analytics be dammed move as you'd essentially be changing his game fundamentally with your sets, and the people around him. He could literally fall into five assists per game (and an A% matching) just having some shooters given how effective he is on the drive. His Vorp and PER would shoot through the roof.

Agreed with trading Jonas. I like JV and think he hasn't been treated well by Casey, but the league is moving away from his type of center and he's not good defensively either. His bulk up a few years ago really took a toll on his game. He used to be so athletic. Now he's slow as hell and his post game hasn't improved too much. His contract should be really easy to move and hopefully, we can get some decent assets out of it.

I have high hopes for Poeltl. I think he can be a good starting C and he's already shown a lot of promise on the defensive end.

Hopefully, Masai can work some magic and trade Carroll's awful contract. Moving him would give us some nice flexibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->