Raptors Discussion: v69| It's no longer playoff time. | Raptors eliminated in 2nd round by Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
Carroll is garbage we all know that but what the hell is wrong with Patterson?

The lack of 3 point shooting is embarrassing

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Carroll is garbage we all know that but what the hell is wrong with Patterson?

The lack of 3 point shooting is embarrassing
The Raptors rank 21st/30 in the NBA in 3 point field goals made per game (22nd in attempts). I wonder what their playoff numbers rank out of 16. lol. Because their 3 point shooting is even worse now.

This is the "3 and D" small ball era. Ujiri is an advanced stats guy right? He should fix this.

Funny thing is Raptors do play small ball quite a lot. But we play small ball with guys who can't shoot 3. DeMarre Carroll a stretch-4? Get the **** outta here. Why is he even a 3 (small forward) or stretch-4 (small ball power forward) to begin with if he can't shoot 3s? lol. 3s and stretch-4s are supposed to have more skill. The fact that our 2/small ball SF (DeMar DeRozan) can't shoot 3s is a joke. He did very well in the regular season even though he has this shortcoming. But when even his 2 point game regresses, the lack of 3 point game is a gaping hole.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The Raptors rank 21st/30 in the NBA in 3 point field goals made per game (22nd in attempts). I wonder what their playoff numbers rank out of 16. lol. Because their 3 point shooting is even worse now.

This is the "3 and D" small ball era. Ujiri is an advanced stats guy right? He should fix this.

Funny thing is Raptors do play small ball quite a lot. But we play small ball with guys who can't shoot 3. DeMarre Carroll a stretch-4? Get the **** outta here. Why is he even a 3 (small forward) or stretch-4 (small ball power forward) to begin with if he can't shoot 3s? lol. 3s and stretch-4s are supposed to have more skill.

How come he did not fix it last summer? It was the same thing last season against the Cavs. They made a bucket load of 3s to bury us.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
This is not a hate Toronto post this is a hate NBA . What is the point of even following a team that has basically no chance to ever win a championship.

The NBA has absolutely no parity superstar players mean way too much it's why hockey is so great it's white baseball is so great it's why football is so great.

The NBA to me is basically boring because you know will make the finals almost every year

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Masai pushed his chips in at the deadline and landed Ibaka & Tucker.

The team still wasn't even close to being good enough to win a championship. It never will be with this core.

I'm sure a lot of fans feel the same way as I do: tear this thing down.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Sell Everyone. Probably the best time to do it with the Leafs picking up steam.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Is Ujiri even the problem or is it just that the Raptors don't have the assets necessary to acquire what they need? Which is the same problem that the Leafs had for years up (Though Burke and Nonis did make things even worse for themselves). What can DeMar DeRozan realistically land in the market? He's a 2/small ball 3 who can't shoot 3s and he has a big salary. He put up great numbers in the regular season despite the lack of 3 game but I don't know what he can get. Kyle Lowry has a player option and from my understanding that means either he re-signs with us or he leaves for free. So we can't use him to restock the cupboard.

I'm not an expert in NBA management. Is it even possible to land a 3 and D guy in unrestricted free agency or on the cheap restricted free agency? In the NHL it's really hard to get what you need from free agency because of the hard salary cap. You need to draft well. And you probably need to tank. In the NBA, tanking has even higher rewards. A dominant player who can play 75% of the game makes a huge difference. Auston Matthews was on the ice for like 30% of our games. The NBA has a soft cap with a luxury tax so you have more leeway to buy your way to victory.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Is Ujiri even the problem or is it just that the Raptors don't have the assets necessary to acquire what they need? Which is the same problem that the Leafs had for years up (Though Burke and Nonis did make things even worse for themselves).

I'm not an expert in NBA management. Is it even possible to land a 3 and D guy in unrestricted free agency or on the cheap restricted free agency? In the NHL it's really hard to get what you need from free agency because of the hard salary cap. You need to draft well. And you probably need to tank. In the NBA, tanking has even higher rewards. A dominant player who can play 75% of the game makes a huge difference. Auston Matthews was on the ice for like 30% of our games. The NBA has a soft cap with a luxury tax so you have more leeway to buy your way to victory.

The only way to win in the NBA is to have a(t least one) true superstar. Ujiri isn't the problem, he built as good a team as was possible to do without tanking (or signing a superstar FA - Toronto isn't exactly the most popular destination for them). That didn't work out, now it's time to try our luck at tanking.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Masai's done a great job.

I would want him to be the architect of the rebuild.

He's done a great job taking the core that BC built and sitting back. He made a big move this year, and it did Jack for them. His drafting has been horrific. I don't know why anyone thinks he's good at building a team.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Yup amazing GM.
Forget it though. Your responding to someone who wants to give JVR a life time contract

Masai is a beauty. Happy to have him.

Cool you like him and his team that gets clowned on their home floor and thinks it's a big accomplishment to lose to Cleveland by less than ten points.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Masai is a great GM and had continued to prove it. His trades have been on the money. Good team builder.
I have no idea why a fan showed up when we got eliminated to tell the narrative to everyone.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Is Ujiri even the problem or is it just that the Raptors don't have the assets necessary to acquire what they need? Which is the same problem that the Leafs had for years up (Though Burke and Nonis did make things even worse for themselves). What can DeMar DeRozan realistically land in the market? He's a 2/small ball 3 who can't shoot 3s and he has a big salary. He put up great numbers in the regular season despite the lack of 3 game but I don't know what he can get. Kyle Lowry has a player option and from my understanding that means either he re-signs with us or he leaves for free. So we can't use him to restock the cupboard.

More than the NHL, you need to tank at the right time and get the next generational player. Easier said than done, but you hope you draft high in a couple deep drafts and then add a piece. Masai committed to a player in DD who is a constant no show in the playoffs and will commit to another "star" who can't stay healthy and has a liar attitude.

Mark my words, the actions taken this summer will lead to a five year odyssey of malaise followed by a long stretch of being bottom of the league once ownership realizes Masai is a snake oil salesmen.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Masai is a great GM and had continued to prove it. His trades have been on the money. Good team builder.
I have no idea why a fan showed up when we got eliminated to tell the narrative to everyone.

Because it's a hockey board and the conversation on here during the year is not worth participating in for the most part. I just spoke the truth about the executive. Has been given a chance and made the team worse. It will continue to get worse as some of the younger teams in the East pass us by.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

He isnt. He built one of the best teams in the Eastern conference and basically gave this franchise success and sustained success.
He has done a masterful job and glad to have him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad