Raptors Discussion: v68| Raptors acquire PF Ibaka for Ross, lesser of TOR/LAC 2017 1st round picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Well the team made the ECF last season. But instead of Biyombo and Scola you have Ibaka, PJ Tucker and a healthy Carroll.

I'd say that's pretty damn encouraging.

Agreed. We were also beat up going into the series with Cavs with various lingering injuries to key core players.

At the very least, if we manage to stay healthy and make it to the ECF again, these moves put us in a much better position to pull off an upset if Cleveland slips up.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Not sure what the definition of a superstar is (everyone has their own) but at worst, he's a top 15 player and probably a borderline top 10 player

theres no set number of how many superstars a league have. when you compare 1v1 Lowry to many of the elite superstars, its an easy other guy

and top 10?

Lebron
Davis
Kahwi
Harden
Durant
Klay
Green
Curry
Derozan
Boogie
IT3
Lillard
Butler
Kyrie
Giannis

hes not top 25 in ppg. hes 11th ni APG and #1 in MPG. and hes a point guard. I'm also a advanced metric guy im just saying for example. not top 10 in assists a game but play 37 mins? not a good look imo.

I love Lowry but ya, hes not a superstar lol. And hed be one on those teams cause theyre hot garbage and overrate players. thats what big markets do. See: Toronto in hockey.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
yet everyone would do Kyrie/IT3 or John Wall 1 for 1 for Lowry right now..

Nah I don't care for flat earthers or mediocre defenders. I'd say Wall and Lowry are pretty similar in terms of impact though, and I'd only take Wall because of age and pedigree. The advantage he has is that he's the best transition player in the league and his vision/playmaking ability is generational. But by taking Lowry off this team you lose the range he possesses and end up with two midrange/slash guards with minimal effectiveness from behind the arc. He works well with Beal and Lowry works well with DD for completely opposite reasons.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Love the move. I imagine we will be closing games with Patterson/Ibaka so we can now put Tucker out there with them to make up for some of the lost rebounding. This roster is much better suited for facing the Cavs now. Would still be an upset to win but it is within the realm of possibility now.

My only concern is Joseph. He has been absolutely horrible this year. Hope the team gives Wright a long hard look before playoffs start.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Love the move. I imagine we will be closing games with Patterson/Ibaka so we can now put Tucker out there with them to make up for some of the lost rebounding. This roster is much better suited for facing the Cavs now. Would still be an upset to win but it is within the realm of possibility now.

My only concern is Joseph. He has been absolutely horrible this year. Hope the team gives Wright a long hard look before playoffs start.

Just think we took the Cavaliers to 6 games with subpar shooting and a injured JV. Although this doesn't mean much now if we can get to the conference finals I feel more confident in this team putting up a fight and stealing some games.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Well the team made the ECF last season. But instead of Biyombo and Scola you have Ibaka, PJ Tucker and a healthy Carroll.

I'd say that's pretty damn encouraging.

Hopefully Lowry can have a much better playoff. Most nights it was quite painful watching him shoot and miss so much. He was injured right?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
torvsbos-web-02242017.jpg

Game Preview: Raptors vs. Celtics
Holly MacKenzie - Raptors.com
Posted: Feb 23, 2017

http://www.nba.com/raptors/gameday-022417

The Raptors kick off their final 25 games of the regular season against the Boston Celtics on Friday at the Air Canada Centre. In addition to getting back into the swing of things post All-Star break, Serge Ibaka is also expected to make his Raptors debut.

Tip-off: 8:00 P.M. ET

Broadcast info: SN1 / SN590
TALKING POINTS

Ibaka set to make Raptors debut

Serge Ibaka became a Raptor a little over a week ago in a trade that brought him to Toronto from Orlando and sent Terrence Ross and a future first-round pick to the Magic. Despite being in town for the team's final game before the All-Star break, Ibaka was not able to suit up, making Friday his expected debut.

Ibaka was pleased that Toronto's schedule allowed him to get in two practice sessions and a morning shootaround with his new teammates before hitting the court for real. While Dwane Casey didn't want to overwhelm the seven-year veteran with information, Ibaka is eager to get things going in Toronto.

[Casey] says it's a lot but I'm going to pick it up quick," Ibaka said. "Just have to learn how to play with the players. Especially on defence, most of the things already know how to do, there's little changes but no big change. Today was my first practice. We're going figure it out. We're going to learn each other."

As Ibaka gets accustomed to a new system, Patrick Patterson has been the teammate to be especially helpful with instruction as the team went through plays during practice Despite just two practices with his new teammate, Patterson is already impressed with what Ibaka has shown.

"With Serge, it's all about plays pretty much, and play calls," Patterson said. "He's a tremendous athlete, he's very smart, IQ, he's played with the best in the league, he's been in crunch time situations so he knows the game of basketball through and through. So with us, it's just about talking to him about where to be on what plays, play calls, understanding certain words and certain schemes and where guys like to be in that set, so when I'm out there on the court with him, it's just talking to him as if we're all playing on the same team, because right now we're playing against each other [during practice], but just like talking to him, each play, where to be each set so that he's comfortable and he knows what to do.

Deadline deal

Toronto's work did not stop after the Ibaka deal. The team announced on Thursday that it had acquired forward P.J. Tucker from the Phoenix Suns in exchange for Jared sullinger, second-round picks in 2017 and 2018 and cash considerations.

Tucker, a 6-foot-6, 245-pound physical forward is averaging 7.0 points, 6.0 rebounds 1.5 steals and 28.5 minutes per game in 57 games with the Phoenix Suns this season. He comes to Toronto for the second time, having been selected 35th overall by the Raptors in the 2006 NBA Draft.

Although Tucker was expected to arrive in Toronto late Thursday night, his status for Friday's game is not known. Masai Ujiri spoke with media following the trade announcement.

"Toughness," Ujiri said about what Tucker brings to Toronto. "I love his toughness. He can defend. He can defend multiple positions. He can shoot the corner three. Toughness. We needed to become a tougher team and I think this helps us. Grit, just play ball. I love that about these two guys [Tucker and Ibaka] added to the guys that we have. I think it helps us with toughness."

Celtics provide tough test

There's no better way to get back into the swing of things than to face the Celtics. Boston is 37-20 on the season and second in the Eastern Conference. The Celtics provide a good test for Toronto, having won the previous meeting between the two teams 109-104 behind a 44-point explosion from All-Star Isaiah Thomas.

Although it will be a good test, Dwane Casey knows it won't be an easy one.

"It's never a good time to have to face Boston, but that's the schedule," Casey said. "I think our guys are focused. Serge can't come in overnight and pick up everything, but what he does pick up will be a huge help. I don't want us to expect 'Hey Ibaka's in, everything is fixed now'. No, we worked on some things for two days now that should help us, but it's on everybody that's dressed and ready to play to do their jobs."

As the team works to integrate new players, Casey and his staff will be breaking down the remaining 25 games into five-game chunks.

"We have to treat these last 25 games like five, five-game series, this is it," he said. "We're going down the stretch and right into the playoffs, it's not going to be easy. We've got to be ready, we have to do it with enthusiasm, passion. Whatever happened the last three weeks is down the drain. We've got to look forward and use these last 25 games to build that momentum. Is it going to be easy? No. Is it going to be perfect? No. But we have to go into it with the passion and confidence and swagger we had the first third of the season.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Hopefully Lowry can have a much better playoff. Most nights it was quite painful watching him shoot and miss so much. He was injured right?

It was painful watching the whole team labour their way through 2 rounds. Like, how do you get blown out in 2 game 6s on the road as a team that won 56 games?

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Yep I think NBA playoffs are way different than regular season. At least last year in the east. I found it so much more grinding, Defense etc.

To me it appeared slower but that could just be me.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Since we're only a few posts from locking the thread and there might be some added interest in tonight's post-deadline game, I'm gonna lock this up now and make a fresh thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad