Raptors Discussion: v68| Raptors acquire PF Ibaka for Ross, lesser of TOR/LAC 2017 1st round picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014

1st round pick...maybe even have to offer 2. We have Delon Wright/Joseph, JV ( if he's on the trade block) I'm not sure what we would have to give up but a line-up of JV, Ibaka, George, DD, Lowry would be up there with the Cleveland's and Golden State's of the world. Thats a title contender right there.

Keeping our 1st rounder this year imo is not worth it. We're going for a title, drafting is important yes but with this core the time us now. We already made a move for Ibaka...ok now make another move for that big SG. I don't care how we do it but just get it done. That line-up is gross

Well yah I totally agree but a late 1st rounder isn't nearly as valubale as say in the NHL. Those 2 first rounders we have will bring in either a project prospect or a rotation player, hardly enough value to bring him in and all those players you're offering are rotation players as well.

Every person ever would trade those 1st round picks for him but the Pacers wouldn't do that.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
It would be a sizable "all-in" package. Probably include all or most of the following pieces.

Powell
Multiple 1sts
Delon
CoJo

Maybe: JV (doubt they want him with Myles Turner)

I'm sure Bird's eyes are focused on Boston right now with that Brooklyn pick in a strong draft year.

JV would undoubtedly have to go. Those are not attractive pieces at all. Unless we go full Brooklyn with unprotected 2021 1st rounders and options to swap.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

toronto - even after addressing their biggest area of need in arguably his boldest move at the helm of the raptors a week ago, masai ujiri isn't done trying to make his team better.

The raptors got their heavy lifting done early, acquiring star power forward serge ibaka from orlando last wednesday, but with the nba trade deadline scheduled for 3pm eastern time on thursday, toronto is still in the market for some added depth on the wing, perhaps a big small forward or another shooter, sources have told tsn.
all that is to say: Don't expect them to make another big move or even give up another veteran rotation player before the off-season. However, if the ibaka deal told us anything it's that ujiri is serious about making a run this year, and balancing out his suddenly lopsided roster may give them a better chance at doing so, even if it takes a more under-the-radar deal to do that.

with ibaka stepping in to fill their starting power forward gig, the raptors' most pressing need is now on the wing, where they will look to add a player that brings some experience, size, toughness and physicality, someone who could serve as insurance for the often-injured demarre carroll and inherit james johnson's old role as the situational 10th man.

In terms of what they could offer for such a player, the expiring contract of the sparingly used and expendable jared sullinger suddenly seems to have some value, at least for salary matching purposes. In addition, they could dangle some of their point guard depth - particularly the intriguing delon wright - one of their young bigs, and/or the late first-round draft pick that remains after the ibaka deal.

Of the names they have been linked to, phoenix's p.j. Tucker may make the most sense, both in terms of fit and expected cost. While a handful of teams are said to have expressed interest in the 31-year-old swingman, the belief is that he could be had for a first-round pick. Although he will be an unrestricted free agent this summer, a team that trades for him would own his bird rights, allowing them to retain his services even if they are over the salary cap (which toronto would be, assuming they re-sign ibaka, kyle lowry and, perhaps, patrick patterson).

denver's danilo gallinari and wilson chandler are costlier options and have also been linked to toronto, though it should be noted that was before the acquisition of ibaka and it's unclear whether or not the raptors are still interested.

Last edited:

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
I'd take either. Just think Chandler is better.

I do too, but I think the cost is probably higher and I have a little concern about durability over the term he has left.

But if we can ship out Cory Joseph as a contract swap as part of the deal then I'd be more on board

Reilly19

Jun 8, 2016
I do too, but I think the cost is probably higher and I have a little concern about durability over the term he has left.

But if we can ship out Cory Joseph as a contract swap as part of the deal then I'd be more on board

I was thinking something around CoryJo, Sullinger, 1st for Chandler, Nelson.

Should be able to move Nelson's contract with one year left at 5 million in offseason and one of Carroll or Chandler. Hopefully Carroll could be the one going.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If there's any chance of George being available, Masai and Co. need to be all over it.

There's no better time than now

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
I've been a big Pacers fan my whole life.

If we lost PG, I don't know if I can handle a full blown rebuild.

I suppose the only solace would be if he went to the Raptors. I still follow the Raps and have a soft spot for them obviously (being canada's team, all my friends are fans, etc).

Having said that, don't kid yourselves guys, it would take JV heading the other way.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
George is the first piece i've heard available that would tempt me to give up JV.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I've been a big Pacers fan my whole life.

If we lost PG, I don't know if I can handle a full blown rebuild.

I suppose the only solace would be if he went to the Raptors. I still follow the Raps and have a soft spot for them obviously (being canada's team, all my friends are fans, etc).

Having said that, don't kid yourselves guys, it would take JV heading the other way.

Raps would gladly trade JV plus more (anyone not named Lowry, DD or Ibaka) for George.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
RealGM Wiretap
Raptors Debating Whether To Trade 1st Rounder For P.J. Tucker, Wilson Chandler

Feb 23, 2017 9:51 AM

http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...ade-1st-Rounder-For-PJ-Tucker-Wilson-Chandler

The Toronto Raptors are considering whether to give up a first round pick in a trade for P.J. Tucker of the Phoenix Suns or Wilson Chandler of the Denver Nuggets.

The Raptors would likely include Jared Sullinger as salary filler in any such deal.

Toronto already traded for Serge Ibaka but Tucker would give Dwane Casey a player capable of playing both the 3 and the 4.

Tucker, who began his career with the Raptors, will be a free agent in the offseason.

Chandler has a player option to become a free agent in 2018.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
RealGM Wiretap
Raptors Debating Whether To Trade 1st Rounder For P.J. Tucker, Wilson Chandler

Feb 23, 2017 9:51 AM

http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...ade-1st-Rounder-For-PJ-Tucker-Wilson-Chandler

The Toronto Raptors are considering whether to give up a first round pick in a trade for P.J. Tucker of the Phoenix Suns or Wilson Chandler of the Denver Nuggets.

The Raptors would likely include Jared Sullinger as salary filler in any such deal.

Toronto already traded for Serge Ibaka but Tucker would give Dwane Casey a player capable of playing both the 3 and the 4.

Tucker, who began his career with the Raptors, will be a free agent in the offseason.

Chandler has a player option to become a free agent in 2018.

I would prefer Chandler, Tucker is a pure rental, I'm not big on giving up a 1st for 2 months + playoff run of Tucker.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
George or Butler is the kind of player the Raptors need in order to put up any kind of challenge vs Cleveland, GSW, San Antonio, etc.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
God I hope Boston doesnt get Jimmy Butler or Paul George.

If they pony up one of the Nets picks they should be able to, imo they'd be stupid not too. They're too good right now to hold onto all of them. Look at Jaylen Brown. No minutes. They should have traded that pick last offseason imo.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Celtics talking to Denver regarding Gallinari. They want a first back. I'd be inclined to do that if I was the Raps, might need to make the salary work though. Still got a year after this one on his contract too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad