Raptors Discussion: V67 | DeRozan puts the ball through the hoop with regularity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Sorry for sounding grumpy, I'm quite miffed at what happened in the election. Anyways what the heck is happening with Bruno? Was that a wasted pick? Time? Effort? Money ? I guess he is still young? But is he improving.

So sad.

No, they gambled on a lottery ticket and didn't win the jackpot. He's a chucker on the offensive end, turnover prone, doesn't see the floor well, lost on defence, basically what it boils down to is that his basketball IQ is just not at the level of his opponents. He's still way too raw to think he can provide rotational minutes in the NBA. However, it's never really a wasted pick when you're in the late first round, and money/time is not an issue for the Raptors. He has tantalizing physical strengths and advantages, but ultimately he just hasn't developed fast enough and likely will never become an adequate NBA player.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
No, they gambled on a lottery ticket and didn't win the jackpot. He's a chucker on the offensive end, turnover prone, doesn't see the floor well, lost on defence, basically what it boils down to is that his basketball IQ is just not at the level of his opponents. He's still way too raw to think he can provide rotational minutes in the NBA. However, it's never really a wasted pick when you're in the late first round, and money/time is not an issue for the Raptors. He has tantalizing physical strengths and advantages, but ultimately he just hasn't developed fast enough and likely will never become an adequate NBA player.

Pretty much this. The NBA draft is a gigantic crapshoot a lot faster than most hockey fans are used to (compared to how often you can find value down the draft board in an NHL draft). The bust rate skyrockets once you usually get outside of the lottery, and by the time you get into the 20s and toward the 2nd round, you're usually lucky if 1 in 6-8 picks turns into a serviceable NBA player.

Bruno was as big of a lottery ticket as was in the draft. He hits and he's a unique talent in the NBA. But it was also highly likely he amounts to nothing.

That said, while he may never be a heavy rotation scorer or the like, it's conceivable he could end up as an alright 3-and-D player if he takes a few more steps forward.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
torvscha-web-111116.png

Game Preview: Raptors @ Hornets
Posted: Nov 11, 2016

Holly MacKenzie - Raptors.com

The Raptors hope to build on an impressive 112-102 road win in Oklahoma City when they face the Hornets in Charlotte on Friday. The Hornets boast an impressive 6-1 record through their first seven games, matching the Cleveland Cavaliers for tops in the Eastern Conference.

Tip-off: 7 P.M. ET

Broadcast info: SN1/TSN1050
TALKING POINTS

Patience paying off for Powell

After playing sparingly in the first three games of the season, Norman Powell has seen his minutes increase as Dwane Casey has called upon him for his defence. With Terrence Ross missing Wednesday’s game against the Thunder because of a sprained index finger, Powell recognized his opportunity and ran with it. In 23 minutes, Powell scored nine points to go with two rebounds and a steal, while giving a spirited effort on defence to go along with his ever-present attack mentality on offence.

“I thought Norm did a good job [against the Thunder].†Casey said. “I thought he came in and attacked some match ups we had. He gives us that third attacker along with Kyle [Lowry] and DeMar [DeRozan].â€

Although he would like to play more like any NBA reserve, Powell understands his role within the team. Where another younger player might find frustration, Powell is calm.

“I have high expectations for myself,†he said. “That’s the long picture for me. I’m not worried about the short term. I’m worried about what’s going to be good for me in the long run, what’s going to be good for this team. That’s me playing my role and being a great teammate, working hard, and bringing energy and effort every day.â€

Healthy Nogueira gives Casey options

Lucas Nogueira had his best effort of the season against the Thunder. Making appearances in the team’s previous two games with Jonas Valanciunas out because of a knee contusion, the big man played 29 minutes on Wednesday, scoring 10 points on a perfect 5-for-5 field goals to go with seven rebounds, a block, two assists and two steals. Nogueira missed the start of the season with a sprained ankle, a disappointing setback after he’d put together a solid preseason. He was ecstatic to be back on the floor for the previous two games.

“Its great,†Nogueira said. “My body feels great. When the game was finished [in Oklahoma City], I still felt a lot of energy, I could still play a bit more. This is great, because I’ve suffered with a lot of injuries the past two years, sometimes tough, sometimes small injuries, but they’ve kept me off the floor. Now I have a chance to play high level and compete healthy, I’m grateful and it’s very special to me.â€

Nogueira being healthy also makes things easier for Casey and the coaching staff, especially when Valanciunas is out of the lineup.

“Speed and quickness, Lucas does a good job of really getting out on some of the speedster point guards,†Casey said. “He did an excellent job [against the Thunder] with covering for our guards. There’s some match ups on the big guys that [Jakob] Poeltl does a good job with …It’s going to be a nightly personnel driven situation.â€

Bench contributions picking up

On more than one occasion already this season, the Raptors bench has come into the game to turn things around when the starters have gotten off to a slow start. Casey and the starting five have praised the reserves for staying ready and always being prepared when they’re called upon.

“I think NBA life is very simple,†Nogueira said. “If you want to stay in the league, you’ve got to do what the coach wants.

This is going to be my third year in the league and we’ve always had a great second unit,†He continued. “Three years straight. I think it’s very important [to have a good bench] to win games and championships. Not every NBA team has a great bench and the Raptors, three years in a row, have had a great bench.â€

Part of why the bench unit has been so solid is that the starters are always available for them to learn from. Ask Powell how he’s made such a solid transition from college to the league and he immediately praises the mentorship of both DeMar DeRozan and Kyle Lowry.

“I’m able to talk to DeMar, talk to him about what he sees, his breakdown, his moves, how he gets his shot off,†Powell said. “It’s great because you have two All-Stars with two totally different offensive skill sets and I’m able to nitpick and take away from each part of their game and the way they score, the way they get their shots. DeMar’s isos, post-ups, Kyle’s coming off screen-and-roll, pick-and-rolls shooting threes, getting in the paint. It’s two totally different styles and I’m able to build around my skill set on the offensive end around those two, talking to them and what they see and just trying to be a student of the game with them and it’s helping my scoring, it helps me make reads when I€™m in the pick-and-roll driving downhill, making me see the extra pass, see helped defence. DeMar is really helping me with my pace on the offensive end and I think it’s paying off.â€

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
See?

I knew I liked Nogueira for the 2nd unit for a reason. He fits with that group athletically and provides some good interior D and rebounding.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Hornets have allowed 95.9 points per 100 possessions so far and the Raps just dropped 58 on them after two. That's back to back top 5 defences that the Raps dropped 62 and 58 on in the opening half.

And now the Raps proceed to suck in the 3rd. Classic.

Last edited:

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Powell should have been in this game much earlier. He is probably our best bet to defend quick guards.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Derozan is playing like a legit clutch performer in crunch time this season. He's looking the part of a max player.

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
I think Coach Casey is taking it slow with JV this season he wants his big to be available when it matters most (playoff) expect lesser minutes for him this season and for the love of God #donotfreebebe.

yup hopefully he doesn't become injury prone such a key piece of the team cant afford to run with Poeltl/bebe long term

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
Nogueira is shooting over 85% on the season. Has he drained anything outside of 9 inches this season?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
torvsnyk-web-111216_huskies.png

Game Preview: Huskies vs. Knicks
Posted: Nov 11, 2016

Holly MacKenzie - Raptors.com

The Raptors return home to take on the Knicks and look to keep things rolling after going 2-0 on their road trip. Things will look a little different at the Air Canada Centre on Saturday, with the Raptors wearing their blue throwback Toronto Huskies uniforms. Toronto comes into the game fresh off a 113-111 victory in Charlotte. The Knicks also played on Friday night, but were on the losing end of a 115-87 decision in Boston against the Celtics.

Tip-off: 7 P.M. ET

Broadcast info:TSN1, TSN4 / SN590
TALKING POINTS

Another game another talented point guard

Raptors head coach Dwane Casey has talked plenty this season about the depth at the point guard position. One night after surviving a 40-point explosion from Kemba Walker in Charlotte, the Raptors will face Derrick Rose and Brandon Jennings with the Knicks.

“The point guard position has a challenge every night,” Casey said. “We just had Russell Westbrook who I think is one of the most forceful guards in the league doing what he does, now Kemba Walker who is one of the quickest guys in the league with the basketball, then [coming up we have] Steph Curry, Derrick Rose, Kyrie Irving. It’s the league of the point guard.”

Not surprisingly, Casey’s solution to how to survive facing off against high-scoring guards, as always, is defence.

“The way you defend the position,” Casey said. “The key thing at the point guard position is which point guard can guard the other one.”

DeRozan shrugging off praise, ready to keep working

It’s beginning to feel routine for DeMar DeRozan to drop 30 points on any given night. Through the first eight games of the season, DeRozan is averaging a league-leading 34.1 points per game. Even more impressive, he’s making 53 percent of his field goals.

After a 34-point performance in Toronto’s comeback victory against the Charlotte Hornets on Friday night, DeRozan was asked about the roll he’s on and how he’s able to continue coming through when his team needs him most.

“I try to play in slow motion,” he said. “And never let somebody else dictate what I do.”

Raptors coach Dwane Casey has repeatedly pointed out that the game appears to have slow down for DeRozan this season. Teammate Kyle Lowry said he’s down to ride DeRozan’s coattails while he’s on this tear, but also discussed how motivated his backcourt mate is to keep improving.

“He’s a different level right now,” Lowry said. “He wants to be the best player he can be and right now he’s proving he’s a hell of a player.”

Lowry also had high words of praise for the team’s reserves who also came up big late in Charlotte.

“Honestly, the players that came in whenever their names are called, they’re willing to do whatever it takes to win,” Lowry said. “Understanding both ends of the floor to help us maximize our full potential out there, it shows. They did a great job.”

Nogueira making an impact

Lucas Nogueira recognized an opportunity when Jonas Valanciunas missed two games with a left knee contusion. Stuck on the bench after recovering from a sprained ankle sustained during the preseason finale, Nogueira knew he needed to earn his place back in the rotation.

With two solid efforts in Valanciunas’ absence, Nogueira got the call on Friday in against the Hornets. His defence late in the fourth allowed Dwane Casey to keep him in the game, and his athleticism, length and mobility are a much-needed asset as the team continues to adjust defensively without former Raptor Bismack Biyombo coming off the bench.

“I thought Lucas did a good job [in Charlotte],” Casey said. “One of the reasons we didn't have JV in [during the fourth was] because Lucas was a bit more mobile, a bit better in the pick-and-roll situations.”

New York Knicks at Toronto Raptors: Saturday preview

Stopping Carmelo Anthony tough test for Raptors defence, even if Jonas Valanciunas plays.

By Doug SmithSports Reporter
Fri., Nov. 11, 2016

https://www.thestar.com/sports/rapt...icks-at-toronto-raptors-saturday-preview.html

AIR CANADA CENTRE

TIPOFF: 7:30 p.m.

TV: TSN

RADIO: Sportsnet 590 The FAN

PROBABLE STARTERS

New York: Derrick Rose, Courtney Lee, Carmelo Anthony, Kristaps Porzingis, Joakim Noah

Toronto: Kyle Lowry, DeMar DeRozan, DeMarre Carroll, Pascal Siakam, Jakob Poeltl

KEY MATCHUP

Anthony vs. Carroll

This is the kind of matchup the Raptors had in mind for Carroll when they signed him in the summer of 2105. Anthony has some offensive help in Porzingis and Rose, but keeping him under control is vital to beating New York.

NEED TO KNOW

Both teams are finishing back-to-backs. The Knicks were in Boston on Friday, with Toronto in Charlotte. . . . Injured Raptors Jonas Valanciunas (knee) and Terrence Ross (finger) returned Friday in Charlotte, but coach Dwane Casey wouldn't commit to each playing in the second game of a back-to-back. . . . It’s the first Huskies night of the Raptors’ season, with throwback jerseys and a new court.

UP NEXT

Tuesday at Cleveland, 7 p.m.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think Coach Casey is taking it slow with JV this season he wants his big to be available when it matters most (playoff) expect lesser minutes for him this season and for the love of God #donotfreebebe.

I did not watch this game but what's wrong with Bebe? Every time I see him play, he looks like a fine rotation player. I don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad