Raptors Discussion: v59 | Round 1 continues vs Indiana | Game 7 8PM Tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Why so pessimistic? The run of being a joke has to end sometime. I am telling you that if the Raptors lose tomorrow, fans should show up with paper bags over their heads for games next season. No matter what happens in the off season. A loss would be unacceptable. Period. I think the Raptors win this. Enough of being a punchline. They will play angry, and will win by 10+

This just feels a like a repeat of 2 years ago. That's all. Trust me, I'd love nothing more than to blow Indy out tomorrow. And you know what, given how both teams stack up on paper and what DeMar and Lowry are capable of, we really should. Hell, this shouldn't even be a series if they play up to their potential, regardless of George's heroism. It's just they haven't. They haven't this series (apart from one game each), they did not last year, and only neither really did in 2014 either (with a few decent games). It's just hard to rev myself up.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
How competitive are we really though?

We sure don't look like. 56 win team.

To answer your question though, yes it is completely worth it. Need superstars and we have none

Wiggins is no superstar. And he has not proven that he can be one. I don't see it.

Koto

May 3, 2011
well thanks a bunch tsn for finally putting the thunder spurs game on...got to watch 3 minutes of the good players before all the deep bench players came in.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Who cares about a 56 win team that can't even make it out of the 1st round?

Pretty sure most fans care to see their team in the first round. Toronto Raptors merchandising is also doing pretty good.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Wiggins is no superstar. And he has not proven that he can be one. I don't see it.

He took a big step with his shooting after the AS break this season. Defence needs to be better but the team was still better with him on the court. KAT was definitely the bigger presence and could probably end up being the better player, but Wiggins still has that superstar potential for sure.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Yes, the Raptors can offer the best contract for Demar, but it rarely leverages into something good. Maybe a lottery protected pick.

Whoever suggested Russell in return if he goes to LA is dreaming.

Would they get a trade exception from a S&T?

Are trade exceptions still a thing?

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
He took a big step with his shooting after the AS break this season. Defence needs to be better but the team was still better with him on the court. KAT was definitely the bigger presence and could probably end up being the better player, but Wiggins still has that superstar potential for sure.

Probably? KAT is miles ahead of Wiggins already.

54.5/34.1/81.1 slashes as a 7-0 center is astounding. Averaged a double-double with 22.5 PER. Wiggins is completely one-dimensional right now and he's not even that efficient at it.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
Would they get a trade exception from a S&T?

Are trade exceptions still a thing?

They would, but they are seldom used I think. If the return was just a draft pick, I think they would get a 25 million trade exception? That's of course if DD gets the max.:laugh:

cwulf

Dec 7, 2015
Pretty sure most fans care to see their team in the first round. Toronto Raptors merchandising is also doing pretty good.

So as long as you make the playoffs despite no chance of making noise, and merch sales are good, you're happy. Tells me all I need to know.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

54.5/34.1/81.1 slashes as a 7-0 center is astounding. Averaged a double-double with 22.5 PER. Wiggins is completely one-dimensional right now and he's not even that efficient at it.

I said he was, I was referring to career wise with that statement.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
So as long as you make the playoffs despite no chance of making noise, and merch sales are good, you're happy. Tells me all I need to know.

No, I am happy when the Raptors tank and win 12 games in order to have a chance to draft Andrew Wiggins who can't pass or rebound.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I bet Drake would be stoked about tanking. The atmosphere in T-dot would be electric too. Fans giddy in anticipation of the upcoming draft. "Hope we lose all the games this year," some are overheard saying.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

Seriously. Wiggins is an athletic freak, but he just doesn't really have the will and the heart. I just don't see the same drive and desire in him I see in actual stars, even modest and humble ones like Duncan and KD, who bust their ***** off. He more than has the talent and gifts, the heart just isn't there.

It's so frustrating watching a guy like him float around quite a lot and then electrify you for a few possessions and show you what he's really capable of when he wants to be. Just look at how hard he plays against Cleveland (with the motivation of having been traded away) and how well he's played against them in his career. And then look at him against a lot of other teams.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
I bet Drake would be stoked about tanking. The atmosphere in T-dot would be electric too. Fans giddy in anticipation of the upcoming draft. "Hope we lose all the games this year," some are overheard saying.

I'm so happy you like watching this team of regular season superstars get embarrassed every playoffs.

This team stinks and will continue to stink until some smart basketball decisions are made regarding Lowry, Casey and demar NoShowzan

It's fans like you who stop teams from going through real rebuilds. Raps never did one and now look, about to be embarrassed for the 3rd year running

Btw, who the **** cares about drake and his fake ass self?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
raps-2016playoffs-preview-web_0.jpg

Game 7 Preview: Raptors vs. Pacers

Posted: May 01, 2016

By Holly MacKenzie & Matt Tierney

Tonight we find out who will be advancing to the second round with a deciding Game 7 at Air Canada Centre. The Raptors were unable to close out the series Friday night in Indiana and will have another shot to win their first seven-game series in franchise history. The last time these tho teams played in Toronto resulted in a thrilling fourth quarter comeback by the Raptors after trailing as many as 17 points. The Square will once again be open to fans two hours prior to tip-off.

Tip-off - 8pm
Doors open - 6:30pm
Broadcast info: SN | TSN1050 Radio | NBA on TNT
Ford Fanzone open: 6pm
Pregame Show: 6:30pm on NBATV Canada

startinglineups-050116.jpg

Seven months ago, the Toronto Raptors wrapped their first day of training camp. Every day since then the team has worked and prepared for the postseason. Returning to Toronto after a disappointing Game 6 loss to Indiana with Game 7 set for 8 P.M. ET, the Raptors feel that earning the opportunity to play a series-deciding game on your home floor is what the regular season was about.

"It’s win or go home and that’s the difference [of a Game 7],” Raptors head coach Dwane Casey said. “This is the finale of this series and we’re going into this one with confidence on our home court. That’s why you compete and fight for 82 games. Bottom line: we’ve earned the right to have home court. We have it for a reason.”

For the past year Kyle Lowry and DeMar DeRozan have worked for this: an opportunity to advance to the second round after first-round exits in each of the last two seasons. While there are lessons to be learned from those postseason experiences, this is a different team.

“It’s a lot different,” DeRozan said. “Two years ago we were playing against the most veteran team you could assemble. [That team] versus a bunch of guys who never even tasted the playoffs. And you know, we grew a lot from then. And this time around the feelings are different. We’re in a different position. But it’s a new challenge for us. It’s been a long six games of this series, now it’s an opportunity in Game 7 to put everything together that we probably were struggling with. Just put it all together. You know, the last six games don’t matter. Tomorrow night matters.”

Casey spoke with his players about the importance of coming out and focusing on Sunday. Not on what happened in Game 1 or Game 3 or Game 6 or anything in between. Each contest being so different than the last makes it easier to hit the reset button and let everything else go out the window.

“One: let’s go in with a clear head,” Casey said. “Second, I said [this] in the meeting [with the team]: Push the reset button. Flush what’s happened in this series. You’ve got to go out and do what you did for 82 games [during the regular season]. You played at a high level, you played to your personality. Don’t worry about what’s happened in this series. Just come out and stick with the process and our identity: playing hard, defence first and sharing the ball on offence. Stick with it. Third: stay together. Don’t fragment, don’t listen to the noise. Play for the guy sitting next to you and stick with him. He’s the most important guy.”

Every player in Toronto’s locker room understands what’s at stake on Sunday night. Win or start the offseason. Win or spend the summer thinking about what ifs. Lowry said he was glad there’s only one day between Games 6 and 7, and that the rest of his day will be about clearing his mind and then preparing at night. With an 8 P.M. start, guys can stick to their usual game-day schedules and just shift things ahead 30 minutes. DeRozan, the longest tenured Raptors player, said that he will spend tomorrow’s drive to the arena thinking about the game and going over what needs to be done.

Despite the pressure that comes along with Game 7, DeRozan isn’t taking the opportunity for granted.

Lowry said Saturday’s practice session was positive and that players were attentive and engaged going over film and looking at things they can clean up. In an up and down series, he’s glad the final meeting between the two teams will be played on the Air Canada Centre court.

“We played 82 games to have this advantage,” Lowry said. “Homecourt, our fans, we already know what our fans are going to be like tomorrow and we’re going to need it. We’re going to need them disruptive, we’re going to need them loud, we’re going need them passionate, we’re going to need everything from them no matter what happens in the game. We’re going to need them to support us at all costs.”

For Casey, the biggest thing is ensuring his team plays with purpose from opening tip until final buzzer.

“Bring to the table what you have brought to the table for 82 plus games during the season,” he said. “Don’t overthink it. Do what you do. If you are a rebounder, rebound. If you are a scorer, shoot it. Don’t overthink it. Most of all bring your hard hat and work boots and play hard. That is one thing you can control, how hard you play and how hard your motor is going for 48 minutes - not 24, not 36, but for 48.”

Throughout this series, DeRozan has talked about the beauty of the game and playoff basketball. Shortly before he exited the BioSteel Centre media room on Saturday afternoon, he was asked about finding beauty in a series that has been filled with so many twists and turns.

Raptors-Indiana Pacers: Sunday’s Game 7 preview

The Raptors are 1-3 all-time in series-deciding games, including five and seven-game series.

By: Chris O’Leary Sports Reporter, Published on Sat Apr 30 2016

AIR CANADA CENTRE

Tipoff: 8 p.m.

TV: Sportsnet

Radio: TSN 1050

Probable starters:Toronto — Kyle Lowry, DeMar DeRozan, DeMarre Carroll, Patrick Patterson, Jonas Valanciunas. Indiana — George Hill, Monta Ellis, Paul George, Myles Turner, Ian Mahinmi.

Key matchup: Raptors vs. the Ghosts of Raptors past.

Paul George has been exceptional in this series, but with each loss and with each underwhelming performance from key Raptors players it has become clear they are dealing with more than what’s on the court. Sunday will be Kyle Lowry and DeMar DeRozan’s chance to leave their team’s legacy of playoff failure behind them.

Need to know: The Raptors are 1-3 all-time in series-deciding games, including five and seven-game series . . . The Raptors had 17 turnovers turn into 20 points on them in Game 6 . . . Through Friday’s games, Pacers rookie centre Myles Turner was tied for the playoff lead in blocked shots with 19. He blocked four shots in Game 6 . . . Monta Ellis has the post-season lead in steals, with 15 . . . The Raptors are 14th in playoff scoring, with 92.8 points per game . . . Cory Joseph’s field goal percentage has jumped from 43.9 per cent in the regular season to 60.5 in the playoffs.

Up next: That is to be determined.

Leaf of the Mind

BABS WAS BOB
Feb 6, 2015
No matter what happens tonight the team is at a crossroads, and I'm feeling pretty good about it. There's no need for hysterics. I don't understand this idea that going scorched earth with a fixation on a singular "superstar" is exactly what we should should do here.

Garnett lost eight straight first round series and what have the Timberwolves done since then? If we blow it up, we may wander in the wilderness for another generation. McGrady never made it out of the first round, the Rockets now have Harden and Howard but they are out of the playoffs again this year.
Should the Clippers deal Griffin and CP3 for peanuts because they can't get it done either? Noone would doubt Anthony Davis, KD and Westbrook are superstars but there's more talk than ever now of those guys eventually walking from the teams who drafted them. Even Lebron struggled with the Cavs the first go round, he hasn't proven anything in the playoffs without two other stars and a host of roleplayers around him. All superstars, all not enough.

I'd rather stay synonymous with winning, and see if we can retool until we find the right mix of players, than go back to the lottery. We could end up with a lemon like Bargs again, and it would have been for nothing.
If we were loaded with terrible contracts and injury prone nonproductive guys, I'd be for blowing it up. But we're not.

By accumulating assets and making good value contracts we have as much chance of landing star players through trades/signings than we do through the lottery. There's way too much potential and talent on this team to burn it down for a small shot at #1.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Actually yes, there's been huge contemplation surrounding the Clippers future. They know CP3 won't re-sign and there's a likelihood Griffin will leave too.

Leaf of the Mind

BABS WAS BOB
Feb 6, 2015
Actually yes, there's been huge contemplation surrounding the Clippers future. They know CP3 won't re-sign and there's a likelihood Griffin will leave too.

I've heard Griffin linked to one of Boston's high picks. I'm sure most of us would easily exchange both of them for Lowry and DD but my point is that wouldn't necessarily mean we would be any more successful. When you see the care with which Masai has made the team competitive without any major loss of assets, it makes me think that we should push on and add, rather than destroy.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
My feeling is that tonight's winner will be the team that f***s up the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad