Raptors Discussion: v51 | Wizards up 1-0 | ECQF Game 2 vs Wizards: Tues, April 21st @ 8:00 PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
All in all I can't stand the way this team is coached, and no I'm not making excuses, we played like **** and we deserved to lose. But Dwane Casey....he makes some mind boggling decisions. I don't see how he is back next year if we get eliminated by Washington. He's not coaching to the team's strength. How does JJ not get a single minute in this game?

That rebounding problem wouldn't have been as bad if JV got more minutes, but nope, gotta go small and **** everything up! :facepalm:

JJ's ass stapled to the bench in a 53 minute game where Pierce is going off and Ross is playing terrible? Inexcusable.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I love that Michael Grange's defence of no minutes for James Johnson was essentially "the coach did this, so he must've had a good reason."

It was "yeah, he passes the on-paper test. Yeah, he passes the basic & advanced stats test. Yeah, he passes the eye test. All the evidence says that James Johnson would've helped. But Casey didn't do that so you have to respect his decision since he would've had his reasons for not playing him."

Can you imagine trying to use that excuse in the real world?

"No, boss. I didn't file those reports. I know it's company policy to do them and senior management uses them for making decisions, and it really wouldn't have taken any extra effort to get them done and submit them. But I just wasn't feeling like they were necessary today so I didn't do them. And you have to respect my decision not to."

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Pretty funny how JJ was brought in this season almost EXCLUSIVELY to shut down guys like Paul Pierce and Joe Johnson. It was those 2 that burned the Raps last year in the playoffs too. So he doesn't even get a sniff and all the while Ross was playing like garbage and we were rebounding like crap.

This team man... lol... SMH.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
I love that Michael Grange's defence of no minutes for James Johnson was essentially "the coach did this, so he must've had a good reason."

It was "yeah, he passes the on-paper test. Yeah, he passes the basic & advanced stats test. Yeah, he passes the eye test. All the evidence says that James Johnson would've helped. But Casey didn't do that so you have to respect his decision since he would've had his reasons for not playing him."

Can you imagine trying to use that excuse in the real world?

"No, boss. I didn't file those reports. I know it's company policy to do them and senior management uses them for making decisions, and it really wouldn't have taken any extra effort to get them done and submit them. But I just wasn't feeling like they were necessary today so I didn't do them. And you have to respect my decision not to."

Spot on.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Pretty funny how JJ was brought in this season almost EXCLUSIVELY to shut down guys like Paul Pierce and Joe Johnson. It was those 2 that burned the Raps last year in the playoffs too. So he doesn't even get a sniff and all the while Ross was playing like garbage and we were rebounding like crap.

This team man... lol... SMH.

This is the most infuriating part. He was bought specifically for what you described, yet he still doesn't play.

Is Casey too stupid to realize that by just playing JJ, he can save his job?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I haven't always liked all the bagging on Casey because sometimes it feels like the coach's criticism is just a reflection of the team as a whole (when the Raptors were rolling last season, Casey was a genius apparently and deserved some Coach of the Year votes), but it feels like when he makes bad decisions, he doesn't make them for the right reason. If he had said that he didn't put JJ in because he thought they needed to run with Ross, or wanted to play DeMar at the 3 for some reason, or whatever. that's fine. It might be wrong, but at least he had a conviction. But it feels like too often his reason for doing stuff is to shrug and say "I just didn't."

He didn't play JJ today because "his time will come." That's not a reason.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Guards and wings: 19-63 (30.2%)
Bigs: 16-29 (55.2%)

Raptors basketball!

Welll uhhhh. three point line uhhh foul trouble uhhh big V doesnt know how to get open

seriously though. The raptors best offensive players are probably recognized as Lou, DD and Lowry. On the bench im guessing Vasquez is the best player?

Last edited:

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Luckily, it's a 7 game series. Their bench won't produce like that every night, and ours won't be that bad every night. Tuesday we'll show up! :yo:

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Ujuri fined $35,000, Raptors organization fined $25,000 for using obscene language in a public setting.
lol

**** the NBA

rain_gif.0.gif

mikebel111*

NBA hates the Raptors. isn't a GM allowed to get excited ever? but no "keep it professional"!

RiceCooker

"We Got Some Looks"
Mar 6, 2007
Home !!
So we're the only home team to lose game 1 so far in the playoffs...haha, mentally weak team and an idiot coach.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
If Fields' elbow wasn't ruined he'd theoretically provide offensive spacing (Ross' role) and solid defense/rebounding (JJ's role) at the 3. That rookie season in NY he was 39% from range and averaged 6.4 boards a game.

Half our rebounding problem came from the guards not chipping in. Lowry and DD combined for 19 boards, which is great, but Lou/Ross/GV only had 10 boards in twice as many combined minutes. Once Lowry fouled out we only had one of 3 guards/wings able to competently rebound, and we definitely saw the repercussions of that in the 4th and OT.

AnAceOfKidneys

May 2, 2014
Ujuri fined $35,000, Raptors organization fined $25,000 for using obscene language in a public setting.

until the team actually wins something, I think both the players and especially the GM should keep their mouths shut. Listening to these guys talk **** when the organization has never won anything is embarrassing. Plus it's baaad karma.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shwaguy*

until the team actually wins something, I think both the players and especially the GM should keep their mouths shut. Listening to these guys talk **** when the organization has never won anything is embarrassing. Plus it's baaad karma.

No way, they should keep doing it. It's fun. And there's no such thing as karma. See: Yesterday's lottery.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shwaguy*

We never have anything to get excited about in Toronto Sports ever, may as well have some fun with what we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad