Utica Comets relocating to Abbotsford, Binghamton Devils to Utica

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Actually when Abbostsford begins, it will be 9 MT/PT teams. Then Palm Desert makes it 10.

It gets complicated cause 3 teams needs to switch divisions to really even things out
2 from pacific then 1 from central into one of the two eastern divisions.

I don't think AHL really wants to go 9x8x8x7 or 10x7x8x7 either.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What is STL doing for their AHL club? They lost the San Antonio Rampage affiliation and this season, they split Utica with Vancouver. Now, NJ is moving to Utica. So, where does that leave STL?

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
What is STL doing for their AHL club? They lost the San Antonio Rampage affiliation and this season, they split Utica with Vancouver. Now, NJ is moving to Utica. So, where does that leave STL?
They are still affiliated with the Springfield Thunderbirds they where just inactive for 20-21. Tom Stillman has said multiple times the current blues ownership is not interested in being a owner/operator of a AHL club.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Springfield, SH... one of the three that opted out, the issue is the AHL requiring all teams to be represented like it's an All Star Classic where each team/member club legally has to be represented.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Sucks that we're going to lose the very nice Comets branding to surely be replaced by the awkward-ass U-Devils branding.

The NJ Devil is such a good logo and it looks so f***ing dumb when applied to their AHL clubs. At least Utica will retain AHL hockey.

Abbotsford...well, at least it's the correct affiliate to give them a chance at attracting fans this time. That'll go a good way to make up for the travel this time around.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Sucks that we're going to lose the very nice Comets branding to surely be replaced by the awkward-ass U-Devils branding.

The NJ Devil is such a good logo and it looks so f***ing dumb when applied to their AHL clubs. At least Utica will retain AHL hockey.

Abbotsford...well, at least it's the correct affiliate to give them a chance at attracting fans this time. That'll go a good way to make up for the travel this time around.
apparently not.....

it appears MVG is retaining the Comets brand

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
apparently not.....

it appears MVG is retaining the Comets brand

Oh damn, that makes me far happier than it has any business doing :laugh:

It's just a good minor league brand in my eyes. Nothing that needs to be preserved at all costs or anything, just far more appealing to me than [Insert City Here] [Insert Parent Club Nickname Here].

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Oh damn, that makes me far happier than it has any business doing :laugh:

It's just a good minor league brand in my eyes. Nothing that needs to be preserved at all costs or anything, just far more appealing to me than [Insert City Here] [Insert Parent Club Nickname Here].
Trade off, though.... Bridgeport's going the opposite way as Adam reported yesterday.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
The first incarnation of Abbotsford AHL team had no chance because no one wanted to cheer for the Flames and if done right the Abbotsford AHL team has an opportunity to create a winning name/logo combination

Also, at the time, Abbotsford was over a thousand miles away from their nearest opponent.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
ONly thing i am trying to figure out is what will the AHL do with alignment especially when Seattle's AHL joins

Pacific: Abbotsford, Bakersfield, Henderson, Ontario, Palm Springs, San Diego, San Jose, Stockton
Central: Chicago, Colorado, Iowa, Manitoba, Milwaukee, Rockford, Texas, Tucson
North: Belleville, Cleveland, Grand Rapids, Laval, Rochester, Syracuse, Toronto, Utica
Atlantic: Bridgeport, Charlotte, Hartford, Hershey, Lehigh Valley, Providence, Springfield, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton

Fairly cut and dry if you ask me.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Pacific: Abbotsford, Bakersfield, Henderson, Ontario, Palm Springs, San Diego, San Jose, Stockton
Central: Chicago, Colorado, Iowa, Manitoba, Milwaukee, Rockford, Texas, Tucson
North: Belleville, Cleveland, Grand Rapids, Laval, Rochester, Syracuse, Toronto, Utica
Atlantic: Bridgeport, Charlotte, Hartford, Hershey, Lehigh Valley, Providence, Springfield, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton

Fairly cut and dry if you ask me.

There's no legitimate reason for Tucson to be put in the Central other than wE nEeD eVeN dIvIsIoNs. Since this is a development league, put them in the Pacific and do what they did before when divisions were uneven. If the 5th place team in the Pacific has a better points percentage than the 4th place team in the Central, then the 5th place team in the Pacific makes the playoffs.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
AHL affiliations change so much, these divisions are going to be in a constant state of flux.

You have San Antonio going to Henderson, NV.
Blues align with Springfield after losing SA
NJ moves from Binghampton to Utica
Van moves from Utica to Abbotsford
CAR moves from Charlotte to Chicago
FLA moves from Springfield to Charlotte

Word is that Stockton/Calgary relationship isn't great. So who knows what happens there.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Also, at the time, Abbotsford was over a thousand miles away from their nearest opponent.
as was Newfoundland... hence the 2 game sets for those in the East that played them. which is why the travel expenditure subsidy was applied.... which the league has since done away with...

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
AHL affiliations change so much, these divisions are going to be in a constant state of flux.

You have San Antonio going to Henderson, NV.
Blues align with Springfield after losing SA
NJ moves from Binghampton to Utica
Van moves from Utica to Abbotsford
CAR moves from Charlotte to Chicago
FLA moves from Springfield to Charlotte

Word is that Stockton/Calgary relationship isn't great. So who knows what happens there.
Calgary has said every intention was to remain in Stockton.... they control the franchise, just like the decision to play out of Calgary this season....

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
Calgary has said every intention was to remain in Stockton.... they control the franchise, just like the decision to play out of Calgary this season....

It's still so weird Sasktel Center let's the Blades have a clause that doesn't allow any higher level of hockey premier tenant outside of an NHL team in the building. Hence why the AHL never tries to go to Saskatoon.

So strange.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
It's still so weird Sasktel Center let's the Blades have a clause that doesn't allow any higher level of hockey premier tenant outside of an NHL team in the building. Hence why the AHL never tries to go to Saskatoon.

So strange.

I question if that’s strange.

I know the Winterhawks have a contract with arena management (essentially the Trail Blazers) that only allows negotiations with WHL... or NHL. And there’s a strong possibility this is part of the MO of the WHL. This explains some things about other markets.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Portland happens to be one of hte bigger WHL markets. WHL and NHL can co exist since its two different dollar price points for tickets. The issue with WHL and AHL are basically its the same ticket price huts you would hurt the WHL franchise if a AHL tried to move in.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Portland happens to be one of hte bigger WHL markets. WHL and NHL can co exist since its two different dollar price points for tickets. The issue with WHL and AHL are basically its the same ticket price huts you would hurt the WHL franchise if a AHL tried to move in.

The point isn’t that they would co-exist (I seriously doubt they would). The point is that this clause exists as a non-compete, and it’s a true leap of faith to think Vulcan came up with it. The WHL has been very protective of “its territory” against leagues that it believes it can reasonably fight. If you look at the history of minor pro and even major junior, it’s quite curious that they pull it off 90% of the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad