Utica Comets relocating to Abbotsford, Binghamton Devils to Utica

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
Bad move, imo. They should stay in Utica for good reasons, shorter travels and more practice time, with more focus on development and away from the spotlight that is from the media and fanfare.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
ONly thing i am trying to figure out is what will the AHL do with alignment especially when Seattle's AHL joins

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Probably 6 divisions of 5 with the Pacific division split into north and south west.

why would they go away from the 8/8/8/8 alignment. Most of the pacific division are in the south west. Vancouver's is the only one to the north in BC.

Colorado will probably switch over to central but there needs to be 1 more to move then there's the issue of filling the open alignment spot in one of the eastern conference divisions.

6 division of 5 makes 30 teams and there is 31 AHL teams now soon to be 32 in another year. so a 6x5 would not make sense.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
why would they go away from the 8/8/8/8 alignment. Most of the pacific division are in the south west. Vancouver's is the only one to the north in BC.

Colorado will probably switch over to central but there needs to be 1 more to move then there's the issue of filling the open alignment spot in one of the eastern conference divisions.

6 division of 5 makes 30 teams and there is 31 AHL teams now soon to be 32 in another year. so a 6x5 would not make sense.
My bad my logic was way off and i was just trying to spilt the pacific division into two while keeping Colorado since they play 68 games.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Because the AHL doesn't give a shit how many teams are in a division. I think if they split it evenly they go with 8 divisions of 4 personally.

they went with the currently 7x8x8x8 to be align with the NHL in terms of alignment. So i think they care enough to keep it somehow 8/8/8/8.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
they went with the currently 7x8x8x8 to be align with the NHL in terms of alignment. So i think they care enough to keep it somehow 8/8/8/8.

They really don't. Travel costs are first and foremost. So what are they going to do? They're not going to put like Colorado and Tucson in a Central Division with Manitoba, Chicago, Iowa, Rockford, Milwaukee and Texas. They're going to put them in a division with with Henderson, Bakersfield, San Diego, Ontario, Stockton, San Jose, Palm Springs, Abbotsford. That might be a bit too extreme, even for the AHL which is why I suggested 8 4 teams divisions.

San Diego
Bakersfield
Palm Springs
Ontario

Tucson
Henderson
Colorado
Texas

Abbotsford
Stockton
San Jose
Manitoba

Chicago
Milwaukee
Rockford
Iowa

Grand Rapids
Cleveland
Charlotte
Hartford

Toronto
Laval
Belleville
Providence

Lehigh Valley
Hershey
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton
Bridgeport

Syracuse
Utica
Rochester
Springfield

Simple, clean, easy.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Travel costs are first and foremost. So what are they going to do? They're not going to put like Colorado and Tucson in a Central Division with Manitoba, Chicago, Iowa, Rockford, Milwaukee and Texas. They're going to put them in a division with with Henderson, Bakersfield, San Diego, Ontario, Stockton, San Jose, Palm Springs, Abbotsford. That might be a bit too extreme, even for the AHL which is why I suggested 8 4 teams divisions.

San Diego
Bakersfield
Palm Springs
Ontario

Tucson
Henderson
Colorado
Texas

Abbotsford
Stockton
San Jose
Manitoba

Chicago
Milwaukee
Rockford
Iowa

Grand Rapids
Cleveland
Charlotte
Hartford

Toronto
Laval
Belleville
Providence

Lehigh Valley
Hershey
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton
Bridgeport

Syracuse
Utica
Rochester
Springfield

Simple, clean, easy.

"Travel costs are first and foremost", yet you have placed Bridgeport, Hartford, Springfield and Providence all in different divisions?

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
If you have to place teams from Bridgeport, Hartford, Springfield and Providence in different divisions to make a plan work, you don't have a very good plan.

Clearly no divisions are going to be perfect. You can tweak those Eastern divisions however you like. The entire point was it makes more sense to have 4 team divisions where most teams are relatively close to teams in their division than it is to make a 10 team Pacific Division or an 8 team Central Division that has like Colorado and Tucson. It's not easy to make all "fair" divisions in the East when Charlotte is 500 miles away from the closest team. Some teams are going to have to have them in their division even if they don't want them.

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
The first incarnation of Abbotsford AHL team had no chance because no one wanted to cheer for the Flames and if done right the Abbotsford AHL team has an opportunity to create a winning name/logo combination

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The first incarnation of Abbotsford AHL team had no chance because no one wanted to cheer for the Flames and if done right the Abbotsford AHL team has an opportunity to create a winning name/logo combination
the only problem is how long will CSE want to fund this team and the arena and the Canucks indefinitely.... there will come a day where the Aquillini's won't be the owners of the Canucks.... and it might come quicker than or when you least expect a change in ownership....

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
the only problem is how long will CSE want to fund this team and the arena and the Canucks indefinitely.... there will come a day where the Aquillini's won't be the owners of the Canucks.... and it might come quicker than or when you least expect a change in ownership....

You can say that to just about any owner.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Didn't Abbotsford already fail once? Why try it again?

The last attempt was flames having their AHL in Vancouver hockey region. There was issues with people not wanting to root for a flame's AHL team. In this case its Vancouver's AHL team.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The last attempt was flames having their AHL in Vancouver hockey region. There was issues with people not wanting to root for a flame's AHL team. In this case its Vancouver's AHL team.
no, the ISSUE since then, tommy, wasn't that....

which was brought up several times why did Abbotsford build the arena to begin with then they jumped on a 2 5 year options WITH Calgary's franchise.....

why and @PCS Pounder brought this up post Heat..... WHY didn't another league approach them once the option was announced by the city that the Heat were gone.

there were ample opportunities in various leagues over the years to fill the Abbotsford Centre.....Calgary was right to block the Canucks back then from asking if I remember the discussion, back then....

why didn't the Canucks pick Abbotsford back when they acquired the AHL Franchise rights from St. Louis as part of the deal as for the rights to replace the Canucks in Rosemont, IL, rather than Esche and MVG, THE last 8 years

Reactions: nickp91

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
The only way I can see all AHL teams playing the same amount of games in a season is if the Pacific Division doesn't play any out-of-division games, except for occasional games between Colorado or Tucson (the latter not during DST) against the teams in the now 6-team Central Division. The Central Time teams could still play games against the Eastern Conference because all those teams are in the ETZ to the east.

The idea is to avoid traveling across multiple time zones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad