Utica Comets May Leave at the End of 2018/ 2019 Season

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
If the same Abbotsford city fathers/mothers are in place as those when the Flames moved their affiliate to Glens Falls in 2014, the civic challenges that doused the Heat are unlikely to change with a new team in town ... THW: The Life and Death of the Abbotsford Heat
I always wondered why Abbotsford was never a consideration to move the Canucks farm team, given how Calgary's farm used to be there

There were reports that the Canucks were negotiating with Abbotsford at the time when Calgary was being paid to break the contract and leave early. But Vancouver wanted the same deal that Calgary had with the guaranteed payments to break even. I assume the negotiating tactic the Canucks were using was attendance would be better for a Canucks farm team so the city wouldn't have to pay out as much in a revenue guarantee but the mayor wouldn't agree to it.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
I see one of 2 possible situations that could happen if Vancouver decides to pull out of Utica and head westward for 2019-20 season:

1. Rangers pay buy out clause on their remaining lease agreement they made with Hartford and moves in to Utica. Hartford either goes into ECHL or goes dormant. Vancouver new AHL team (wherever that may be) goes to the Pacific Division, Colorado Eagles moves from the Pacific Division into the Central Division, Laval Rocket moves from the North Division into the Atlantic Division, and Grand Rapids Griffins moves from the Central Division into the North Division.
or

2. Vancouver new AHL team goes to the Pacific Division, Colorado Eagles moves from the Pacific Division into the Central Division, Grand Rapids Griffins moves from the Central Division into the North Division, and Utica will most likely end up with an ECHL team.

Will see what Vancouver will do. I feel (1.) is what is going to end up happening. That is my take on it. Time will tell (end of December).

No need to move Colorado out of the Pacific since there are only 7 teams.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I see one of 2 possible situations that could happen if Vancouver decides to pull out of Utica and head westward for 2019-20 season:

1. Rangers pay buy out clause on their remaining lease agreement they made with Hartford and moves in to Utica. Hartford either goes into ECHL or goes dormant. Vancouver new AHL team (wherever that may be) goes to the Pacific Division, Colorado Eagles moves from the Pacific Division into the Central Division, Laval Rocket moves from the North Division into the Atlantic Division, and Grand Rapids Griffins moves from the Central Division into the North Division.
or

2. Vancouver new AHL team goes to the Pacific Division, Colorado Eagles moves from the Pacific Division into the Central Division, Grand Rapids Griffins moves from the Central Division into the North Division, and Utica will most likely end up with an ECHL team.

Will see what Vancouver will do. I feel (1.) is what is going to end up happening. That is my take on it. Time will tell (end of December).
1 will never happen, Gr, the Rangers own the franchise in Hartford, in fact, it is primarily the reason why Portland is the Rangers affiliate within the last year due to the commonality of the business operation in both Hartford and Portland, that is why the Rangers aligned here after severing ties with Greenville, Spectra runs both franchises, and owns the ECHL franchise

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Will see what Vancouver does regarding if they stay in Utica or move westward for 2019-20. If they do move out of Utica, then the rest of the dominos will fall from there I feel. Nothing is set in stone right now. Will see by the end of 2018 what Vancouver will decide to do and it would not surprise me that the Rangers would be inquiring the Canucks or at least inform them before the end of 2018 deadline if the Canucks do plan to pull out of Utica and move westward for next season.

Remember Hutch that Vancouver OWNS Utica (not Eshe) and the NY Rangers OWNS Hartford (not Spectra), so if Vancouver can decide to leave Utica and head elsewhere, they can do so without Eshe/Utica say. If the NY Rangers decided to leave Hartford, they can do so anytime they want and Hartford/Spectra can not do anything about it. Rangers can pay Hartford out to terminate their latest contract they signed with no problems and most likely that an amount for pulling out of the agreement is already stated in their agreement.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Will see what Vancouver does regarding if they stay in Utica or move westward for 2019-20. If they do move out of Utica, then the rest of the dominos will fall from there I feel. Nothing is set in stone right now. Will see by the end of 2018 what Vancouver will decide to do and it would not surprise me that the Rangers would be inquiring the Canucks or at least inform them before the end of 2018 deadline if the Canucks do plan to pull out of Utica and move westward for next season.

Remember Hutch that Vancouver OWNS Utica (not Eshe) and the NY Rangers OWNS Hartford (not Spectra), so if Vancouver can decide to leave Utica and head elsewhere, they can do so without Eshe/Utica say. If the NY Rangers decided to leave Hartford, they can do so anytime they want and Hartford/Spectra can not do anything about it. Rangers can pay Hartford out to terminate their latest contract they signed with no problems and most likely that an amount for pulling out of the agreement is already stated in their agreement.
wrong, Gr, Esche and the Canucks co-own the Utica Market, and Hartford is not being spun off from MSG

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
wrong, Gr, Esche and the Canucks co-own the Utica Market, and Hartford is not being spun off from MSG

Canucks' owner Francesco Aquilini talked about the possibility of having an AHL team playing closer to home on Thursday morning.

The Vancouver Canucks’ lease at Utica’s Memorial Auditorium is up at the end of this season.
The Canucks own the Utica Comets and the American Hockey League has played there since 2013.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Canucks' owner Francesco Aquilini talked about the possibility of having an AHL team playing closer to home on Thursday morning.

The Vancouver Canucks’ lease at Utica’s Memorial Auditorium is up at the end of this season.
The Canucks own the Utica Comets and the American Hockey League has played there since 2013.
possibility is subjective, about time for Detroit to buy Grand Rapids and move them to BC, Gr, that's about how probable your subjectivity about Hartford is

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
possibility is subjective, about time for Detroit to buy Grand Rapids and move them to BC, Gr, that's about how probable your subjectivity about Hartford is

Detroit has no intentions of buying Grand Rapids as they do not want to OWN their AHL affiliate. They are happy the way things are right now. If DeVos and/or VanAndel decides to not want to own the Griffins any more, or if something happens to them, I'm sure there is something in their agreement that the Red Wings would be the first to make an offer to buy the Griffins.

We will see what Vancouver decides to do by the end of 2018 if they stay in Utica for at least 3 more seasons, or decide to move westward next season.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Detroit has no intentions of buying Grand Rapids as they do not want to OWN their AHL affiliate. They are happy the way things are right now. If DeVos and/or VanAndel decides to not want to own the Griffins any more, or if something happens to them, I'm sure there is something in their agreement that the Red Wings would be the first to make an offer to buy the Griffins.

We will see what Vancouver decides to do by the end of 2018 if they stay in Utica for at least 3 more seasons, or decide to move westward next season.
it's more likely that a 3 yr deal, but Utica fans have already stated it's a 50-50 partnership

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
it's more likely that a 3 yr deal, but Utica fans have already stated it's a 50-50 partnership
You're wrong, Esche runs the business portion, the Canuckleheads own the AHL franchise, unfortunately. The really couldn't manage a mountain goat on a pool table.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Can you explain how Esche and the Canucks co-own the Utica market and how this prevents the Canucks from relocating their AHL team to another city?
then why haven't they? is it or is it not a penalty for breaking a clause, that requires a franchise to replace an existing one....

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Eshe operates the Comets and the arena and Vancouver OWNS the Comets. 50-50 partnership.

Bottom line is that Vancouver decides when to pull out or stay in Utica, not Eshe nor his managing firm. Get over it.
After reading some of these posters replies and statements my head wants to explode. You're right, the Canuckleheads OWNZ the AHL franchise. They can go anytime they please at the end of the contract or could have before if they had paid Esche a big penalty.

It's not that hard to understand. Most Comet fans think the Comets are dead men skating.

Guess we will know in 32 days.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
After reading some of these posters replies and statements my head wants to explode. You're right, the Canuckleheads OWNZ the AHL franchise. They can go anytime they please at the end of the contract or could have before if they had paid Esche a big penalty.

It's not that hard to understand. Most Comet fans think the Comets are dead men skating.

Guess we will know in 32 days.
Most ahl contracts Do not matter Albany Devils to stay at least through 2018-19

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
My guess is that the Canucks are waiting to see if Seattle gets approved next week, then they will decide what path to take....

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
The devil is in the details (pardon the pun). The problem with posters on message boards is that no one has seen and read any of the contracts between the NHL team and the AHL city, arena, managing group etc. Every contract is going to be different and nobody on here knows the what the termination clauses are. It is fun to speculate but I take everyone's comments and "inside knowledge" with a grain of salt.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018

or

Hartford Echl would never work The locals did not react well to going to the AHL from the NHL in the 90s An echl move would be even worse

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The devil is in the details (pardon the pun). The problem with posters on message boards is that no one has seen and read any of the contracts between the NHL team and the AHL city, arena, managing group etc. Every contract is going to be different and nobody on here knows the what the termination clauses are. It is fun to speculate but I take everyone's comments and "inside knowledge" with a grain of salt.
depends on Vancouver having that clause requiring another team to be in place before leaving

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad