Utica Comets May Leave at the End of 2018/ 2019 Season

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
I never expected the Canucks to leave now because it doesn't make much sense for them to move to the Pacific Northwest where they'd been an outlier in the AHL even on the West Coast. At least now, they can stay in an area that allows them to benefit from minimal travel. The deal as I've seen from media reports on twitter is two years with two two-year extensions so the Canucks can revisit the west coast again in 2021-2022 when Seattle enters the NHL. That's what I'm expecting. Vancouver to join Seattle in putting their prospects in the NW. Utica will be in position to land another NHL club or look at the ECHL which hasn't been that bad in Portland. I see this deal giving Vancouver time and options on their future.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Many people have predicted that Vancouver is pulling out of Utica next year for five straight years now. Those same people also said they would never extend the original six year deal and they did. Time will tell but they are here for at least two more years if not longer.

Certainly felt it made sense for Vancouver to move ever since the California invasion, but when Seattle's NHL entry was delayed to 2021, this re-signing seemed inevitable. "Up to 6" might be interesting, but if Seattle follows through on one hint of going to California, maybe Vancouver considers staying longer?

Vancouver moving their team close to home seems contingent on Seattle providing a close-to-home travel partner. I don't know what Seattle's thinking by flirting with any city in California... with two exceptions, and I'm not holding my breath for either.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Great news for Mohawk Valley hockey fans. Esche and the fans delivered, they have done all any organization can ask for. I give a HUGE thumbs up to the Vancouver organization, they have been straight up with the Utica folks and the fans. Its nice to see them treat the folks in Utica with such mutual respect and admiration, this is an outstanding relationship.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Great news for Mohawk Valley hockey fans. Esche and the fans delivered, they have done all any organization can ask for. I give a HUGE thumbs up to the Vancouver organization, they have been straight up with the Utica folks and the fans. Its nice to see them treat the folks in Utica with such mutual respect and admiration, this is an outstanding relationship.
Thanks. The Canucks do seem to be contraions rather than followers when it comes to moving the farm out west. They have stated that they value the additional practice sessions that come as a result of having an AHL team that is close to other AHL teams. They also value the atmosphere in Utica that their prospects play in.

They could very well join the western trend in two years, four years or six years from now but we have been hearing that each year for the past five and it hasn't happened yet. The general mood in Utica right now is a combination of relief and celebration and we plan on enjoying the next two seasons and will worry about or future then. But the bottom line is that the support from the fans and business community will continue in Utica which doesn't guarantee anything but it does help in the long run.

The renovations to the Aud have also helped keep the team here. The obvious are the three bars and new restaurant plus new suites which generate much more additional revenue and compensate for the smaller seating capacity. Since Esche manages the Aud this additional revenue is available to pay Vancouver an affiliation fee that both sides are comfortable with without putting the Comets in financial stress.

But the improvements to the Aud aren't finished. In 2018 the Aud authority completed the acquisition of land next door and will break ground in 2019 for the Nexus Center. This will be a three rink facility connected to the Aud that Esche envisions making Utica a destination for regional youth hockey and indoor lacrosse tournaments and the tourists dollars a facility will bring in. The secondary benefit will be the Comets having a practice rink at their disposal that allows them to use their dressing and training facility at the Aud. Right now when ice isn't available at the Aud the Comets practice at one of the suburban community rinks which works fine but the Nexus Center will give them a NHL class practice facility.

Again none of this guarantees the long term success of keeping the AHL in Utica but Esche is doing everything he can to improve the odds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad