Utica Comets enter 10 year affiliation with the New Jersey Devils

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Binghamton has proven they can support an AHL team and I hope they can partner with another NHL team in the near future. The ECHL makes sense in the meantime. Both Utica and Binghamton were in the UHL for a stretch of time between AHL years for Binghamton and having continuity of minor league hockey I would think helped them land the Senators. I'm not sure going down the FPHL path is a good idea though.
The days of the UHL between AHL teams is kind of irrelevant based on what has happened with the AHL from that time to now. A quick look at league geography shows what I am talking about. More chairs than players for the NE musical chairs game. Utica just tried to secure their long term minor pro future, will be interesting to see what Binghamton does long term.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Well for one thing I'm not convinced there were multiple NHL teams beating down the doors to bring their NHL clubs in either Utica or Binghamton. Not that Utica hasn't been a good Market but more so of the lack of availability of teams in the Northeast.
There are so many former AHL cities in the northeast still fighting for a smaller number of teams that want to be there.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
There are so many former AHL cities in the northeast still fighting for a smaller number of teams that want to be there.
not as much as you would think....

Manchester didn't exactly thrill at either level, in retrospect once the swap by LA became either known in 2014, or completed by that point....

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
The days of the UHL between AHL teams is kind of irrelevant based on what has happened with the AHL from that time to now. A quick look at league geography shows what I am talking about. More chairs than players for the NE musical chairs game. Utica just tried to secure their long term minor pro future, will be interesting to see what Binghamton does long term.
Yeah I know that the odds are not great but I never would have guessed that Utica would ever see the AHL again before the Canucks landed here in 2013. Likewise I really didn't think another team would chose Utica once the Canucks decide to head west. Never rule it out completely.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Yeah I know that the odds are not great but I never would have guessed that Utica would ever see the AHL again before the Canucks landed here in 2013. Likewise I really didn't think another team would chose Utica once the Canucks decide to head west. Never rule it out completely.
I look at the AHL in two modern stages: prior to 2015-2016 and after 2015-2016. With the way the league is moving geographically I'm not sure 2013 has much left to do with anything.

607Hockey

Jan 4, 2021
but more so of the lack of availability of teams in the Northeast
This is spot on, it was "easier" for east coast cities to lose then gain an AHL club with so many being over here, with the west coast movement the supply has dwindled but the demand has remained the same or increased.

If Pro hockey want's equal teams from the NHL down to the ECHL (1:1:1) for development then there are 7 teams awaiting to be "expanded". Biggest issue I see is the 50 contract limit the NHL has, be interesting if they consider expanding that to help fill the rosters.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
This is spot on, it was "easier" for east coast cities to lose then gain an AHL club with so many being over here, with the west coast movement the supply has dwindled but the demand has remained the same or increased.

If Pro hockey want's equal teams from the NHL down to the ECHL (1:1:1) for development then there are 7 teams awaiting to be "expanded". Biggest issue I see is the 50 contract limit the NHL has, be interesting if they consider expanding that to help fill the rosters.
Not 7, 4. ECHL has 3 set expansions teams to take them to 28, so only 4 left. Binghamton better get moving...

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Not 7, 4. ECHL has 3 set expansions teams to take them to 28, so only 4 left. Binghamton better get moving...
27, bleed:

two were terminated: Manchester and Brampton, otherwise the league would be back at 27 had Brampton not been sold back to the league for termination, so yes, there are 7 NHL Teams, which will drop to 4, maybe 3,

essentially, 12 opted out of the 26, once Toledo confirmed they were out and Fort Wayne opted in.

nothing to do with T/R, Coralville, or Savannah....if Binghamton files as been rumored that brings it back to 28.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Sometimes people forget that Utica was the not the Canucks first or second choice they looked at Seattle and Abbotsford. It was the all the right circumstances coming together that turned Utica from a vacant market into a AHL hot spot.

Last edited:

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
27, bleed:

two were terminated: Manchester and Brampton, otherwise the league would be back at 27 had Brampton not been sold back to the league for termination, so yes, there are 7 NHL Teams, which will drop to 4, maybe 3,

essentially, 12 opted out of the 26, once Toledo confirmed they were out and Fort Wayne opted in.

nothing to do with T/R, Coralville, or Savannah....if Binghamton files as been rumored that brings it back to 28.
They were at 26, Brampton folds means 25, add those 3 gets it back to 28 franchises in the league. Manchester has nothing to do with that number

1 Florida
2 Greenville
3 Indy
4 Jacksonville
5 Orlando
6 SC
7 Wheeling
8 Allen
9 FW
10 Kansas City
11 Tulsa
12 Utah
13 Wichita
14 Adr
15 Atlanta
16 Cincy
17 Idaho
18 Kalamazoo
19 Maine
20 Newfoudnland
21 Norfolk
22 Reading
23 Toledo
24 Worcester
25 Rapid City

Plus the three expansion you listed get it to 28.

Where am I wrong?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
They were at 26, Brampton folds means 25, add those 3 gets it back to 28 franchises in the league. Manchester has nothing to do with that number

1 Florida
2 Greenville
3 Indy
4 Jacksonville
5 Orlando
6 SC
7 Wheeling
8 Allen
9 FW
10 Kansas City
11 Tulsa
12 Utah
13 Wichita
14 Adr
15 Atlanta
16 Cincy
17 Idaho
18 Kalamazoo
19 Maine
20 Newfoudnland
21 Norfolk
22 Reading
23 Toledo
24 Worcester
25 Rapid City

Plus the three expansion you listed get it to 28.

Where am I wrong?
it was 26 before the opt outs, bleed:

when the East Division opted out, Brampton hadn't ceded their membership at that point....

how did the ECHL Get from 26 to 14;

9) Ft. Wayne WAS THE LAST TO opt in;
14, 15, 16, 18, 19, 20,21, 22, 23, 24, all opted out;

it would be 29 if all three expansion teams started in October, which Savannah starts in 2022/23, the same year Seattle and Palm Desert join each of the other leagues...

we'd be closer to the AHL model of 31.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
it was 26 before the opt outs, bleed:

when the East Division opted out, Brampton hadn't ceded their membership at that point....

how did the ECHL Get from 26 to 14;

9) Ft. Wayne WAS THE LAST TO opt in;
14, 15, 16, 18, 19, 20,21, 22, 23, 24, all opted out;

it would be 29 if all three expansion teams started in October, which Savannah starts in 2022/23, the same year Seattle and Palm Desert join each of the other leagues...

we'd be closer to the AHL model of 31.
Do you have any knowledge that any of the teams that opted out aren't coming back?

I am going off of actual league membership, not on one year opt outs.

Actual league membership has them at 25 with 3 expansions teams correct?

Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Do you have any knowledge that any of the teams that opted out aren't coming back?

I am going off of actual league membership, not on one year opt outs.

Actual league membership has them at 25 with 3 expansions teams correct?
league goes to 27 with T/R and Coralville, Savannah isn't active until next October, and if Binghamton files they become #29

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
league goes to 27 with T/R and Coralville, Savannah isn't active until next October, and if Binghamton files they become #29
so exactly what I said, league is at 28 members (once expansion is accepted a team is a member), and only has 4 spots left so binghamton better get moving...

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
so exactly what I said, league is at 28 members (once expansion is accepted a team is a member), and only has 4 spots left so binghamton better get moving...
the point you keep missing is:

Savannah isn't joining until October 2022 at the earliest..... the ECHL is at 27 in 2021/2022, Which counts 3R/Coralville....

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
That's a roundabout way of saying "Yes, with the three announced expansions the league will be at 28 teams."

Don't be afraid of the number 28 (I notice you particularly avoided typing it in your posts). I found this link that might help if you are avoiding 28 intentionally or subconsciously. https://angelnumbersmeaning.com/angel-number-28-meaning-and-symbolism/

Reactions: Captain Crash

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
That's a roundabout way of saying "Yes, with the three announced expansions the league will be at 28 teams."

Don't be afraid of the number 28 (I notice you particularly avoided typing it in your posts). I found this link that might help if you are avoiding 28 intentionally or subconsciously. https://angelnumbersmeaning.com/angel-number-28-meaning-and-symbolism/
NO, what bleed doesn't get is Savannah isn't a franchise now, because where's the arena when that announcement was made unbeknowst to all of us when Crelin dropped that bombshell on the entire league.

that's like stating Palm Desert effectively starts this October, not 2022/2023 because there's no arena for them to play in

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
NO, what bleed doesn't get is Savannah isn't a franchise now, because where's the arena when that announcement was made unbeknowst to all of us when Crelin dropped that bombshell on the entire league.

that's like stating Palm Desert effectively starts this October, not 2022/2023 because there's no arena for them to play in
They have been accepted into the league so they are a member in the league. If they weren't a member than your point would hold, but they wouldnt add savannah and then act like they dont exist and go to 33 and be one over. Once a team completes expansion they are a member of the league and are accounted for, just the same way brampton was a member until they officially terminated...

Reactions: Atlantian

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
They have been accepted into the league so they are a member in the league. If they weren't a member than your point would hold, but they wouldnt add savannah and then act like they dont exist and go to 33 and be one over. Once a team completes expansion they are a member of the league...
then why aren't they starting in October, 2021, bleed

can you answer that

we can:

Savannah Arena doesn't exist

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
then why aren't they starting in October, 2021, bleed

can you answer that

we can:

Savannah Arena doesn't exist
The arena does not matter, the fact is the FRANCHISE exists in the league. If for whatever reason the arena doesnt happen there then the EXISTING FRANCHISE can seek a new arena/location.

Much the same way the NHL Seattle team existed prior to the arena being ready for the team.

When any league awards expansion the franchise exists as a member. if Seattle's arena suddenly disappeared the Kraken dont disappear from the NHL. The Kraken still would exist and would be looking for a new home.

Reactions: Roadhog

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Sometimes people forget that Utica was the not the Canucks first or second choice they looked at Seattle and Abbotsford. It was the all the right circumstances coming together that turned Utica from a vacant market into a AHL hot spot.
There are some people in Utica complaining about the Devils coming back. Either Rangers fans or those still bitter about the Devils leaving Utica nearly 30 years ago. They just don't understand how fortunate a small city like Utica is that another NHL team is stepping in to replace the Canucks. Keeping the Comets name does help though and I'm glad Esche convinced New Jersey to not rebrand Utica as the Devils again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad