Utah... Yetis?

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
So if they restart the Coyotes in AZ, they'll get an expansion draft? Gross. And now it has me wishing the Wings had gone dormant 6 or 7 years ago, and moved personnel out to another city, and restarted in Detroit after a couple of years. We probably would have been in the playoffs for the last couple of years, maybe won a cup.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's a little more than that.

The "franchise" didn't relocate to Utah, only the players and some staff, etc. This includes minor league assets, prospects, etc. The "Coyotes", as a franchise, has been made dormant by the league, and Alex Meruelo has a five year window to acquire land and get the arena completed.

If current reporting is correct, he has until next April to actually acquire the land he needs, and the arena needs to be at least half finished by 31 December 2027. If it's at that point on or before that date, he can pay back the $1bn to the NHL and start the expansion draft process. If all this happens, the team should resume play in time for the 2029-2030 season, with the actual expansion draft occurring in the summer of 2029.

There's no word yet on what happens to the remains of the Coyotes franchise should Meruelo fail, but if I had to guess, it would go to the league until someone steps up, builds a barn, and pays the $1bn (or more?) to resurrect the Coyotes in Phoenix.

So it sounds very much like a sleight of hand to expand the league even further

Reactions: dj4aces

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Of course. The NHL exists to serve the NHL. This happens to all organizations. Eventually it will become pointless and unwatchable, like the NBA is to me now. Like the NBA, the NHL will become populated solely by 7 foot tall mutants who can create a "Michigan" goal from the slot.

sidewalk.JPG

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Well, yeah. The league has been answering "not at this time" to the expansion question for months now, complete with a wink and a smile.

The league and all of its owners wants footholds in all the major US markets. Like I said, now there's three missing -- Atlanta, Houston, and now Phoenix. Say what you will about a third try in Atlanta, but the first two were ownership issues, not fan issues. Houston had two attempts to join the league thearted -- once by the Cleveland Barons, who already had an arrangement in place to merge with the North Stars, and again in the mid-90s when the league intervened to keep the Oilers in Edmonton... then there's the never-ending Phoenix saga, who hasn't had stable and committed ownership since before the team left Winnipeg.

So, get ready for it. The league is gonna be 36 teams before we know it. The only question is, where will #36 end up?

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Well, yeah. The league has been answering "not at this time" to the expansion question for months now, complete with a wink and a smile.

The league and all of its owners wants footholds in all the major US markets. Like I said, now there's three missing -- Atlanta, Houston, and now Phoenix. Say what you will about a third try in Atlanta, but the first two were ownership issues, not fan issues. Houston had two attempts to join the league thearted -- once by the Cleveland Barons, who already had an arrangement in place to merge with the North Stars, and again in the mid-90s when the league intervened to keep the Oilers in Edmonton... then there's the never-ending Phoenix saga, who hasn't had stable and committed ownership since before the team left Winnipeg.

So, get ready for it. The league is gonna be 36 teams before we know it. The only question is, where will #36 end up?
I'd like Wisconsin to get a team. Get a good rivalry going between the Wild and the Wiscos.

You will sell many beer.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
I'd like Wisconsin to get a team. Get a good rivalry going between the Wild and the Wiscos.

You will sell many beer.
That would be awesome, because the Blackhawks are only a quick drive to the south. Another nearby rivalry with a whole lot more beer sales. All that's needed is an owner.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
That would be awesome, because the Blackhawks are only a quick drive to the south. Another nearby rivalry with a whole lot more beer sales. All that's needed is an owner.
Base 'em in Madison, call 'em the Madison Hatters. They can steal the cheesehead hats from the Packers. The "Mad Hatters". Boom. Print money.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin

You will sell many beer.
We hate the FIBS even more than you clowns…

Base 'em in Madison, call 'em the Madison Hatters. They can steal the cheesehead hats from the Packers. The "Mad Hatters". Boom. Print money.
At 1st I thought it was ‘Haters’…

1714960010096.jpeg

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad