Usphl?

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
I agree with this post. I don't think it is going to be as strong as the USHL this year simply because it is the inaugural season and many players from the east already have gone out and found a USHL team (which is free of course), but I can see it in the not-so-distant future when kids coming up would rather stay home and play right infront of northeast schools instead of going out west to some town in the middle of no where.

I will say the Premier league will probably be stronger overall than the NAHL though.

If the NAHL was actually about development and not expanding into huge markets to make money then the NAHL would stay better than the USPHL. But with 22+ teams you can't argue that the talent doesn't get watered down.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
If the NAHL was actually about development and not expanding into huge markets to make money then the NAHL would stay better than the USPHL. But with 22+ teams you can't argue that the talent doesn't get watered down.

Yes:laugh: Huge markets like Dawson's Creek, Rio Rancho, Fresno, Wenatchee, Minot......

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Yes:laugh: Huge markets like Dawson's Creek, Rio Rancho, Fresno, Wenatchee, Minot......

Minot has 40,000 people. Is there even one city in the USPHL that has more than 15,000? Anyway, Fresno has 510,000 people so I'm not sure what point you're making....

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Minot has 40,000 people. Is there even one city in the USPHL that has more than 15,000? Anyway, Fresno has 510,000 people so I'm not sure what point you're making....

Your right. Just a bunch of small cities like Philadelphia, regardless of the fact that it is located in the densest part of the US. So there are probably a million people with 30 mins of half the teams.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
This argument makes no sense. The NAHL is expanding to make more money, which waters down the league and you can't really argue that.

The USPHL is driven by the pay to play model, so it's pretty much irrelevant where the franchises are located because they're not a gate driven league.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
This argument makes no sense. The NAHL is expanding to make more money, which waters down the league and you can't really argue that.

The USPHL is driven by the pay to play model, so it's pretty much irrelevant where the franchises are located because they're not a gate driven league.

You can argue it to a point. The USHL is using the NAHL as a feeder league in recent years. They are sending affiliate players to get Junior experience before bringing them up the following year. Along with this, you are seeing alot of NAHL players being drafted in the USHL. In the first 10 rounds of the entry draft, 20 NAHL players were taken.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Your right. Just a bunch of small cities like Philadelphia, regardless of the fact that it is located in the densest part of the US. So there are probably a million people with 30 mins of half the teams.

The NAHL puts teams downtown in huge cities like Fresno, Topeka, Corpus Christi and Frisco. The Philadelphia Flyers Elite aren't playing in the Wells Fargo Center, they're in a Philly suburb. None of the USPHL teams are playing in rinks bigger than your local one that holds less than 800.

Exactly.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
The NAHL puts teams downtown in huge cities like Fresno, Topeka, Corpus Christi and Frisco. The Philadelphia Flyers Elite aren't playing in the Wells Fargo Center, they're in a Philly suburb. None of the USPHL teams are playing in rinks bigger than your local one that holds less than 800.

Although this, they are either state of the art facilities, or hold plenty of space for what will be the main crowd; scouts. IHC with Merrimack College's new rink, CT Yankees with Chelsea Piers CT, Portland Jr. Pirates with the OA Sports Center, just to name a few.

But again, it's pretty irrelevant for the USPHL, because all they care about is scouting attendance to promote the league. They don't make money off of entry fees. You'll never have even 100 scouts at a game, so there's plenty of room. If people wanna pay to see a game, they will go watch one of the local NHL teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad