USPHL 2015-16 Thread

PowerPlays

Aug 15, 2014
What to do next year? Suggestions?

Kids done with the 2nd year of the USPHL. What to do next year??
-A few D3 offers out there. Good schools. Good cities.
-Return (they are 96's) to age out in hopes of D1
-If they return they want to be impact players. That didn't happen to much this year due to a few reasons I won't go into on here. However, they did make an awesome impact in the first five games of the playoffs. Not going to go into the last games. I'm not here to ***** and moan haha
-Try for some NA teams? BC? Go back to the USPHL different team?
Just go to college? They are trying to figure it out...they love the game and want D1 so bad! However, they want college so bad! LoL
Anyone out there have any direction?

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
If the DIII is a good school / city/ town and a full ride...take it. Far too many older junior players hanging around chasing a pipe dream and missing out on life and a normal maturation process.

It's a numbers game that a select few survive to win the D I prize.

If your son loves the game, he will spend many years enjoying the fun of adult hockey...with an education paid for.

s...

jliebs

Aug 26, 2014
have your boy go to the school he likes best regardless

of hockey! The education is what matters! What would be the point of going to a d1 program , even a good school, if your kid is just going to told to major in basket weaving? Get a real education ,play hockey for fun ... Stop getting sucked into the nonsense. If a kid can actually, realistically do both then great but to be a 21 year old freshman hoping it works out the way you want isn't a great idea. Bottom line if your 20 and they haven't knocked the door down to get you, then even if they come calling, so what? go to school OWN a team!

PowerPlays

Aug 15, 2014
Look-if the school isn't Ivy League it really doesn't matter (IMO). Of course education matters-but what if it is a dream to play D1. Regardless of the age of the kid. It's a dream. That changes things-I'm not one to shut down a dream.
However, the majors of my kids will cut out a lot of schools at every level. They have visited 4 D3 schools, and going to a 5th one this weekend. The more research and visiting the better.

BTW there are plenty of 20/21 year olds receiving the D1 commits. They spend so much time with their team their age might not matter much. I also believe older kids do better in school then the younger ones.

Give me some other points. These are just so negative. They want to go to college (not worried about them not going). Both their majors require doctoral degrees.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Then I would opt for a USHL or NAHL tryout. This is not a slam at the USJHL, but they are 3rd tier for a reason. From my experience, a D1 player commit in that league is usually a a player who already has a pretty strong verbal with an Eastern school and does not wish to move out to Middle USA. He is there mainly to age up and get stronger. This holds true for the EHL as well.

Take a look at USJHL commits vs the USHL... a bit of a difference.

I don't know where your son's team is located, but the closer to a major D1 city or hub, may allow your son to be seen secondarily, by a scout already there, looking at one of his prospects.

So if wanting D1, your son needs exposure. Head to a tryout camp...call ahead.

Now back to D3 schools...has there been any interest in teams in the NESCAC. Educationally, the top of the D3 chart. There is the rude awakening for a player set on D1...small attendance at games,( at least in that league ) and that may be a bit of a comedown, but the level of play is very good.

You are doing all the correct things as a mom,... I'm not being negative, just a realist with experience.

s...

Last edited:

PowerPlays

Aug 15, 2014
Thanks for your help!

Not negative at all! All input is awesome...
I agree after the USPHL they should move up to the NA or head off to school.

At the end of the last two seasons the % of D1 commits in the USPHL vs NAHL was very similar. However, some the USPHL coaches take the players already committed to a D1 school. They showcase them, and the rest of the players just fill in the team...some of the coaches in the USPHL are really really good at committing their players at the D1 level. That is who we should of played for-

Anyway, they are on the way home. They need to clear their heads and debate school VS NA tryouts etc...I will ask them about the league (NESAC or not). A few of the schools were good decent schools. ME, MA, NY etc...

I appreciated your input...I'm a mom in the Midwest probably why I don't have a clue about the league names lol !! If they do try for the NA they will be closer to me! :handclap:

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Sorry about that incorrect assumption mom.:laugh:

The NESCAC ( New England Small Colleges Athletic Conf. ) are also know as the "Little Ivy League". Schools such as Amherst, Trinity, Bowdoin, Hamilton etc, that are some of the most academically elite schools in the country. If any of those institutions are offering...run, don't walk to accept their offer.

s...

PowerPlays

Aug 15, 2014
Haha Swoopster! Thank you for the info-and yes I agree the 'little Ivy league' would be terrific. They visited a bunch of schools. They liked a few of them...but they did some more research...and (at the present moment) they have decided to play one more year. Not in the USPHL. No idea where they will go-I guess we shall see what happens.
:hockey:

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
More Questions

Canada did open its doors, But BCHL from what other Coaches in BC have told me , its not like it was 5 years ago, The CDN Dollar and too many teams and clubs.

Just questions.

Last edited:

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
Can you be traded from the USPHL to the NA3HL

Can they trade ?

Last edited:

jliebs

Aug 26, 2014
yes they can trade you between leagues but you better know some people. Cause it takes both sides actually giving a crap about you and not ripping you off for another junior fee! and the teams especially in USPHL are notorious ball busters to most players, especially the ones who are on the 2nd-4 th liners. Also don't believe a freakin word a hockey coach tells you, all (I repeat) ALL that matters is his actions, everything else is utter bull. This is 15 years of experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->