USNDTP 2015-2016 Thread

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I did not see a thread for the new season. There was a full page article in the sports section of the Sunday Detroit Free Press about the team's relocation from Ann Arbor to Plymouth. As a long time Plymouth Whalers season ticket holder who bought season tickets for the NDTP's inaugural season in Plymouth, it was nice to see some media coverage for the team. I never recall the Whalers getting such a prominent article in either the Detroit Free Press or Detroit News during the 19 years the team played in Plymouth.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I think they will really embrace the team there. Especially when you have the likes of Notre Dame, Niagara, and Adrian college coming to your barn to play. Along with the fastly growing in popularity USHL. I tell you what, it will sure make watching the World Juniors a lot more interesting for you. A whole lot of kids on both of those teams will be on the USA roster in 1 or 2 years time. Chad Krys who I really like with the U-17's last year has an outside shot of making the WJC team as an underager this winter, we'll see how he progresses. But his skating ability and puck poise is off the charts. He showed some of that at the Word Junior summer evaluation camp in August. I'm excited to get the season going.

Last edited:

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
By the way here is a link to U-18 player and last year was USHL rookie of the year Kieffer Bellows on The Pipeline show.
https://soundcloud.com/pipeline-show/kieffer-bellows-sept8

Here is another article with a video attached to it of Randy Hernandez. A player from Miami who stayed in the Miami area right through his midget AAA season. He tore it up last year and I think this kid could be the next really good player from a non traditional market like Matthews was. I'm not comparing him at all, just saying I think he is going to take off with the program. His OHL rights are owned by the Soo.
http://colorofhockey.com/2015/09/10...-joins-u-s-national-development-team-program/

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I think they will really embrace the team there. Especially when you have the likes of Notre Dame, Niagara, and Adrian college coming to your barn to play. Along with the fastly growing in popularity USHL. I tell you what, it will sure make watching the World Juniors a lot more interesting for you. A whole lot of kids on both of those teams will be on the USA roster in 1 or 2 years time. Chad Krys who I really like with the U-17's last year has an outside shot of making the WJC team as an underager this winter, we'll see how he progresses. But his skating ability and puck poise is off the charts. He showed some of that at the Word Junior summer evaluation camp in August. I'm excited to get the season going.

I am looking forward to the NCAA opponents -- especially Notre Dame. Hopefully in future seasons either Michigan or MSU will play a game against the NTDP in Plymouth instead of Ann Arbor and East Lansing. That would really draw some local interest.

The World Juniors will be a little different, as I would keep up with how current Whalers and other current OHL talent I was familiar with were doing in the tournament. In this case, it will be mostly following players who I watched in previous seasons. In either case, I will still enjoy watching the tournament, as it is very entertaining hockey.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Our season tickets and parking pass arrived in today's mail. The ticket booklet is quite impressive -- it is spiral bound, with each ticket being a single page and displaying a large photo of a player. It's a nicer ticket book than the Whalers used to provide, and I always thought those were decent. The only downside is the tickets are quite large -- probably too large to fit in a pants pocket.

Looking forward to the opening home games next weekend. I drove past the arena last weekend on my way to golf, and the new signage has been completed.

mkhopper

Jan 20, 2015
Good game but the arena is definitely a WIP

First, the product on the ice. This was my first time watching the NTDP and they certainly showed that they came to play some hockey. The game was all but decided by the end of the first period as Chicago couldn't get anything rolling and their goalie let in goal after goal.
Chicago did finally seem to figure out their game and started putting shots on net, but it was far too late.

It was too bad that hardly anyone saw the game though. The building was profoundly empty (I've seen Whaler preseason games pull in more people) and those in the building were hardly into the game at all. I saw more people messing around with their phones than watching the game.
And unless the marketing and media team gets rolling, this team will suffer the same attendance problems as the Whalers did. Nice that Detroit Sports 105.1fm sponsors the endzone seats, but will there ever be any games broadcast on that station? I sure hope so, because I can't see paying $24 a month for games streaming on fasthockey.com as the only media outlet. (I say only because not everyone can get Comcast channel 900). This team will desperately need a local broadcast outlet if they expect to get the word out that they even exist.
(Not a word in any local papers that I could find Saturday morning and even mentioned the game either. Just like before...)

I wish they had done more to make sure the sound system was running correctly, rather than focus on some of the cosmetic enhancements of the building, prior to the opening game. At least in my section (102), you couldn't hear a thing. It was if the speakers were packed with cotton.
Also, from what little we could hear, the PA announcer sounded utterly uninspired. Like he was reading a grocery list.
It's likely just a matter of being spoiled after years of Whaler hockey and I'm sure that the off-ice team just needs time to stretch their legs and grow into their roles in the new environment, so I probably shouldn't pile on so hard.

As for the building, the new video screens were a great addition. Something the arena has needed for a long time and I look forward to the possibility of a full video scoreboard in the coming years.
We did not like the red painted duct work over the ice at all though. It seemed to lower the ceiling and to me it felt a bit claustrophobic.

All in all, it was a good first home game and we're looking forward to seeing more.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
The crowd was definitely a disappointment on Friday night. Hopefully the team will do some promotions to draw some fan interest. Maybe giving away some tickets to expose area fans to the product?

Interesting that you couldn't hear the sound system on your side of the ice. We are on the opposite side (section 113) and it was way too loud for us. They need to work the kinks out. And I agree about the PA announcer. He paled in comparison to Chris, who did most of the Whalers games. Also, not all penalties were announced, so if you missed the referee's signal you had no idea what the call was. These are things that I am sure will be improved over time, though.

I was impressed with the team on the ice. They appear very well coached, moving the puck well and never being out of position. The biggest difference between the NDTP and Chicago was the goaltending. Lethemon (a local kid from Northville) struggled, especially with any shot up high. The US team did outskate Chicago, too.

As for media coverage, I did see Tim Smith from the Observer/Eccentric there covering the event. He stopped by and did a quick interview with us (he also interviewed us after the Whalers were sold last season). It was nice to see Sean Balagian doing color commentary for the telecast, too. When we spoke with Pete Krupsky at the open house last month, he wasn't sure if Sean would be coming back due to other commitments.

Looking forward to this afternoon's game versus Notre Dame.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Just saw a very professional looking commercial for USA Hockey and their new home in Plymouth on the Golf Channel's rebroadcast of the President's Cup. That was nice to see.

savepercentage

Oct 13, 2015
Wrong Island, N.Y.
The difference between the '98s and '99s is, among other things, the '98s have 12 forwards, 8 defensemen, and 2 goalies. The '99s have 13 forwards, 7 defensemen, and 2 goalies. I think the latter is closer to the right way to do things and I hope it continues.

mkhopper

Jan 20, 2015
Looks like I need info on how the standings are figured.
According to the USHL site, Team USA has six points (three wins, one loss).

Are games played by the U17 squad not counted in the standings?
What about the recent game the U18 squad played to a tie vs Notre Dame? Was that game just an exhibition?

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Looks like I need info on how the standings are figured.
According to the USHL site, Team USA has six points (three wins, one loss).

Are games played by the U17 squad not counted in the standings?
What about the recent game the U18 squad played to a tie vs Notre Dame? Was that game just an exhibition?

According to the scoring/roster sheets we received at the games last weekend, both the U18 and U17 games count in the standings as a single, combined Team USA. I do not believe the U18's games versus NCAA opponents count in the standings -- only games versus USHL opponents.

What I do not know is what happens if Team USA qualifies for the USHL playoffs. Which group represents Team USA?

mkhopper

Jan 20, 2015
According to the scoring/roster sheets we received at the games last weekend, both the U18 and U17 games count in the standings as a single, combined Team USA. I do not believe the U18's games versus NCAA opponents count in the standings -- only games versus USHL opponents.

So in other words, those games U18 plays against NCAA teams, they get screwed out of standing points. Same for U17 when they play vs non-USHL teams (like their first two games vs Minnesota Elite teams). Got it.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
So in other words, those games U18 plays against NCAA teams, they get screwed out of standing points. Same for U17 when they play vs non-USHL teams (like their first two games vs Minnesota Elite teams). Got it.

Well, they are not playing USHL teams, so it makes sense that the games would not count in the USHL standings. I wouldn't say they are getting screwed -- the USNTDP isn't just about the USHL. It's about developing the top US junior players to compete internationally and prepare them for the next level, which may include the NCAA. Playing against NCAA teams helps with that mission.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Teemu Selanne sat next to us at tonight's game. His son Eetu plays for the Madison Capitols. He was getting requests for autographs and photos all night, and handled all the requests with class. :thumbu:

savepercentage

Oct 13, 2015
Wrong Island, N.Y.
Inamoto is still hurt, so the U17s are bringing in Cameron Babiak from Belle Tire to replace him in the series against Lincoln, in the spot that was Tommy Miller's last week.

UPDATE: They are still using Miller in addition to Babiak. Babiak is being used as an eighth defenseman.

Last edited:

GFHL

Feb 25, 2015
FLINTown
USA Hockey NTDP

Tonight's game is the @USHL Game of the Week! Stream free in HD on @FASTHockey.com! :popcorn:

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2010
Inamoto is still hurt, so the U17s are bringing in Cameron Babiak from Belle Tire to replace him in the series against Lincoln, in the spot that was Tommy Miller's last week.

UPDATE: They are still using Miller in addition to Babiak. Babiak is being used as an eighth defenseman.

Saw Miller play right before he got the call-up and remembered thinking "why the hell isn't Tommy Miller at the program?" Happy for him

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
The U-17's played well against Canada Red in the Exhibition on Friday. Some sloppy moments though as I'm sure the nerves of starting the tournament came into play just a bit. I really like Gildon, had a few turnovers but he shows great escapability and a nice reach when defending guys 1 on 1 because of his size. Moves really well out there. And does Tommy Miller play for Victory Honda's U-18 team? Just curious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad