USMNT Thread Part VIII

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
This 2nd half has sucked, oh well, a lot of young players getting more time and a Bradley cap that was badly needed

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
It was an eh game. Its nice to see a structure in place after not having one for like a year and a half. But its still very rough. Even though Gyasi scored I didn't think he played that particularly well. I'll let Morris slide since he's still coming back from an ACL. Trapp was pretty good today I thought. I thought Adams did well in his cm/rb position, but I still think he's better further up the pitch.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
It was nice to see direction and a system. I didnt think Morris was good and a good team can't be relying on zardes as a 9. The system didnt get enough touches for pulisic, but Ecuador were crazy defensive. I want Adam's and yedders on the pitch ar the same time tho

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It was nice to see direction and a system. I didnt think Morris was good and a good team can't be relying on zardes as a 9. The system didnt get enough touches for pulisic, but Ecuador were crazy defensive. I want Adam's and yedders on the pitch ar the same time tho
I think a better line up would have Pulisic on the wing. My biased line up (Seattle fan) would be

Weah-Morris/Sargent-Pulisic
McKennie-Bradley-Roldan/Kljestan/Djorde
Sweat/Villafana-Brooks-Miazga-Adams
Steffen

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The U23 team that is featuring lots of should be regulars for the MNT is taking it to the Netherlands right now.

Starting 11 is/was
Weah-Sargent-Ebbobisse
Mihailovic-Parks-Lindley
Robinson-CCV-Robinson-Araujo
Marcinkowski

Reactions: Roman Fell

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Turned on the Chile friendly and saw Bradley manning midfield so I turned it off. Total joke he’s still in the picture.
It really isn’t... who is going to take that spot?

After watching the games, I’ve decided it’s more of the same. I think we need to get our best roster nailed down. Obviously only 4 games in but it’s been like 4 years since we’ve known our best roster. Obviously it includes the likes of Adams, McKennie, and Pulisic. Outside of them though I really have no clue. Also it really depends on what system Berhalter wants to play. If he goes with a 541 like he ended the game with today then great. I actually think a 5311 is best though with Pulisic playing as a 10. I don’t know if I would trust Sargent yet and I definitely don’t trust the likes of Zardes or Wood up top. I think for now platooning Weah and Sargent would be our best bet. In midfield I think you have Adams and McKennie as two of the 3 in the back. I think you have to have Bradley in there with them though. Off the top of my head I can’t think of a single holding mid that plays the way Berhalter wants to other than Trapp and he is no where near good enough. Maybe Nagbe but I don’t know if he could play that position. Now if anyone has other thoughts here I’d love to hear them because I think this is our biggest problem right now. At CB I think the first two choices are easy in Brooks and Miazga. The third CB though would be difficult. I would say Zimmerman has the inside path with Long taking over eventually. You also have CCV and other players coming up that could fill that spot. The outside backs again are a little difficult. I think Yedlin is the easiest choice at RB. LB is a little more difficult with Robinson or Fabian Johnson taking that spot for me. Keeper is the easiest decision for me though with Steffen taking that spot by far for me right now.

Last edited:

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I hope these friendlies was a way for Berhalter to weed out some players. I don't really want to see Gonzalez or Ream back with the team. Both were really struggling with the high press today. While Gyasi played well today he's still going to be 4th or 5th string striker. Bradley was good at times and then other times felt like he was on an island and it wasn't until Trapp came in that it sort of settled the midfield. Bradley had a couple of excellent long balls today out to Baird who really didn't do anything with, but he short passing seemed a little off.

I really wished that if Berhalter was going to be the coach that he would've been hired in September. Because the games were are playing right now could've been done months ago and we could've gotten a head start on weeding out the trash players and incorporating fresh blood into the system and then Berhalter morphs his vision of the program. I understand his commitment to the Crew, but man I think it would've been great to get a head start on this instead of being 3 months and a couple of friendlies away from the Gold Cup. Add in the Federation's desperate need of qualifying for the Olympics really complicated things even further.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
If were going to use this strange formation that berbalter uses than...

Weah
Pulisic
McKennie Adams
Not Ream Brooks Miazga Yedlin
Steffan
Leaves 2 wing spots around pulisic and a Lb who can actually do something. Preferably the LB is someone with a lot of space because berhalter seems to want us to get up the pitch but we need quickness to retreat and defend. I like mckennie and Adams as our 2 CMs cuz they are versatile and athletic and are the best that we have right now. Bradley and Trapp can't close down space or attackers anymore.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I think our best XI if we are playing a must win tomorrow (say, the Gold Cup final):

-------------------Altidore
-------------------Pulisic
-------McKennie-----------Adams
FabJo-----------------------------Yedlin
------------------Bradley
-----Brooks-----Miazga-----Long
------------------Steffen

Leaves you with pretty strong options on the bench as well.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
We drew Canada and Cuba in Nations League. Whatever that means :laugh: is this the new WC qualifying?

I think this is supposed to be games that would normally be dates as friendlies except now its like an actual "competition" instead of a friendly. Or something like that idk

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
It seems like nothing more than prestige and for future seeding, at least this edition. Just another money grab by CONCACAF when USA-Mexico in all likelihood play another final in front of 80k fans in a NFL stadium

Reactions: Gecklund
Sep 19, 2008
Reactions: Basement Cat
Sep 19, 2008
Nigeria won earlier 4-0. USA under some pressure to win today. Ramos emphasizes a strong start.

Sep 19, 2008
Episode 74: U20 World Cup — Ukraine v USA review
The Scuffed Soccer Podcast | USMNT, Yanks Abroad, MLS, futbol in America
Duration: 49:14
Published: Fri, 24 May 2019 22:23:35 +0000
Episode: https://scuffed.simplecast.com/episodes/episode-74-u20-world-cup-ukraine-v-usa-kaOLFc8w
Media: https://cdn.simplecast.com/audio/78...2632/Scuffed_Vol_74_FINAL_tc.mp3?aid=rss_feed
Podcast: The Scuffed Soccer Podcast | USMNT, Yanks Abroad, MLS, futbol in America Podcast Republic
<p>No spoilers here, but we talk about the game and the game ahead against Nigeria. Tab trotted out a lineup with some headscratchers against a very tough and organized Ukraine side.</p>
<p>Thank you ...
Subscribe to this podcast: https://feeds.simplecast.com/PXmMg5tG
----
Sent from Podcast Republic 19.05.13R
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.itunestoppodcastplayer.app

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Fans deserve a refund for that performance. I've been a proponent of Berhalter, but holy **** that was ****ty "soccer"

Duane Holmes was hardly on the pitch tonight and actually looked the part.

Tough night, glad the fans booed them as they deserve that. It was pathetic.

I don't like watching guys look like they don't want to be there whenever I am watching a national team. Felt like that tonight. I am not sure what to do with that. But if that is your audition for bigger roles and future camps shame on a bunch of guys. Turn on the game on Saturday gentleman, there are players over in Poland already hunting your job that look more technically skilled and actually play like they give a ****.

Reactions: kingsboy11

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
We play so many matches with lesser players. Feels like we havent had a real A team match in 2 years. Trapp is abysmal. I feel like hes the next washed up version of Michael Bradley. Coaches pet that can never get close to an opposing player in the midfield and spends most of the game jogging around in the midfield while the game passes them by.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We play so many matches with lesser players. Feels like we havent had a real A team match in 2 years. Trapp is abysmal. I feel like hes the next washed up version of Michael Bradley. Coaches pet that can never get close to an opposing player in the midfield and spends most of the game jogging around in the midfield while the game passes them by.
We also just have a lack of talent in general.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->